View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question about Phalaris Aquatica/Tuberosa and MAOIs

DL-ark

Bluelighter
So I am looking into gathering about 100g of phalaris aquatica, juicing it, and sharing it among 2 other friends of mine but I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I would like to know if a MAOI is required for oral use of this plant. Phalaris Aquatica contains about 22mg of 5-MeO-DMT per 100g of plant, and some literature and information suggests that it itself works as a MAOI. If this was true, in theory I would only need the phalaris grass juice to get effects, correct? In addition, is 100g of phalaris enough for 3 people? or should I gather more...

IIRC 5-MeO-DMT with MAOI's is not really safe, I'm afraid... people have died that way if I am not mistaken.

Relying on the phalaris grass to provide the MAO inhibition seems a poor choice because its ability to activate and potentiate the 5-MeO-DMT is unpredictable since levels of both vary, and when you do succeed you end up trying something unsafe like I just mentioned...

An interesting (read: unusual) venture, if you are out to experiment, but I think this one needs to be reconsidered.

AFAIK phalaris is not a good choice , esp with a MAOI , because of the possible presence of gramine ...

perhaps somebody more learned than I can post some relevant info ...

I think you should carefully research this before experimenting , esp with other people ... I have not heard of many good phalaris reports , and strongly advise extreme caution with phalaris spp....

I'm only willing to test as far as just trying phalaris grass juice alone. I personally think any recreational use of MAOIs, even RIMAs is a really foul idea. Serotonin syndrome does not sound fun... I might try this out sometime next week, I will be sure to let you guys know how it went.

Last edited:
AFAIK phalaris is not a good choice , esp with a MAOI , because of the possible presence of gramine ...

perhaps somebody more learned than I can post some relevant info ...

I think you should carefully research this before experimenting , esp with other people ... I have not heard of many good phalaris reports , and strongly advise extreme caution with phalaris spp....
I'm no more learned than you, but from all I've read on Phalaris...I did some research when Sonoran song went down...is that the levels gramine, if present, tend to go up and down relative to the other alkaloids.
I'd say to do an extraction, however, I know of no way to separate the gramine from the other stuff, as it too is an indole alkaloid. I'm sure SOMEONE could separate it....but can the OP?

My advice is this: get some MHRB and drink it ayahuasca style...I know, it's "only" n,n, and not 5-meo, but at least you're still here tomorrow to write a trip report.

Getting MH is kind of out of the question in the situation I am in unfortunately. I know MH is much better than phalaris, and seems to be suggested to anyone asking about phalaris, but I kind of want the gathering process to be part of the experience.

The only way I have read to get rid of gramine from the DMT alkaloids is chromatography...

Any more information or should I just forget about phalaris and see if I can find some psilocybe?

Do not take it orally.. He is right about the other chemicals and they're dangers, i coulden't even tell you what they would do combined with a potentiating MAOI. I remember reading some horror stories, and sleepy grass is 100% hit or miss, i assume you are collecting wild samples and unless through previous experimentation (chroma or just self guini pig) its absolutely impossible to know what shit storm you might be getting into. Something to greatly reduce risk *REDUCE RISK* is freebaseing the extraction. A quick google search will net you a few acid-base extraction methods using simple chemicals found anywhere..

Like i said though, i had access to wild grass and after much reading, it seemed not worth the effort and materials because it was a dice roll and much greater consiquences where also thrown in there rather then just a tummy ache and ruined afternoon.

Save up some cash, order some prime materials, I belive mimosa is the way, mimosa hostilis? (sp?)
look up a simple extract using that, hell from what i have read, almost any fool that can follow directions can grow himself some nice DMT CRYSTALS.
and without the risk of those nasty chems that have been reported in the grass.

Keep in mind you can make poison from edible things in your grocery store, your walking into uncharted territory here with barely a merit badge in chemistry..