• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Questions for you about my prescriptions

Pinkbeam

Bluelighter
Hi guys, as I've already confessed in several threads, I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Depression. I have been on Effexor and Abilify for three years now and they really seem to do their job.

However, I am a meth user and as of the last three months, after a 15 month sober streak, i am now unable to get high due to my antipsychotics and I am not happy about this.

So, I have some questions.
1. Effexor isn't the problem, it's the Abilify, right?
2. What is the difference between the two meds? Why do I need both?
3. Anyone have any experience with getting off Abilify?
4. If I were to wean myself off the Abilify and stay on the Effexor, do you think I'd be able to get high again?
5. I know everyone is different, but do you think that getting off Abilify but staying on the Effexor would make a difference in my general wellbeing and mental health that I'd notice?
6. Why could I still feel the meth the first two years I was on the meds, but in the last three months I cant?
7. Any other advice or thoughts about my situation?
8.What would u do if u were in my situation?
9.How long is someone expected to take these meds? For life?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Abilify is a "dopamine stabilizer", if there's such a term.

I think in people with BPD (i also am being treated for a similar personality disorder.. of sorts) there is a chance one can become psychotic with the mercurial mood swings.

It's really a case by case basis, but the fact that a trained professional thinks you'd do better on abilify suggests you are prone to psychosis, in one way or another.

Look I'm wicked glad these are working for you. It takes a while to find the right combo, i know.

If i were you, id cut out the meth. I had good times on it surely, but it's not a healthy life style. Furthermore.. You're doing well! That's awesome. And who knows if you'd be able to get high again. APs take a while, ive heard, to fully recover from.

Let me know if you want me to move this to Mental Health. You'll get more attention here in Other Drugs, but maybe more experience reports in MH. I can even leave a redirect from here to MH so it shows up in both subforums.

Peace and be well.

I think some honesty with yourself is necessary here! Because as addicts (not labeling you at all) we self-medicate ourselves for days on end with god knows what..

When in reality maybe diagnosing the underlying condition would make us barely have to self-medicate to begin with? I can't see anything positive coming out of meth use especially as time passes. If it is truly important to you then, other than switching medications I'm not sure how to bypass this dilemma!

I think I have to echo madness’ sentiments. It takes a while to find a good med combo. You’re lucky you found it. Drop the meth, keep your sanity. You’ll be glad you did it.