• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Question regarding science of smoking meth

AmphetamineAficionado

Greenlighter
Alright I’m geeking rn, and this has always bothered me. So I know crystal meth chemically is methamphetamine hydrochloride, and by heating it you are freebasing the hydrochloride salt. My question here is where does the +hcl go when you freebase?

Check out this thread:
https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...scientific-research-into-this-subject.907870/

The meth hydrochloride is fairly heat-stable and has a high vapor pressure, which means it can be volatilized when heated. The process produces an aerosol which should be a mixture of different phases, this is the stage where an equilibrium could be found between freebase meth, which is likely to be present in the gas phase, and meth hydrochloride within the liquid phase (probably as small droplets).

However, theres almost no litterature on the topic of meth smoke/vapor...
I think most of the HCl (probably) remains somewhere within the liquid phase, in any case there has to be some kind of interaction going on.
If real HCl gas was produced during the volatilization process, and didn't interact with anything, then I don't see how it could be able to recombine with the freebase when the vapor condenses on the inside of the pipe as meth hydrochloride. HCl gas is extremely volatile (once it's formed) so most of it should escape the aerosol/vapor if there was nothing holding it there.