• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questions about opium poppy consumption

Preytor

Bluelighter
Thought I would try my luck with some questions here. It seems much harder to get information on opium poppies compared to psychedelics or other drugs so I hope you nice people can help me out.

Some background to start off. I spread some Lauren's grape poppy seeds around my back garden and one plant sprouted with about 5 pods on it. Since it is the only plant that I got, I want to be efficient with it. I have never used any opiate other than a bit of Kratom before so no tolerance. What I would like to know is:
  1. I have heard the leaves contain some morphine. Is it worth chewing on a couple by themselves or are they too weak and I should just combine it with the pods
  2. I am planning on drawing incisions on one of the pod to get the latex to smoke as a tester. Will the latex from a single pod be enough or should I skip it and go straight to tea which is stronger
  3. In terms of harvesting the pods, should I cut them off after a week of having their leaves shed, and let them dry on a plate inside or is it better to let them dry on the plant for better content
  4. Finally, how should I go about trying the strength of the pods? Should I grind half and go from there? I realize that content varies a lot so I would like to be reasonably safe with it while still getting some effects
Thank you all

There are some that can provide charts or images that will really help with the things you are asking.

The only input I can give is to really proceed with caution here. ONE pod sometimes is as strong as four and four pods sometimes are duds. You never know what the potency is going to be like. So I'd not consume more until you're really sure the effects are weak and it's okay to do so. People overdose on heroin frequently but you don't hear about the opium overdoses as often. People do overdose on pods sometimes.

There are many varieties of Papaver somniferum, ranging from those that are high in alkaloid content and are used for opium production, to ornamental cultivars which have minimal alkaloid content. I've no idea where 'Lauren's grape' falls on this scale, but a quick Google search suggests it probably falls more into the ornamental category. Someone posted an excellent chart in another poppy thread showing the relative morphine content of a number of varieties. I'll try and find it.

But to answer your questions:

1. Pretty much all of the plant contains morphine to varying degrees except for the seeds. Pharmaceutical production just takes the whole plant and extracts the goodies chemically. But they have acres of plants to utilise. Just chewing on a couple of leaves will do bugger all apart from quite possibly making you puke.

2. Don't bother scoring the pods for the latex. Although it looks a lot when its seeping out, it's mainly water and dries to fuck all - especially with only 5 pods to play with. Furthermore, the raw opium isn't very good for smoking as it contains a lot of plant matter. To obtain smoking opium it should be dissolved in water, filtered and dried. This leaves even less product.

3. Your best bet is to leave the pods on the plant until the crown is standing straight up revealing the holes underneath where the seeds are dispersed from. Then you can chop the pods, shake out the seeds for next years harvest then air dry the pods in the sun until they're very brittle. They can then be crushed and used to make tea.

4. Gauging the potency is very difficult as there are many variables at play, such as the cultivar and your climate. With just 5 pods to play with, you haven't got much room for experimentation. I personally would brew them all and see what happens. But you should really err on the side of caution and start with one just in case they are particularly potent.

You really need more plants tbh. When I first started growing poppies the germination rate was abysmal. But with each successive year in the same soil it just got better and better. Patience and cautious experimentation is the key.

There are many varieties of Papaver somniferum, ranging from those that are high in alkaloid content and are used for opium production, to ornamental cultivars which have minimal alkaloid content. I've no idea where 'Lauren's grape' falls on this scale, but a quick Google search suggests it probably falls more into the ornamental category. Someone posted an excellent chart in another poppy thread showing the relative morphine content of a number of varieties. I'll try and find it.

You really need more plants tbh. When I first started growing poppies the germination rate was abysmal. But with each successive year in the same soil it just got better and better. Patience and cautious experimentation is the key.

Hey thanks a lot for the information, really helps out. Yeah I know I would need more but I spread two different batches of seeds both in my backyard and the little forest near my house but this is the only one that sprouted. Harder for me to get addicted at least.

I picked Lauren's grape because it had one of the highest contents in one of those charts I had a look at and some other people have confirmed it is a strong strain. Should be fine but I need to be a bit careful.

I was told to use the entire plant. I will take it inside since it rains a lot here and I don't think I can really leave it outside to dry. I was thinking of trying to get the stems and leaves to dry in a cupboard and play it safe with the pods in case there is mold. Would storing them fresh in a mason jar inside the freezer be alright while I start off with tea from half a pod?

I have heard the leaves contain some morphine. Is it worth chewing on a couple by themselves or are they too weak and I should just combine it with the pods

I dont know. I would guess that chewing just the leaves wont do anything.

I am planning on drawing incisions on one of the pod to get the latex to smoke as a tester. Will the latex from a single pod be enough or should I skip it and go straight to tea which is stronge

Slicing the pods for opium takes an incredible amount of effort, and its not worth it my opinion. One pod definitely does not produce enough opium to smoke. I would make tea instead.

In terms of harvesting the pods, should I cut them off after a week of having their leaves shed, and let them dry on a plate inside or is it better to let them dry on the plant for better content

I'm not entirely sure here either. When I grew some opium I think I let them dry partially on the plant, and partially afterwards inside and that seemed to work. Was it the most effective method, dont know.

Finally, how should I go about trying the strength of the pods? Should I grind half and go from there? I realize that content varies a lot so I would like to be reasonably safe with it while still getting some effects

Start slow. If memory serves I used to make tea out of about 30grams of pods and that seemed to work. But again, better to start slow and work your way up. If you want a more standardized product, I dont see why you couldn't grind them down and mix them it all up.. but it still wont be completely reliable. Do you have an opioid tolerance?

Maybe someone else will know more than me. good luck.