• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Question about xanax type - URGENT meet with psychiatrist in AM

foremud21

Greenlighter
Hello, I am a 21 year old male. I have been suffering from social anxiety and anxiety in general for the past 2 years. I recently decided to get help with it as it became worse, gradually, and now unbearable. Most of my anxiety symptoms are physical but many are mental as well, mainly over thinking situations and certain interactions leaving me thinking about the possible outcomes out a situation for many many hours. I have zero social life for the past 1 year, but justified not having one for paying so much time to my business that I own and operate.
So, for me there are two types of xanax and I have no idea which is which. Let me explain, one type of xanax makes me feel amazing, no anxiety, very confident, boost in energy, and boost in appetite (which I need)
the other type of xanax bring my anxiety down slightly, but leaves me with a very depressed and hopeless feeling... very weird and hard to explain feeling.
So myself, I've speculated that one is Instant release and the other extended release OR different generic makers.
My I told my psych and she said she didn't know which one was making me feel good and vice versa. On Thursday she put me on klonopin .5mg 2x a day and viibryd 10mg. With hopes of the kpin to lower the anxiety until the viibryd kicks in.
So since thursday, I feel the viibryd working slightly but the klonopin takes my physical anxiety from an 8 to a 5 but the mental anxiety from a 10 to an 8. Also get the same hopelessness feeling about 3 hours after taking
I hate to be on anything, and it's what deterred me for so long to seek help. My doctor is very good and supportive so I'm thankful for that. And she open to switching me to xanax, but I want to ask here which one could be the one that makes me feel normal and amazing, compared to the other making me feel depressed and hopeless. Both types of xanax I know for sure we're generics but no idea which was IR and which XR

So recap

Number 1 xanax completely rids anxiety, makes me feel normal and happy, actually boosts my energy, puts my confidence through the roof and totally rids all physical and mental effects of anxiety.

Number 2 xanax within 20 mins reduces my anxiety slightly, but noticably. About 2-3 hours after I feel very depressed, no appetite at all, and hopeless feeling, very tired, no energy.

Important note, the klonopin makes me feel more like xanax number 2 with the depression a few hours after.

i obviously need number 1 but idk if its IR or XR or if the generic plays a rol

I am so appreciative for any and all help, thank you in advance!

Welcome to Bluelight :)
There's no way to tell, but I guess Number 1 could be XR and Number 2 IR
Just try both of them.
Good luck

Sounds like number 1 is XR and 2 is IR. I suggest using the XR if you plan to use only Xanax while if you keep the kpin I would say the kpin would be maintainence while Xanax is used for panic attacks or other words breakthrough anxiety.

Just remember though using benzos longer than 2 months increases dementia risk later in life by 51% as well as a benzo dependancy can be lethal during withdrawals via seizures and heart failure. Seriously be careful managing anxiety with benzos.

I honestly suggest something like a 20:1 CBD:THC ratio extract or cannibis bud preferably as an edible vs smoking/vaping. Chill CBD oil is a hemp extract brand that has cannabinoid ratios as I suggested. Trust me CBD is much different from THC and can be quite clearing in thought vs THC mental fog. IMO it is a way better choice than benzos for anxiety.

Thanks for the help. One question, which is the more recreation form of Xanax taken xr or ir? And if your doc rights a script for Xanax .5mg (without indicating ir or xr) which would you get ?

I own assisted living facility's and connected with pathways and association with dementia. Let me tell you that is incoherently false, and to prove such a thing via clinical study would be impossible. Way too many factors as to what could cause dementia. But I am on it for the short term, and a very small dose .5mg just while I work up the dose with viibryd

Sounds like number 1 is XR and 2 is IR. I suggest using the XR if you plan to use only Xanax while if you keep the kpin I would say the kpin would be maintainence while Xanax is used for panic attacks or other words breakthrough anxiety.

Just remember though using benzos longer than 2 months increases dementia risk later in life by 51% as well as a benzo dependancy can be lethal during withdrawals via seizures and heart failure. Seriously be careful managing anxiety with benzos.

I honestly suggest something like a 20:1 CBD:THC ratio extract or cannibis bud preferably as an edible vs smoking/vaping. Chill CBD oil is a hemp extract brand that has cannabinoid ratios as I suggested. Trust me CBD is much different from THC and can be quite clearing in thought vs THC mental fog. IMO it is a way better choice than benzos for anxiety.
This
But just so you know, there's a new study claiming that benzos don't increase the risk of dementia, I just have a german source, but I'll try and find an english one if you'd like :)

Thanks for the help. One question, which is the more recreation form of Xanax taken xr or ir? And if your doc rights a script for Xanax .5mg (without indicating ir or xr) which would you get ?

IMO IR is more recreational than XR, because it acts faster and you get the whole 0.5 mg all at once, but I would get the XR because it lasts longer than IR.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1064748112607726

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397

Decide for yourself, but don't deny the serious risk of increasing the likelihood of dementia or Alzheimer's later in life.

As far as recreational use Xanax is Xanax.... Take enough of either and you'll be "high" although likely to blackout and forget everything you did after it kicked in. Honestly I recommend only using your benzos for anxiety as directed as benzo dependancy is no joke.

As far as the script it will likely be the IR medication unless the extended release is specified. Especially as 0.5 mg is the lowest or second lowest dose and doubt they produce XR formulations that small. I'm not experienced with benzos so can't say.

What confuses me is how are you getting two different Xanax pills and have no idea which is which... I'm assuming they aren't scripted as you would have no doubt what it is as it would be labled. Do you even know the dose of them? One may be 2 mg while the other is 0.5 if you don't and that would explain a lot. Pill ID are not aloud on this forum, but if you type in "pill ID shape/color/markings/scored (if there's a line to split the pill or else ignore the last one)" and you should be able to find someone on a pill ID board asking about your pill as well as a response with a link to a page that has a picture of the pill and complete description of its markings as well as medicine content. I highly suggest looking up the pills yourself so you can know what they are if they are real pharmacicutical medication or some custom pressed stuff made by some random person putting in whatever benzo they can get. A while back there was even a 2 mg white Xanax bar (the most common one) that some assholes pressed with fentanyl along with a benzo literally pressing death into a pill. Be careful buying pills off people as you really don't know if they came from the pharmacy or not unless you seen them picked up from the pharmacy and passed to you before whoever received it could replace the real pharma pills with street pressed pills.

http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i90

As far as I know there's an extended release tablet with 0.5mg

Tacodude is right, benzo dependence and withdrawal is hell on earth, use the Xanax for panic attacks only and just for a small period of time till you find something better, like CBT and don't abuse it.

benzo withdrawal is no joke. I would suggest only taking xanax .5mg IR when you need a fast acting benzo to stop panic attacks, or when you are in an intense social situation. Klonipin 1mg twice a day will stabalize you and lower your anxiety level better in the long run. Xanax just doesn't last very long, but it is hard hitting.

If you take xanax constantly it will lose the ability to help you fight panic attacks. Basically you will need to take an ever increasing amount in order to maintain the level of relief from anxiety that you are accustomed to. I was up to 10mg a day and I ended up tapering down because they had stopped working correctly, however I still needed them just to be functional.

Make the decision for yourself...just know that xanax is best taken PRN, or for 2-6 weeks (basically until a psych med is active in your brain).

Might I suggest zoloft. It really helps my anxiety.