• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question regarding switching from suboxone to methadone

Jowieseff

Bluelighter
Hey, I had a question. If somebody is on 16 mgs of suboxone, and they switched to 20 mgs of methadone and +5 mgs every week until 70 mgs, would you expect that person to feel sick from the transition. I think 20-70 mgs of methadone is quite weak, although a certain doctor apparently seems to differ.

If anybody has any opinions on this I'd really appreciate the help and reply, Thank you!

I switched from 8 mg of Suboxone to methadone and was nodding out on 40 mg day three.

It’s way stronger than Suboxone

You may feel off from 20-40 mg but it’ll hold you or you won’t be fully withdrawaling

I doubt you'll have too much trouble. It'd be better if you could increase by 5mg every few days rather than every week.

You might feel a bit sick when it's time to have your next dose till you get up to 40mg,but after that I wouldn't expect you to have to much trouble.

Huge disclaimer though, I've only been on methadone, I don't have personal experience with subuxone.

What I can say though is 70mg of methadone is by no means weak. I've seen even pretty serious heroin habits nodding on 60mg. Methadone is strong shit.

I’m sorry I misread your post. I agree with Jess my clinic let me go up 5 mg every day.

Can they not start you on 30 mg?

Thats a very slow titration from 20 to 70MG! Highest I was on was 67ML or 67MG with 1MG/ML solution going back a good few years, and they started me off on 30, that seems a normal 'starter' dose round here.

I was only put up to 67 as I kept using, I have heard of quite a lot higher but I felt once I stopped using that amount was huge for me.

I'm currently on 6MG of Sub's a day as I relapsed and that is holding me. I think from 16MG of Subutex or Suboxone to just 20MG of methadone will make you feel rough though seeing the difference between the two drugs and the strength. 16MG is a fairly big dose, you really need to speak to the Dr and try to get that sorted as it is a huge drop.

I’m sorry I misread your post. I agree with Jess my clinic let me go up 5 mg every day.

Can they not start you on 30 mg?

Every day? Lucky bastard. :D

Here the max I've been allowed to start on is 40mg, going up 5mg every 2 days.

And that was after pleading at a new clinic that I'd already spent over a year failing to get stable in methadone because they insisted on starting me on 30mg and only letting me increase by 5 every 4 days, and if I miss a couple days I had to start over. It was pointless cause I'd just be sick, so I'd get heroin, so I'd miss my dose.

Finally I got a doctor that believed me and let me go up faster.

Thats a very slow titration from 20 to 70MG! Highest I was on was 67ML or 67MG with 1MG/ML solution going back a good few years, and they started me off on 30, that seems a normal 'starter' dose round here.

I was only put up to 67 as I kept using, I have heard of quite a lot higher but I felt once I stopped using that amount was huge for me.

I'm currently on 6MG of Sub's a day as I relapsed and that is holding me. I think from 16MG of Subutex or Suboxone to just 20MG of methadone will make you feel rough though.

EDIT: I am NOT a dr obviously and only trying to give advice, a comparison I found compares 8MG of Buprenorphine to around 60MG methadone when it comes to maintenance.

EDIT 2: Sorry for the double post as well, didn't show as posted.

Hey guys so I just did my first induction, I was able to get the doc to start me on 30 MGS going up 5 MGS every 3 days. Do you think I will be okay or will I be sick?

I have Kratom at home do you think I will be okay taking that for the first few days ?

really it depends on your experience with methadone.
I was doing 16-32 mgs of bupe a day. My first day at the methadone clinic, 30 mgs had me feeling normal and 40 mgs two days later had me on cloud 9.
So yeah, when they say that methadone is strong, they are not joking.
And oh yeah, anyone reading this post that is thinking of switching from bupe to methadone, wait like 48 hours and be honest with your clinic/doctor about your last dose. Despite bupe being a partial agonist, it has an absurdly high binding affinity to the mu receptor. IE, it will block the effects of other opioids until it's run its course.

Hey guys so I just did my first induction, I was able to get the doc to start me on 30 MGS going up 5 MGS every 3 days. Do you think I will be okay or will I be sick?

I have Kratom at home do you think I will be okay taking that for the first few days ?

Depending on your tolerance you might be a bit sick in the first few days but it probably won't be anything too bad, and it should stop pretty quick.

The few days is mainly building up your methadone levels, so 30mg might do shit in the first couple days but start becoming much more noticeable after that.

Hey guys I've been okay last night I had some psychological difference and took some Kratom. Today is feeling better than yesterday and I assume once I start 35 mgs everything will be normal again 🙃