View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Question about tripping

polarthedog

Bluelighter
When your tripping, how much of what you experience is actually real?

Now of course I know we have no definitive answer to that, what I’m asking for is your opinions on what’s real and what’s not.

Lol, sorry for the typo, I meant is your opinions, not isn’t, damn autocorrect

Last edited:
Imo tripping doesn't really show us things that aren't real, it just gives you the ability to look at things in a different light. Although sometimes you can have some real mind fucks, if it's happening to you it sure feels real.

what I’m asking for isn’t your opinions on what’s real and what’s not.
We can see when we look out into the world that a person's belief systems is sort of structure of what that person believes is real. But there is an objective "real" that we can lock into. We know it is real that the Earth rotates around the sun. Another person could call that a falsehood but objectively we all agreed on what is real. If we remove drugs, we can see even in the political world some people struggle as to what is real or not. Some will say they are opinions but in between opinions are objective truths.

Subjectively we all differ a bit. But it circles objective truth.

So right there a person has to integrate everyday what is real, what they believe, and how it works in the objective world. So do not look for what is real outside of yourself. Have Faith that you are on the right path and will cross certain bridges when you get there. That is all you can do. Outlooks can and do change. So I say keep looking for truth, but not outside yourself. Sort of a paradox.

And anything confusing just let go of for the time being. Best to let go than to get hung up.

I just noticed Krink posted and said something similar. Krink ALREADY has faith in himself. No question. You can feel it and that is how a person rides these planes.

if you can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not, after the fact, then you probably don't have a stable enough mind to be tripping

it's like drug induced schizophrenia - i.e. tweekers
Yeah, it took me a little while to get my sea legs with tripping, although I immediately loved mushrooms the first time I took them when I was 16. I had a couple real uncomfortable trips early on, but now that I'm a little more grown it's a hell of a lot easier to digest and process.

Even the fact that the Earth is rotating around the sun isn't as much a hard objective truth than it is an expression of pre-relativistic cosmology. It's not therefore a complete falsehood, but it does illustrate that consensus does not necessarily imply objectivity. Instead objective truth is indeed more likely to be within.. or at least outside of the sphere of language.

It's scary to push mind to the point the basic cultural framework gets questioned. Because then you're on your own figuring out metaphysics.. the hows of which quite directly lead into epistemology. Ordering it all by logic isn't always sufficient, you might even have to get into aesthetics.. and whatever other topics philosophy has to offer.

It's therefore so much easier to treat confusion as weakness, rather than as the start of a time-consuming journey of inquiry. But it's a fear response, and won't help longterm.

Even the fact that the Earth is rotating around the sun isn't as much a hard objective truth than it is an expression of pre-relativistic cosmology. It's not therefore a complete falsehood, but it does illustrate that consensus does not necessarily imply objectivity. Instead objective truth is indeed more likely to be within.. or at least outside of the sphere of language.

It's scary to push mind to the point the basic cultural framework gets questioned. Because then you're on your own figuring out metaphysics.. the hows of which quite directly lead into epistemology. Ordering it all by logic isn't always sufficient, you might even have to get into aesthetics.. and whatever other topics philosophy has to offer.

It's therefore so much easier to treat confusion as weakness, rather than as the start of a time-consuming journey of inquiry. But it's a fear response, and won't help longterm.
okay neil degrasse tyson... or whatever happened there

op, hallucinations are more of the nature of an alteration of what you are currently looking at (the walls are waving, breathing). you wont see an octopus on your ceiling or some shit. only very high dosages tend to infringe upon what you cannot discern as real, like seeing "entities."

CT that is why I favor your thoughts. lol. I do ask of you, never let me get away with anything fishy. I do think pre relativistic cosmology still runs through human consciousness and has created belief systems. Humans at one point thought it was truth that the sun rotated around the Earth until a minor shift in consciousness. Objective truth being from within would lean towards subjectivity I would think. Now I have to think about that.

