• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Question about tripping

When your tripping, how much of what you experience is actually real?
Without getting too existential, does objective reality exist or is it mass consensual hallucination, or something else entirely? Who's to say, right?

Before we plunge into solipsism, I think the scenario where no one exists but me and everyone is a figment of my imagination is intensely unlikely given all the movies, music, history and artwork my brain would have to have imagined up. I mean, I'm a creative individual, but gotDAYYEM that's a lot of shit… no one is that creative, lol…

Consider animation and the phenomenon of moving pictures. If I show you 15 frames blank in each eye, and then show you a dot in the left eye for frame 16, and next a dot in the right eye for frame 17, you will see a line animate from left to right. If I make the dot on the left green and make the dot on the right red, you will see a line animate and change colors, green to red. The interesting thing is that the line will change colors in the middle, not at the end. There is a very slight delay before our brains composite reality for us, in other words. Realness can be elusive.

Occasionally this question comes up, I am amazed that I can formulate the mental words when it happens, but such concepts like the world going around the sun in an orbit are about as far from what I can comprehend at the time.

Usually if I ask my self, "what here is real?", I have next to zero short term memory, meaning I have no sense of how I got here or even what is here, and I have very little sense of who I am or what that even means.

fortunately, at such junctures, I do not punish myself by repeating the question, "what here is real?", with escalating emotional emphasis, but instead I habitually return to finding and following my breath, which is about at the limit of my conceptual capacity.

i wouldn't be surprised if hallucinations were a part of someone elses reality. like people are capable of tapping into other universes that are similar to ours, so we can experience other peoples experiences or art as our dreams or trips... i don't know that's the truth though. definitely could just be the mind is capable of creating anything and it's all in a person's head... i haven't read to much of the philosphy of nietsche, but i always kind of got into the skeptism thing, i can entertain any thought, but i also don't hold any belief in anything.

i've had what are probably hallucinations from my childhood. i'm pretty sure i was actually seeing what i was seeing through my childhood eyes... i've also saw things that definitely weren't part of my reality at all at anytime, like stuff from a different planet... maybe there is something where all time in every universe is capable of being recorded and then seen by any one capable of dreaming or tripping... i don't think anyone is ever going to know the truth about this. it's easy to say it's just the imagination, but who knows. i could be completely insane and making stuff up about my childhood. i don't really feel that way, but it's possible.

i realize i kind of repeated myself in these paragraphs. just trying to make sense of what i'm saying wording stuff differently.

i always get the feeling like there were magicians/artists from another planet that made a bunch of movies that people view as dreams. like they tripped so hard that they sent the video and art they made out into the universe so people can see it all through out time. they recorded the stuff with their eyes and ears and sent it into space through dark matter or electricity or something.

I remember taking a shower while tripping on acid one warm spring day. In that particular house there was a small window just above the shower head. The window was open and the sun was shining directly into the shower.

I was utterly mesmerized by the millions of tiny rainbows dancing around in the mist. It was incredibly beautiful! It occurred to me that such a phenomenon happens frequently but that I didn't always stop and take notice of it.

edit--- So in this case I was NOT hallucinating but my perception of reality was greatly intensified.

Last edited:
Exactly!!!!
Not noticing the rainbows and other aspects of reality is the everyday hallucination of doing what we do do.
you could say it is a projection of the self according to the self over top of what is happening.

not being present, opening up to here and now, is more of a hallucination than anything.

Occasionally this question comes up, I am amazed that I can formulate the mental words when it happens, but such concepts like the world going around the sun in an orbit are about as far from what I can comprehend at the time.

Usually if I ask my self, "what here is real?", I have next to zero short term memory, meaning I have no sense of how I got here or even what is here, and I have very little sense of who I am or what that even means.

fortunately, at such junctures, I do not punish myself by repeating the question, "what here is real?", with escalating emotional emphasis, but instead I habitually return to finding and following my breath, which is about at the limit of my conceptual capacity.

That works too. One can always just let one's biological machinery solve the problem at hand.