• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question: Very odd reactions to psychedelic drugs, don't know what's going on.

CouchedPOTato

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

So this is my first post on here, although I've read quite a lot of content on Bluelight in the past. The question I have for you all is about my girlfriend and various issues she's had when trying a couple of drugs. I am a lot more into chemically altering my mind and do so regularly, mainly cannabis but also tripped 1P-LSD a couple of times recently on fairly small doses (50-100ug) as well as poppers and nitrous oxide.

My girlfriend doesn't drink or smoke weed, but has tried 1P-LSD and nitrous oxide both once and is partial to the odd popper here and there. She also has anxiety and subsequently suffered a rather nasty panic attack on 1P-LSD when me and the other person tripping left her alone for a bit, which was a very stupid move on both our parts. After we helped ground her and pull her out of the panic she found she couldn't speak until the next morning, although she was perfectly coherent when typing to us on the laptop in order to communicate. This was very odd but me and our other tripping buddy smoked a spliff, had a couple of beers and chilled out for the rest of the evening, convincing ourselves that she would recover. Luckily she was able to speak perfectly normally once again the following morning.

This evening we both tried nos for the first time, cracking the whippets into a balloon, and inhaling one each. I found it rather underwhelming, a slight lightheaded feeling but nothing more. She however passed out for a few seconds and upon awakening found once again that she couldn't speak, just like before. The strangest thing about all this is that she can do everything else she normally can, even speak coherently in other languages, but when she tries to speak in english all that happens is her mouth moves slightly and no sound comes out. She's not panicking or particularly anxious this time and the symptom is still persisting, about 45 minutes later.

Have any of you had experiences like this or know anything about what might be happening here?

Last edited:
Interesting reaction, however I wouldn't necessarily say it'd be uncommon or even of particular concern (unless it really alarms her, though it doesn't seem so). It's likely just psychological, and as a result of the thought patterns she may be having.

While I haven't quite experienced the same thing, I've had similar with mushrooms whereby I was being so overwhelmed by my surroundings (loud nightclub...lol) I couldn't think. Thanks to the mushrooms inhibiting my ability to focus on any one source of sound at a time, I literally couldn't manage enough thought process to speak words.

Hey man, cheers for the reply! The main person worried by this is me to be honest, the two times it's happened it made me worry that I've broken her. It doesn't bother her particularly unless she's already panicking, but it is a bit of an odd and inconvenient situation as it makes it difficult for her to experiment with things for fear of this happening. Both times were low doses, the nos was about three quarters of a balloon and the 1P-LSD was around 25ug in total, about a quarter of a standardised 'research'-blotter. Neither time was she overwhelmed by her surroundings as it has always happened in a quiet, comfortable suburban house. she does seem to have very atypical reactions to psychoactive substances in general but this is very strange indeed and made me worry something was amiss.

This is really interesting. I wonder if something could be happening at a neurological level. Doesn't this kind of thing sometimes happen to people suffering from certain neurological problems? Perhaps people who have suffered from strokes etc?

(Not at all to say that your girlfriend has had a stroke obviously, BTW)

Yeah I thought that, but she is 20 and hasn't had any head injuries or anything and aside from the anxiety is mentally sound, and intelligent. She can vocalise things in other languages perfectly fine atm but is unable to do so in english and resorts to typing things out for me to read.

Quick update guys, she just was able to start speaking again and was back to normality almost instantly. We have concluded that both of these episodes were caused by panic and not the psychedelics themselves.

On 1P- LSD at one point me and the other friend tripping with us decided to go for a walk in the park and left my rather nervous girlfriend alone in the house, which caused her to freak out and enter a full on panic attack as she was also seeing unexpected visuals and stuff. The nos caused her to black out this time, which she didn't expect after watching me huff down a balloon and remaining coherent (I guess she's just not as hardcore druggy as me :p).

As such we have concluded that it was more a lack of preparation and proper forwarning on my part, and that if she knows every possibility before trying anything she will probably not panic in the event of something weird happening. Cheers for all the replies dudes, really appreciate it :)

This is really interesting. I wonder if something could be happening at a neurological level. Doesn't this kind of thing sometimes happen to people suffering from certain neurological problems? Perhaps people who have suffered from strokes etc?

(Not at all to say that your girlfriend has had a stroke obviously, BTW)

Possible, given the diversity of brain damage possible from a stroke (location and severity), however as someone who's unfortunately suffered a stroke back in '05 I haven't noted any potentially related effects/issues while tripping, or on any substance for that matter. Besides possibly my 'hard head' tolerance, whereby I seemingly require that bit more than others to experience the same intensity.

The only remaining effect of my stroke is a blind spot in my mid/upper left vision.

For what it's worth :)

Yeah I thought that, but she is 20 and hasn't had any head injuries or anything and aside from the anxiety is mentally sound, and intelligent. She can vocalise things in other languages perfectly fine atm but is unable to do so in english and resorts to typing things out for me to read.

Is English her 2nd or 3rd language, or not her native language that she speaks?

At least now you know it was panic/anxiety. A lot of people keep a low dose of a benzo on hand for these when they take drugs.

English is her first language although she is doing a language degree currently so she spends a good amount of her time speaking other languages. We've also ordered some pyrazolam to help mellow her out in the event of a drug induced panic attack so the likelihood of it occurring again is pretty low, touch wood.