• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Quetiapine (Seroquol) for anxiety?

ive used it for sleeping but it would probably be helpful for anxiety i would say because when i wake up in the morning i feel like a zombie and nothing matters lol so i would think it would help with anxiety?

It might do, but it's so sedating I can't imagine it could be practical for agoraphobia. It'll definitely help if you're struggling to sleep at night because of anxiety or ruminations, but it's not really something to take regularly.

It is an anxiolytic, but it acts more like SSRIs rather than benzos. I take seroquil and carbamoxepine for anxiety, depression, and sleeping. Seroquil is a sleep aide, antipsychotic medicine, ad well as a mood stabilizer. I find that it definitely helps me, but it isn't evident until you've been using it for a few weeks.

It is an antipsychotic... Anxiety & sleep aid are its off label uses. If i were you I would have a search around the Internet, see people's experiences, then make the decision for yourself. I was given 50mg as a mood stabiliser a few weeks ago when it was very much needed, now I've read some online i have reduced down to 12.5mg with the view to stopping in a couple of weeks.

It works brilliantly for both sleep and anxiety for me, but the withdrawal i have seen likened to a benzo & opiate withdrawal at once if you become dependent, I really dont fancy that

I would try out hydroxyzine for anxiety if you want a non-benzodiazepine, anti-histamine drug for anxiety. Atarax is definitely the only drug that isn't GABAergic that I find comes close to putting a dent in my anxiety.

As has already been said, Seroquel is an antipsychotic.
More specifically, it is an Atypical Antipsychotic that has very little effect on dopamine receptors (so there is very little chance of developing movement disorders, even during long-term high-dose treatment). Instead, it effectively blocks serotonin and histamine receptors, resulting in some very intense sedation (atleast early on in the treatment) and mad munchies. Personally, I hated it, but I also met plenty of people who were very happy with it. Indeed, some people not only find the drug to be a useful anxiolytic/sleep aid/mood stabilizer, but they actually feel an increased sense of motivation because of the noradrenergic action of its metabolite, Norquetiapine.

So my advice... give the stuff a chance. And grit your teeth through the first few days of treatment, when the antihistaminergic effects will leave you fucking floored well into the following morning. Like all antipsychotics, it's not something for everyone (it sure wasn't for me), but if it does work for you, then go for it.

Thanks for the informative replies. I take an anti-histamine now so looks like when on Seroquel I wont need it :)

Atarax does not seem available in the UK :(

It helped with anxiety but I also walked around like the living dead. Mirtazapine helped a lot with my anxiety but wasn't as sedating.

Already prescribed 2 different benzos can you believe! Clonazepam and Diazepam but have been on them for so many years now that I am in tolerance so I currently very slowly tapering off Clonazepam. I am also on Celexa.....Anxiety is so bad, cant even leave my home so been told to try Seroqual......Bit worried though as reading on the net it seems like a knock out drug? Benzos were amazing when I first started taking them many years ago, never knew till only a few months ago that long term use of benzos actually makes anxiety even worse than before starting them :(

I love and regulary take Seroquel as a sleep aid. After 10 years of use, 25-50mg works like the first day
But in day-time for anxiety for me it's unthinkable, too strong.

I love and regulary take Seroquel as a sleep aid. After 10 years of use, 25-50mg works like the first day
But in day-time for anxiety for me it's unthinkable, too strong.

As in what way George is it too strong to use in the day, makes you really tired?

As in what way George is it too strong to use in the day, makes you really tired?

As I said, especially early on in the treatment, Seroquel can feel extremely sedating - as I like to describe it, the hangover from an evening dose of Seroquel may leave you feeling "golden" the next morning - "golden" as in "twice as heavy as leaden" :D

However, there are many patients who take Seroquel during the day (usually split into a dose of IR Seroquel at bedtime, and a dose of XR Seroquel during daytime hours) and while it is still somewhat sedating, many patients quickly build up sufficient tolerance to the sedation that the anti-anxiety effect of their daytime dose, coupled with the noradrenaline boost from the Norquetiapine metabolite, makes the drug feel enabling rather than impairing for them.

Sure, you might also be among the people who find they cannot tolerate the drug at all, but I urge you to give it atleast two weeks, because the overwhelming sedation is the first thing your body learns to handle.

Last edited:

Sleepy and tired, as a hypnotic should do.
An anxiolitic should only take the anxiety away with no real sleepiness.

At the dose I use, it is actually just an hypnotic
"At very low doses, quetiapine acts primarily as a histamine receptor blocker (antihistamine) and α1-adrenergic blocker. When the dose is increased, quetiapine activates the adrenergic system and binds strongly to serotonin receptors and autoreceptors. At high doses, quetiapine starts blocking significant amounts of dopamine receptors."

Last edited:
Thanks greatly for such informative replies, this forum has some great members. I will give it a try and but hope it works as being stuck indoors everyday is driving me mad. If I go outside even for a half a mile drive my anxiety goes off the scale..... Can't understand why it's become so bad, although reading on the net it seems like my anxiety has become so bad due to very long term benzo use?