View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question about tripping alone

Soulifikar

Greenlighter
Greetings this is my first post on Bluelight. I was hoping to acquire some knowledge about tripping alone on shrooms for the first time. It is my first and only psychedelic experience. I have been a heavy cannabis user for 2 years and it is the only substance I have really gotten into. I have never drank alcohol or done any other drugs in the past. I plan on taking 2 grams of golden teacher (Psilocybe Cubensis). I have fear of my trip going south simply because of the fact I have low self esteem and I will be by myself so I was hoping to get tips from experienced trippers. Also a small side note is when I began smoking weed I was with a group of friends (3 other guys) that may not have been the best friends. Well to put a long story short they are all sociopathic dealers who would take advantage of me whenever I was in a vulnerable state of mind. So yes I was the one in the group who got all the shit and to top it off I took most of it personally. This was a year ago and I am no longer in contact with those excuse for friends. But since then whenever I get high or smoke I start involuntarily start thinking about the things that were said and done to me and I either get Depressed or Angry. I can't stop lingering on the past. So I was hoping is someone could guide me on wether going through with the shrooms would cause a bad trip or be a positive thing.

First, Welcome to Bluelight!
Second, I really advise having a trip sitter if possible. So if you can think of anybody it might be a good idea.
Third, if you can't have a trip sitter at least have some benzodiazepines at hand to abort the trip if things go south.
Fourth, 2 grams might be quite a solid dose for the first time. Expect it to be quite strong. I don't know if you have read Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy...But in any case...Don't panic!

For what you explain. It seems you are going into an exploratory journey, maybe a bit into the darkness. So you are going to have to deal with stuff that might have been a bit buried in you. Expect to get in a similar place that when you smoke but going much deep and feeling it much more intense. In the positive side, for me and for others, weed gives me much more anxiety and introspection is far more paranoid than psychedelics. Don't smoke when you trip first time, it can make things much more difficult.
In any case, you might get interesting insights about yourself and the world. Try to listen carefully and only that, if not try to take action on the things learned after when sober. Probably it would be an extremely nice experience, but if it feels uncomfortable or you get anxious just breath and try to relax. If you can't take it take a benzodiazepine and the trip will lose its intensity. Better to go through it if you can. There is a lot to be learned from difficult experiences...and I am not only talking about psychedelics here.

I personally wouldn't recommend mushrooms for the first time as they can be difficult to drive and quite unpredictable. But opinions on this would vary. In any case, they are a great psychedelic.

And last but not least, try to plan what you are going to do while tripping, don't leave anything to improvisation. In that state of mind, decisions are better not to be taken. A relaxing place, where you are not going to be disturbed, is desired. Darkness might potentiate visions and be less disorienting. Try to have something to drink or eat at hand. A notebook to write some insight is always a good idea. Avoid mundane activities like watching TV or surfing the internet and focus on yourself. Enjoy!

Appears to me that you are pretty critical of yourself and your surrondings, Soulifikar. That means you're gonna have a good time on your first mushroom trip, just as I had! ;)

I'd advise to take it together with a close friend the first time, preferably the one who has some experience. If not, going solo is a good choice too.

Carefully choose your set and setting - spend a couple of days before the trip doing something different form your daily life, go hiking in the nature is always great. On the day of the trip make sure you have no plans and nothing needs to be done, clean up your place thoroughly, take a shower, burn some sage, say a mantra or prayer, turn off your cell phone for the entire trip, prepare more rituals - the more attention you'll give to rituals, the easier will be the transition IME. But don't overdo it of course :)

If tripping in the nature, make sure you have all necessary tools with you and you know where you are at and where are you heading.

If tripping at home, make sure you have a nice playlist set up with various choices of music, prepare some viewing material (I find Hi-Res Earth BBC videos quite nice for it, check out Samsara too). Prepare your musical instruments or painting/drawing tools - you may rediscover the feeling of doing it! ;)

Meditation is an amazing tool coupled with certain psychedelics. Meditate thoroughly before and on the entrance, think about your intention for going in, allow yourself the experience, concentrate on breathing. Get a signing bowl and play it along the meditation. Play signing bowl during the trip too - awesome tool!

If, for any reasons, you go dark and impossible, get rid of all sources of information, close your eyes, concentrate on breathing and let go, just let go. Even my deepest darkest mushroom trips turned out to be awesome at the end, more adventurous for psyche I guess.

Happy tripping! :)

No need for a trip-sitter, although they can be fun! I personally love to trip by myself as tripping is a tool that can be used to harness and improve ones self. As long as you can handle your shit - you will be fine. The only other point i'll add is that you need to avoid parents and other authority figures at all costs - this will ruin your trip, although i'm sure you know that.

If you do end up taking my advice and trip alone, some fun things to calm you down can be listening to music, watching your favorite TV show or playing with your pet. Also go for a bike ride if you can, happy tripping :)