I would love to look out into the world from another persons viewpoint. I think I can do pretty good like that not being so hard lined on any belief myself. So not much to shatter you know? I would stay intact.
if you can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not, after the fact, then you probably don't have a stable enough mind to be tripping
I still think this is the valid answer to Question about tripping. A person should go into these experiences with confidence that they will have a good time and not get hung up. In other words there is no room for the question. A person already "knows".

"What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

Psychedelic hallucinations are just chemically induced aberrations of what your brain thinks should be real.

We never actually experience reality, only our brain's best predictive guess of what reality might be.

But this point gets rather convoluted and smart-assy very quickly, and is more an attempt at defining the nature of consciousness and not what is real.

okay neil degrasse tyson... or whatever happened there

:rofl:

it's all word salad blah blah blah to me

if somebody were actually talking to me like that, irl, i'd tell them to get the fuck away from me :)

it's about simplifying things - the more complex you view things, the more you set yourself up for failure

if somebody were actually talking to me like that, irl, i'd tell them to get the fuck away from me :)

it's about simplifying things - the more complex you view things, the more you set yourself up for failure
HTxXYN8.gif
Sh0mKhL.gif

I don't know how reality could ever be confirmed in an absolute way
In a relative way for me most of what I experience is real. Which is basically a seeing of and letting go of conditioned patterns and opening up aspects of the mind that aren't possible when conditioned patterns are running the show. This can continue will not tripping and life can transform.

Some of us have complex minds that can hold lots of details at once
Some of us have simple minds that can get to the essence of something all at once
Some of us have minds capable of both
There is no inherent value in any of these, they simply function differently.
Using a mind for something it doesn't have the capacity for can set one up for failure, although if you learn in the process i wouldn't call it failure.

I don't know how reality could ever be confirmed in an absolute way
In a relative way for me most of what I experience is real. Which is basically a seeing of and letting go of conditioned patterns and opening up aspects of the mind that aren't possible when conditioned patterns are running the show. This can continue will not tripping and life can transform.

Some of us have complex minds that can hold lots of details at once
Some of us have simple minds that can get to the essence of something all at once
Some of us have minds capable of both
There is no inherent value in any of these, they simply function differently.
Using a mind for something it doesn't have the capacity for can set one up for failure, although if you learn in the process i wouldn't call it failure.

and then theres the obviously insecure pseudo intellectual mind that sticks out like the sun at 12 pm to anyone with a good sense of social intelligence cus i see right through his intentional jargon to try to reinforce he is smart guy identity. guy didnt even make fucking sense. how about people just be normal rofl. guy webt through the whole universe just to answer some kid getting info about hallucinations. then theres people like you who are even more annoying with your opinions.

Sorry to make you feel insecure. If you're able to elaborate exactly what you do and do not understand, I can build from there towards common ground. I'm not trying to do grandstanding, I'm simply trying to give people a feeling of what's on offer, an abstract sense of the depth of insight I'm willing to publicly share.

All it takes is interest. And a suspense of petty prejudice.

Sorry to make you feel insecure. If you're able to elaborate exactly what you do and do not understand, I can build from there towards common ground. I'm not trying to do grandstanding, I'm simply trying to give people a feeling of what's on offer, an abstract sense of the depth of insight I'm willing to publicly share.

All it takes is interest. And a suspense of petty prejudice.

I was just having some fun, being a smart ass, giving you a hard time and flippin ya shit - I apologize if I offended you

and then theres the obviously insecure pseudo intellectual mind that sticks out like the sun at 12 pm to anyone with a good sense of social intelligence cus i see right through his intentional jargon to try to reinforce he is smart guy identity. guy didnt even make fucking sense. how about people just be normal rofl. guy webt through the whole universe just to answer some kid getting info about hallucinations. then theres people like you who are even more annoying with your opinions.

what he said makes sense to me, and I see it as an important part of comming to grips with this amazing situation of life we find ourselves in. I also agree we're a lot like apes, that we probably can never know whats going on, but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't explore ideas

I think sports are pretty dumb, just a bunch of people watching a few others chase a ball around, but if they enjoy it why not?