• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Question about OD

tsquared44

Greenlighter
Ive always been pretty neurotic with dosing and doing the right amount to not OD. This question has been on my mind and would love for someone to clear it up. The drug is oxycodone. Say somebody could overdose at 90mg of oxycodone. If they ate 3 roxis that would constitute an OD. What happens if they eat one, then 3 hours later they lose the buzz, take another and a few hours after the second they take another. Would this constitute an OD since its the same dose over a 10-12 hour day?. I think i get alittle nervous with half lifes and how long the drug is actually in your system because technically shouldnt all at once compared to over a 9 hour period be the same Overdose cause the drug is still in you yet you lost the effects. This really confuses me but at the same time by my lack of knowledge does keep me in moderation.

Think of it in simpler terms of alcohol.

1 drink is excreted from the body at a rate of 1 drink (shot/beer/glass of wine) an hour.

If you drink 6 drinks and have 3 more
Drinks 3 hours later, the average person would be 6 drinks deep still even 3 hours later.

Drugs have much longer half life’s and effects than alcohol.

Say cocaines timeline of effects are about an hour. People snort lines fairly frequently with cocaine with a small risk of overdose.

Things like meth have very long half lifes. One hit / shot / sniff of meth could last 6-24 hours and if they did too much too soon would overdose.

For Oxycodone the effects can last in my experience 6-12 hours. I would avoid constant redosing.

No exact amount can constitute an overdose. I could go blow down 300 mg of oxy right now and not overdose because I’m a vicious junkie.

But my sister could snort 30 mg of Oxycodone and overdose.

It all depends on the individual, genetics, previous drug usage, etc.

If you redose Oxycodone too often or even take too much at once, respiratory depression will occur to a point you will stop breathing and die most likely. That is an overdose.

Hours in between doses will slightly decrease likelihood of overdose but drugs do build as does ones tolerance.

Always play it safe. Especially with opiates.

Its good to be neurotic about overdosing.

When it comes to opioids it can be tricky to say what an OD is due to tolerance. If someone has been on strong opioids for a while it will take more for them to OD than someone who’s just trying them for the first time.

Oxycodone has a half life of 3 hours which loosely means half of the dose will be eliminated by that time. Of course that is loosely speaking. Everyone metabolises drugs differently.

Thanks for the replies. I was on oxy for around a year and started at 15mg and ended up at around 100mg, nasally. Went to rehab for a month and was given bupe for 2 months (6mg a day). I relapsed just a week ago and for some reason, I not only dont feel euphoria anymore probably from stopping the subs and its long half life and I have no guage on where my tolerance is and its scary. Everytime i rail a line Idk if its my last cause of where my tolerance is at and my receptors from the bupe use. Hate feeling anxious about dying when I love the relaxtion it always brought me. Anyways, thanks for the replies. I guess once a drug loses the high for user and an hour goes by, its just as dangerous as taking it all at once due to its half life. Anyone know if doing it through the nose changes the chemistry of it, half life wise. Cheers

As stated, overdose is relative. Strictly speaking it is using more or more often than prescribed. Not sure if this can be considered an opinion but just trying to set a base here.

If OD equates death... then this is indeed tricky.
Example:
My friend (joe) and I used to bang ~100mg roxi a day each. And occasionally ate a bit of methadone and bars just to make sure we were good for a minute.
Joe had to stop for whatever reason. A coupla months after joe got "clean", he ate a couple 20mg roxys and didn't wake up.
True story. This was before the fent fad but I guess it coulda been involved but doubt it... it was south fla and there was too much real shit for someone to get bunk. I am sure it happened but back then it wasnt heard of.

Anyway... the story has a reference to (among many aspect) tolerance and how fickle OD (deadly) can be... just not known how fine a line until it is crossed and one either makes it back or one does not.
Please be safe with this and all experimentation
<3

I hear you ptah-tek and thats a sad story. Do you think if Joe would of ate 20, waited a few hours and ate another twenty things wpuld have been different if that initial twenty lost the high effect. If you take 20mg morning, midday and night, by the nighttime has that morning dose worn off so there is no stacking effect. Is there anyway to personally gauge your vitals at home either with some blood pressure instrument or anything of the sort to keep tabs on vitals?. Sorry about your friend. You think he got some bad stuff or you think 40mg was enough to down him. I know of people that have died from one roxi but it was laced with fent. Its crazy to think 40mg clean would down somebody but I guess since it was in one mouthful that caused it. Thoughts? Cheers

thats a sad story
happens more than i would like
thanks for the sentiments
Do you think if Joe would of ate 20, waited a few hours and ate another twenty things wpuld have been different
i would like to think that it may have had a different outcome if....
sadly we will never know; one of those case where one does not come back
so many

and i think it was real as the pill mills were in their hey-day and everything was everywhere - mfs waitin at the pain clinics for other mfs to come out and hand over the whoe script... my biggest grab was the xannie bars less than a buck... valiums, roxy grrrrrrr. lol

I do know those days are past (until....).
Peace

ODs were a real threat then... couldnt image what it would be like today