• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Question on hybrid ratio, indica or sativa??

jeng1128

Bluelighter
So I went down to my local dispensary and had my "initial consult" with the pharmacist. We just got dispensaries here in Ct, so it's a work in progress. Anyway I'm an indica person (well sativa too but as far as for medicinal use I need indica.) So for some strange reason my state wants to call strains names like Theraplant 1009(at least that's what this is called.) So I asked him the genetics. It's apparently Grape Stomper(aka Sour Grapes) crossed with Alien Tahoe OG. So I ask him is it indica/sativa dominant and the ratio. He tells me indica 80/20. Of course by this time he had all my paperwork and knew what I needed it for and everything. Now we only have 6 strains(basically all sativa) but this strain literally just came in that day. It's the most expensive but also has the highest thc content(@ 23.8%) so tbh I would've bought it anyway.
So I go home to smoke. And got super high but I'm in no way a novice and I knew this couldn't be a true indica. So I did some research. I found out Sour Grapes (Grape Stomper) is a 60/40 sativa dominant hybrid and Alien Tahoe OG is 60/40 indica dominant hybrid. Now I'm no math wiz but wouldn't that makes it a true 50/50 hybrid?? I just feel like he misled me, and that's not cool. I mean I smoked a joint at 3am to get to sleep not to be up at 5am still.

Ok so... it's not a 50/50 indica-sativa hybrid. It's a polyhybrid of a huge amount of different strains. The lineage of which are not even known, yet (DNA testing may give some theories in the future).

The 60/40, 40/60, 80/20 percentages are all just made up by someone trying to come up with some kind of description of effects and growth patterns. Were you mislead? I suppose so, or maybe you just have different definitions of what the information means.

Dividing into indica and sativa is pretty silly anyway. There's a huge amount of variance among both thin-leaved and broad-leaved drug genotypes. And when we're talking about unstable polyhybrids made up of lots of different kinds of strains pretty much anything can pop up so it's even sillier to make these divisions.

Perhaps you need to start asking your dispensary for weed by telling them what kind of medical needs you have and asking what they would recommend for them...

I did tell them. Mainly insomnia. They knew exactly why I was there and I've had plenty of strains that could knock me out, this just isn't one. I just feel like my dispensary doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

That's very possible. Give them some customer feedback and maybe they'll learn to give better recommendations.

Yah thanks, I plan on it. I know we're not supposed to talk about prices on here, but these are dispensary not black market prices. I really feel like when a dispensary charges $520/30 grams, and the lowest amount I could purchase was 10 grams/$190(which is a lot of money no matter which way you look at it) and they couldn't give me correct information really pissed me off. The whole "we don't use strain names" I feel is another tactic by the distributor(my state currently only has one, therefore no competition) and the fact that they don't sell buds (it's ground up, not to the extent of putting it thru a grinder but they break it all up for some unknown reason(well there is a reason it's part of our state law which makes zero sense) just left me feeling well....really pissed off!��

I didn't think that hybrid ratio was based on the parent plants but rather the CBD/CBN to THC ratio? With sativa dominant being very high in THC but very low in other cannibinoids?

I'm not in any way an expert in strains though, considering I need to buy on the black market and always get lied to about strains or the dealer has no idea what they have. They just say "Yeah it's bomb shit!" -.-
I wish I had the luxury of a dispensary, or even just an area where people actually knew what they were talking about when it comes to strains.

The only time I can actually have any clue to what I'm smoking is when it's some form of kush. Kush has a very very distinct smell/taste that I can pinpoint instantly

Fuck those prices are insane, especially when people are going to mislead you about the effects of the particular strain you are buying, that is fucked up!

I don't know shit about Alien Tahoe OG but believe you are correct that Grape Stomper being sativa dominant. A friend of mine popped some beans of a Grape Stomper cross recently, and even though it is crossed with an indica dominant strain the effects of this particular cross are described by the breeder as being a thought provoking high.

