• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question aboutCVS caremark and prescription tracking

ao111

Greenlighter
This post is kind of two part. My husband got a different kind of health insurance at the beginning of the year and the drug coverage is CVS caremark. I haven't used a CVS pharmacy in a long time but if I log onto my CVS account it displays current prescriptions filled by other pharmacies.

I'm due to have my gabapentin refilled on the 15th but I ran out a couple of days early. I called my Drs office and explained the situation. My Dr. wasn't in today but they agreed to call in a three day supply at the same dose in mg. and times daily. I had them call it into a pharmacy I have never used before, figuring they won't have my prescription coverage on file. When I went there to pick it up I told them I had a Good RX discount card and the pharmacist said I wouldn't need it because they ran it through my insurance. How in the hell did they get that info?! I got home, logged into my CVS pharmacy account and sure enough, that prescription was listed there! I'm also wondering why they refilled the three day supply at the same dose while my main refill is on hole by insurance until the 15.

Last year I didn't have any insurance coverage for a period of three months and I just so happened to have two different Gaba scripts at two different pharmacies. I was able to fill those every two weeks without one knowing of the other, so it can't be that the pharmacies are linked. I'm thinking that when a pharmacy enters my name and DOB this Caremark insurance is automatically coming up. I'm not trying to scam the system and abuse my meds but my dose is set at four times a day and some days it doesn't seem to help so I take five. My Dr. office made a note for my Dr. to look over my file on Monday and possibly increase my does.

I do not believe CVS, or any other pharmacy for that matter, displays scripts filled by anyone other than CVS, CVS Caremark mailorder, or any other of their subsidiaries. However, CVS certainly can access CVS Caremark for your insurance info. There is also a system in place that given relatively little info (name, d.o.b., sometimes SS #) that any pharmacy can tap into and search for both government sponsored and private healthcare. I imagine it was one of these ways they got your info.

Now, how it ran through your insurance. If it was only 3 days early, it probably was close enough for the claim to adjudicate. However, if you are certain it was the 15th that the claim would go through, there could be a couple of ways that it went through before the 15th. Very often when medications are very cheap, as three days of Gabapentin would be, the insurance company does not have to reimburse the pharmacy anything, and proccesses the claim. It is also possible the pharmacist used some type of override, stating this was an emergency supply, and got the claim to go through.

Hope this helped.