• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

questioning concurrent stimulation of gaba-a and gaba-b

busted.produk

Bluelighter
Probably should post this in neuroscience section but figured the mods should make that call....

So my question is:
Does anyone know the accute(and/or long-term) benefits(or drawbacks) of simultaneously stimulating the gaba-a and gaba-b receptors?
I cant seem to find any scholarly articles(or studies) pertaining to this topic.
Im curious to whether this would be beneficial to those with gaba related "issues".
Any info, theories or links on this topic would be helpful...
Thanx folks

I've been on concoction prescriptions such as Klonopin, Phenobarbital, soma, temazapam, combined with lyrica/Gabapentin, baclofen .... The list goes on. But gaba is my void. Some don't synergies, some do, some are good, some suck. No answer just an input.
Favorite dose:
Temazapam 120mg
Klonopin 6 mg
Soma good strong dose
Baclofen roughly 200mg
Lyrica relatively low-mid dose
Butalbital

Add a few bags of dope with some speed handy and I'm a happy boy

But ya, up da Gabba?

Judging by the only response ive received so far, i guess i need to clarify my question.
Has anyone come accross any research papers or scientific data regarding simultaneous modulation(upregulation, downregulation, stimulation etc...) of gaba-a and gaba-b specifically?

Im not asking about drug combos per se. The specific drugs used in any research is secondary to the information on the results provided...if that makes clear enough sense.

Im curious as to affect/effect in mamalian brains and the possible outcome of targeting gaba as a whole.

Thanx

Last edited:
I know very little.

GABAA and GABAB are very different.

But, from a logical point of view, taking drugs that affect both and assuming you take these every day and that the drugs are long-acting, this will result in faster adaptations to other neurotransmitters like glutamate and others.

I'd like to add: polypharmacy is a bitch.

Im curious as to affect/effect in mamalian brains and the possible outcome of targeting gaba as a whole.

I think it is a mistake to think of GABA-A and GABA-B signaling this way (that they are part of an unified GABAergic signaling system). The receptors have completely different distribution patterns and functions (e.g., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15749345). It is possible that in some circuits different populations of GABAergic neurons target GABA-A and GABA-B receptors.

I think it is a mistake to think of GABA-A and GABA-B signaling this way (that they are part of an unified GABAergic signaling system).

I was thinking along the lines of if both were being targeted(up/down, down/up, up/up, down/down, etc) at the same time, could it produce a completely different outcome(medicinal) and function than targeting either alone.

Thanx for the responses(and link) folks..

Thirst for knowledge and all....

I was thinking along the lines of if both were being targeted(up/down, down/up, up/up, down/down, etc) at the same time, could it produce a completely different outcome(medicinal) and function than targeting either alone.

I understood what you are looking for, but I think it will be difficult to find much research -- most investigators have assumed that modulating GABA-A and GABA-B simultaneously would be more likely to disrupt normal function compared to a more selective approach.

Last edited:
I understood what you are looking for, but I think it will be difficult to find much research -- most investigators have assumed that modulating GABA-A and GABA-B simultaneously would be more likely to disrupt normal function compared to a more selective approach.

Gotchya....
I appreciate the input.
Thanx