Yah I obviously don't plan on buying from the dispensary on a regular basis since I can get the same weed at half the price, I just wanted to go there once, see how it was & if they knew their shit (which they either didn't or do but just wanted me to buy the most expensive strain they had.) I know it has to be sativa dominant because I get really bad insomnia, and if I smoke day Blueberry Kush, that shit knocks me out. Another tell tale indica sign is the munchies(which I'd rather not have, but it just comes w that.) So last week I was still up at 3:30 so I decided to smoke a joint of this supposed indica strain & it woke me up even more. Even when the high was wearing off (sometimes if I smoke a hybrid I have to wait until the high wears off to get tired) I was even more awake, with no munchies to speak of. Don't get me wrong it had a 24% thc content so it was great weed, but not what I needed it for medically (and that's the whole point of mmj, right?!!? They (the dispensary) play this whole we care about you & your needs so much which I believe is complete bs. I just got an oz of Cherry Pie (not from the dispensary) which is also a hybrid strain(Grand daddy purple x Durbin poison) which at first doesn't put me to sleep (u really feel the Durban poison first) but after an hour the GDP hits you, and you can get relaxed and sleepy. Bomb strain, never had it before but I feel like Durban Poison was meant to be cross bread w GDP, the smell & taste is so great. But the difference between that hybrid and the one I got from the dispensary(I'm guessing) is instead of crossing 2 hybri ds that are sativa dominant, it's a full sativa strain crossed with an full indica strain. Our dispensaries currently suck. How are you going to sell 5grams for $95 & have that be the lowest amount you can buy? They don't sell it like grams, eighths,quarters,ext. They start @ 5grams (being the lowest) going up by 10,15,20,25 & 30 grams being the highest. We're the only state that dispensaries sell amounts like that. And the whole were not going to call it whatever strain it is were going to call it Theraplant1006, you can only know the parents never the actual strain (which I'm pretty sure they do know but won't say) which I have no clue why they would do that!

^ That is some shady shit but from what I have read on the US MMJ game it is not super surprising, there are definitely legit outfits who care about their patients medical needs, but it also seems like a shitload of people who have their card are just looking to get high and there are a lot of dispensaries who are taking advantage of that. Hopefully as legal cannabis becomes more mainstream businesses will be forced to be more honest about their product because the consumer will be educated enough to tell the difference.

BTW, not that it really matters, and I could be totally wrong here, but I am fairly certain that Cherry Pie is GDP x F1 Durban (a Durban Poison cross), as I have heard the story, GDP, F1 Durban and a specific cut of OG Kush were all in the same flower room when the F1 Durban turned herm and pollinated both the GDP and the OG Kush cut, from the seeds of each of these strains came Cherry Pie and Girl Scout Cookies respectively.

Also, it could be different when you are talking about legal weed, because I know people can mention the prices of alcohol and cigarettes in other forums, but normally you are not allowed to mention prices for cannabis in this forum.

drug mentor said:
Fuck those prices are insane, especially when people are going to mislead you about the effects of the particular strain you are buying, that is fucked up!
Right?!
I thought Aussie blackmarket prices were a bit steep...

^ To be honest though it is all relative, a few years ago in Australia most weed that I could buy was of a good quality, it had a lot of crystals and would chop out well, had a strong smell, gave a good high and didn't taste like fucking shit. This good quality cannabis was more or less the same price as the going rate for the shit that passes as cannabis nowadays, maybe like 10% more expensive on average when buying ounces but easily worth it.

I can occasionally still get good cannabis on the black market, but it is so hit and miss, usually miss. Up until early this year I still had one connect who always brought the quality, but he is out of the game now. Sadly, it seems that low quality cannabis grown by Bikie Gangs and Asian crime syndicates is dominating the shit out of the market at the moment. They are just growing high yield, low potency strains and treating them with PGR's which are carcinogenic and not supposed to be used on consumable crops, but because there is obviously no regulation of the black market most commercial growers do not hesitate to use them. This same weed is rarely flushed and you can bet is pretty much never cured.

MMJ prices in the USA can be fairly exorbitant, but if you have your local scene sussed out then you should be going to a reputable place and really, for the most part, you are actually getting what you pay for. When you can select from a wide variety of strains that have been grown organically by a knowledgeable grower, tested for their cannabanoid contents, manicured by hand and properly dried and cured you have to be willing to pay for the privilege or why would anybody in the industry bother taking it to such a high standard.

The prices mentioned by the OP are pretty ridiculous, but I think the fact they are on the East Coast accounts for that somewhat, I have read some pretty ludicrous prices for black market weed on the East Coast USA that is not even particularly good.

Last edited:
I guess what I mean is that most (not all) consumer items and goods generally are much cheaper in the USA.
The american minimum wage is lower, Australia's is pretty good, and a way it (sometimes almost) balances out. A bit.
But to me, when something like weed costs more in the US - and legally - I'm pretty blown away.
Consider the price of coke or heroin in the US compared to Australia.

Having said that...one thing that definitely costs more in the USA than Australia is medicine (both medical care and prescription drugs, thanks to govt subsidised healthcare) - so in a sad way this follows some kind of logic.

btw please don't misinterpret my remarks as disparaging of America. Just an observation.

^ Coke and heroin are generally manufactured in very poor areas of already poor Countries though, what a large scale grower pays in electricity, nutrients, grow medium etc. would be a fucking fortune in most regions of the World where hard drugs are produced.

I have noticed that consumer items are much cheaper in the US, we do earn good wages here but they really don't make up the entire difference. The thing is, at least in the circles I roll in (and everyone I fucking know smokes weed, most of them daily...) you simply do not have access to cannabis that is likely comparable in quality in any way to the cannabis that the OP bought for the price he stated. If you were to look at lesser quality black market weed in much of the US it probably would be considerably cheaper than what we pay here and more comparable to the overall standard of product you will receive in Australia.

