• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Question about pre loading with 5HTP

5htp supplements seem pretty bogus to me. I'd rather eat a banana.

MDMA reduces the level of the enzymes that convert tryptophan to serotonin so 5-HTP is one less step in the process.

5htp + MDMA or near MDMA use can totally cause seratonin syndrome. I remember back when I was trying to fight the beast of MDMA tolerance with 5htp I took it on the comedown as I was going to bed and developed mild symptoms. Another time I took it the day of and had the same thing happen. Don't waste your time with this stuff.

Rolling itself is a "mild" serotonin syndrome. 5-HTP doesn't cause serotonin syndrome. It doesn't produce enough serotonin to cause serotonin syndrome alone or in combination with MDMA.

Rolling itself is a "mild" serotonin syndrome.

This is abuse of the term "serotonin syndrome"
Folley was essentially correct on this matter...while 5htp could hypothetically induce SS in combination with a 5ht releaser, the possibility is extremely remote.

ebola

This is abuse of the term "serotonin syndrome"

While I agree with you, they changed the definition of serotonin syndrome some time ago to include pretty much all of the effects of rolling: http://toxicology.ucsd.edu/art 3 serotonin syndrome.pdf

Mild symptoms may only consist of increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils, myoclonus (intermittent tremor or twitching), as well as overresponsive reflexes.

I don't know about you but I have experienced all of the above pretty much consistently on MDMA. :\

Serotonin Syndrome is so BS. It's like incredibly rare and extreme that it annoys me how much this forum seems to come across it.

Totally agreed. But based on the fact that typing in serotonin syndrome in Google brings you to Wikipedia, it isn't surprising that people are associating the normal effects of rolling with serotonin syndrome. :\

Why on earth would you need to pre-load that far in advance?

People use this stuff all year round as a positive-mood-promoting supplement and it works.

More over.

I do drugs on a particular set of rules. My brain to fry. Makes me feel like you have to follow your own set of conclusions. Even if it may seem overkill.
After all, MDMA is one hell of a drug, harm reduction measures are essential to a safer roll.

you're going to be putting your body through hell, why not wear a seatbelt? :)

My bad experiences have served me well..

3+ months?

Yes, I think you need that much time to really notice the benefits of taking 5-HTP, it takes some patience. Doesn't have to be a capsule of this stuff every single day either. This coupled with moderate exercise, vitamins, good eating and a healthy lifestyle, should at least in theory, super charge your brain with precious serotonin, more than it would have without the 3 months+ regiment, not to mention the positive head space you get from it. Then, when the time comes to party, you will unleash the most beautiful supercharged harvest of positively enchanted braincells you've ever had. Clean as fuck. More bang for your buck.

I've done this my last roll and I will do it again. I believe I'm on to something. The comedown was so much easier to go through.

Dude your tolerance is back to near baseline after a month.

Oh yea, no doubt about that, but tolerance is not the issue here, for me at least

I'm only ever interested in rolling once or twice a year, so this method is convenient for me; it's about how good I can get my one or second roll of the year to be. I also only ever roll at raves, more of a reason to take extra care in not being that one guy that couldn't handle his shit.

it's crazy what some people do just to have one good roll.

Call me crazy :)

but Not just a good roll but a better and safer type of roll.

5htp + MDMA or near MDMA use can totally cause seratonin syndrome.

I believe this to be true, got to be careful not to take the both too close apart. I think I read something online along the lines of: Users should be advised not to take 5-HTP 24-48 hours before and after the use of MDMA, E or of any serotonin based drug. Something like that.

Another time I took it the day of and had the same thing happen.

And that's what happens /;

Don't waste your time with this stuff.

I don't think you used the 5-HTP right to begin with.

I invite you all who have harm reduction in mind to give this technique a shot.

Last edited:
Rolling is not serotonin syndrome, and tryptophan can not cause serotonin syndrome as it is rate limited by the tryptophan hydroxylase enzyme... 5HTP on the other hand can if you really took enough AFAIK.

Used it three time now. The first time I rolled extremely hard, then the next two times were nothing crazy. I'd say it's better to just use it for post loading.

People use this stuff all year round as a positive-mood-promoting supplement and it works.

More over.

I do drugs on a particular set of rules. My brain to fry. Makes me feel like you have to follow your own set of conclusions. Even if it may seem overkill.
After all, MDMA is one hell of a drug, harm reduction measures are essential to a safer roll.

you're going to be putting your body through hell, why not wear a seatbelt? :)

I'm only ever interested in rolling once or twice a year, so this method is convenient for me; it's about how good I can get my one or second roll of the year to be. I also only ever roll at raves, more of a reason to take extra care in not being that one guy that couldn't handle his shit.

I don't think you used the 5-HTP right to begin with.

I invite you all who have harm reduction in mind to give this technique a shot.

Fair enough, man, but I think if you're rolling twice a year you're probably not going to do any longterm damage nor need to take any safety precautions to wean off a bad comedown. I'm surprised you get a comedown at all rolling that scarcely unless your pills/molly is cut. Preloading with antioxidants it the only thing I would suggest to someone who rolls that infrequently to avoid neurotoxicity.

I definitely used 5HTP, I don't know what you mean by that. I trialled it for a few months and ultimately whilst it did something it made me uncomfortable and simply wasn't worth it. I got past the point of trying to improve on the MDMA experience and trying all the roll tricks in the book, to just enjoying the molly and not spending so much time over-thinking the experience. If I rolled more than once a month than so be it - you've got to be reckless sometimes. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not If I didn't roll for a few months than that's life. If I missed my antioxidants pre-load then whatever, I'm sure I'll be okay. I stopped trying to control the experience so much and just let life be what it would be. I don't think pre-loading 5HTP 3 months before one roll is really harm-reduction or making any difference on the MDMA experience compared to someone who doesn't do that, but if you feel like it improves your quality of life then that's cool.

Everyone is different. Everyone should come up with their own consensus on how mdma/e affects them as an individual. Last two times i rolled i've gotten nose bleeds 2-3 days after, i should make a thread about this. Sucks that ive only been able to get my hands on pressed pills the last few times, even with the marquis reagent it's still kinda like a box chocolates, you never know what you gonna get. I also have a paranoid disposition and cant help myself but to take necessary measures so that no one at home takes notice that I did drugs the weekend before. It's so hard to come across good MDMA over here in the west coast :( But i must say, the best MDMA I've ever had I experienced no comedown, felt fucking great the next morning :)

I considered what you said jess, and I think you're right, I'll probably be fine without it.

My 5-htp method is overkill. But I just HAVE to insure a good time no matter what.

I'll be begininning my regiment in a couple of days. Got to be prepared for EDC LV 2014. Woo!