With that said I do get where you are coming from.

Last edited:
Great info in this thread! Thank you.

Also, it could be different when you are talking about legal weed, because I know people can mention the prices of alcohol and cigarettes in other forums, but normally you are not allowed to mention prices for cannabis in this forum.
Going slightly off topic here...price discussion in this forum has very little to do with legality and everything to do with content as it relates to cannabis discussion.

For example I could start a thread about how I just bought legal weed for x dollars and how it's too much and I'm pissed off and the system sucks. Then someone replies, "Hey I found a coupon at that store for 40% off"...now all of a sudden my thread is pointless because someone found a coupon. It has nothing to do with cannabis discussion at that point and there isn't any good content that will come out of a pure price discussion thread because it is NOT about cannabis, it becomes about money and how good a "Shopper" you are.

Weed effects are based on a myriad of factors. If you have not studied or actually smoked the herb it is hard to say how it will effect you. I think it is more bout searching in these medical zones. Especially new ones.
I would think OP would be able to find a sedating strain easily on the black market also.

^ Coke and heroin are generally manufactured in very poor areas of already poor Countries though, what a large scale grower pays in electricity, nutrients, grow medium etc. would be a fucking fortune in most regions of the World where hard drugs are produced.

I have noticed that consumer items are much cheaper in the US, we do earn good wages here but they really don't make up the entire difference. The thing is, at least in the circles I roll in (and everyone I fucking know smokes weed, most of them daily...) you simply do not have access to cannabis that is likely comparable in quality in any way to the cannabis that the OP bought for the price he stated. If you were to look at lesser quality black market weed in much of the US it probably would be considerably cheaper than what we pay here and more comparable to the overall standard of product you will receive in Australia.

With that said I do get where you are coming from.
I'm a girl. It's always funny, people always assume the I'm a guy but my username is jeng1128 the Jen as in Jennifer. Maybe I'm just super stoned on why I even care.lol. I never thought about it in the way of were paying for our weed to have to be better. On the bottle it says all this stuff like; microbiology PASS, heavy metals PASS pesticides PASS, and so on & So forth. I can get just as good as weed on the black market but I gotta by an oz & sometimes I don't want to buy a whole oz, so I'll go to the dispensary and buy an eighth. It's the same price.

And I can get it on the black market. I actually just bought an oz of Cherry Pie Og. Great Strain, love it!

^ Right on Jen. I know when MMJ just started out here in CO it was a similar situation as you and I was looking elsewhere. The same problem happened with full legal regulation and once again after healthy competition arrived, it brought everyone down to the same playing level. The article I posted in your other thread said something about healthy competition arriving for you as early as next month. Good luck!

Hybrids are common and a true sativa or indica is not easy to come by. I like em all

That guy at the herb dispensary is not a pharmacist, or medical professional. But since you have decriminalized medicinal herb in your state try different types of herb, hash, and edibles and find something you like.

w01fg4ng said:
Hybrids are common and a true sativa or indica is not easy to come by. I like em all
On another site I go to I wrote about how I like Sativa/Indica mixes like trainwreck, pure Indicas like Afghan/Afghan kush, or pure Sativas and someone told me how most herb these days is not either Sativa or Indica; but a hybrid.

I can't believe Colorado dispensaries were ever as bad as ours are. They only sell flower (or that's what they like to call it lol, aka weed) well until literally last Wed they got wax in. It's like $58(gram) CRAZY but they sold out of wax vaporizers (lol.) I have a pax which I love but that's only for weed. Honestly I've tried wax once, and shatter once and didn't think it was that great. Could someone enlighten me about how much better it is. Maybe because when I tried it I was already super stoned so that probably made a difference. Love edibles, I make my own, but it gets expensive and I don't like them ALL the time so it'd be able to buy one at the dispensary. But like I said it's still in its infancy(being literally2months old) things go slower. For example; for some reason the dispensary itself can't grow the weed. There are 4 places in Ct that can grow. The only one we have gotten any product from is called "theraplant" (why the strain names are called that) which means they can come up w whatever prices they want because they own the market right now. But I was talking to the pharmacist(in Ct they actually have to be REAL licensed pharmacists(isn't that weird) why the three other growers haven't given anything & she basically told me theraplant started growing their plants before it was legally allowed to do so. So she said the prices will go way down once the three others got their product out. She actually said "there's no way you can make your plants grow quicker." So I guess I have to give them the benefit of the doubt there.
And you're right, a most everything these days isn't a 100% sativa or 100% indica they're hybrids of some sort. I just look at prices for mmj in Oregon or Colorado it's so cheap. $177 for an oz of great weed. I can't even get those prices on the black market let alone at an actual dispensary! But I am lucky that I live in a state that allows mmj, and actually has dispensaries for it. I heard down south it's crazy strict.