• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about methadone and xanax

Lisa808

Greenlighter
Hi,

I am opiate naive (in all senses). I did something really dumb and took 4 5mg over the course of about 7 hours as it didn't seem to be doing much to me. I did sleep in pretty late the next day. My lame excuse if that I didn't have the internet available and didn't realize this was probably too much to take.

After reading up a little I tried just taking 2 of the 5mg over the course of 4 hours and felt pretty good. It made me a little reved up feeling so I took one .5mg of xanax and felt much better. A few hours later I took another .5 of xanax and the high was very very nice. I felt very mellow but was able to carry on several chats on the internet and a long phone conversation and really felt like it was just a nice experience. I stayed up pretty late at night just because of the slight worry of messing with a drug that I am not familiar with.

(I am used to xanax and have a fairly high tolerance, but no withdrawal symptoms when I stop taking it.)

I would like to do it again, in the same manner. I have NO wish to die or have any bad effects, but I found out how fun it was before I found out that it could be very dangerous or lethal. The subsequent posts I found on the net warned severely that these two drugs should never ever be mixed under any circumstances.

I would just like some realistic information. Is 10 mg methadone and 1 mg xanax something that could hurt me.

Feel free to tell me I'm being an idiot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lisa

10mg methadone and 1mg xanax is safe.. even for someone with no tolerance... just remember that tolerance builds up quickly... BUT, methadone takes a long time to peak, so don't redose too early if you're not as high as you want to be... wait at least 2 hours and only redose 0.5mg xanax OR 5mg of methadone...

Yay thank you! I appreciate an honest answer, almost impossible to find out there in the scare hype.

You should be fine. I just wouldn't mix methadone with benzos on a regular basis (esp without a tolerance). As you said, methadone+benzos is/can be extremely dangerous/deadly. Stick with one or the other as a general rule. People who mix them SHOULD have a tolerance (to both). For example, when I mix the two ( I have a benzo script and opiate addiction) I take about 40mg methadone to cover the w/d and a mg of xanax or 2 of clonazepam. Still, I'm hesitant and prefer to NOT mix anything with methadone.
Be careful.

Ha, ok now I'm scared about trying it again because of woamotive's advice. (Which I appreciate!)

Is it possible to OD on an amount that you've already tried a few times? The methadone only seems fun if I add the 1 mg of xanax (.5 at a time). But it's hardly worth it if it's potentially deadly!

My other question, which is moot if I really shouldn't mess with it at all, is how long does it take to get addicted to methadone? I don't have very many pills at all, less than 20 and no way to get any more. They were prescribed to my husband when he was dying of cancer so when they're gone they're gone. I have no desire to deal with addiction or to join him in death. They just seem really hard to toss in the trash, which says a lot about me I guess.

Thanks for the help, this site is great.
Lisa

Well, I mean you should wait for more advice. If you've done any research on methadone here on bluelight you'll see that mixing with benzos is not smart. Is it done (and often) ? Yes, however those that do typically have either high opiate and or high benzo tolerances. It's those who don't that find themselves in 'grave situations'. Haha, the pun is so dramatic.

How long does it take to get addicted to methadone? It's an opiate - a FULL mu agonist. If you were to take it every single day for a couple weeks you will be feeling some w/d no doubt if you stop abruptly. I wouldn't use them daily if I were you, Lisa. Methadone w/d is particularly 'painful'. It's something you don't want to experience. Many people say, and check out the megathread, that methadone is one of the hardest opiates to kick.

Gottcha.

I realize that at some doses it is not a safe mix at ALL. I was just wondering if I've already tried 10mg methadone and 1mg xanax and felt fine there wouldn't be a chance of that being an overdose at another time right? As long as nothing else was added to the mix? (I do have a fairly high benzo tolerance, I've been taking various amounts for twenty some years.)

I do know methadone withdrawal is the horrible and that the addiction is very hard to kick. I would not do it every day.

I'll keep up the reading on here, there is so much info I get lost!

I appreciate you taking the time to post, I will be safe.

Thanks,
Lisa

For harm reduction sake, I'd simply recommend that you take no more than 1mg of Alprazolam with whatever the dose you plan on taking of the Methadone. So once again, if your going to take 10-20mg of Methadone again, don't take anymore than 1mg of Alprazolam.

I can do that! In fact I don't want to do more than that, that is a perfect buzz to me. Thanks!

Lisa

ok, i guess this is the best place to ask my question so that i dont upset anyone so here I go...I have been doing the whole MMT thing cause my guy is apparently in hiding cause one of his drivers got busted and since i dont know where to get heroin anymore i had no choice but to start the methadone thing. Well anyway my question is I'm on 107mg's of methadone and have been for a few months now, after hearing that mixing methadone with benzos is "similar to heroin" I'd like to experiment. I haven't taken xanax in about 3 years since i started on heroin and even then i was only taking .5mg for my anxiety so..the QUESTION is what would be a decent amount to start out on in regards to the xanax...I dont really want to increase by .5mg at a time and end up redosing a dozen times but if that's what it takes to keep be safe I guess it's worth it...thanks everyone!

ok, i guess this is the best place to ask my question so that i dont upset anyone so here I go...I have been doing the whole MMT thing cause my guy is apparently in hiding cause one of his drivers got busted and since i dont know where to get heroin anymore i had no choice but to start the methadone thing. Well anyway my question is I'm on 107mg's of methadone and have been for a few months now, after hearing that mixing methadone with benzos is "similar to heroin" I'd like to experiment. I haven't taken xanax in about 3 years since i started on heroin and even then i was only taking .5mg for my anxiety so..the QUESTION is what would be a decent amount to start out on in regards to the xanax...I dont really want to increase by .5mg at a time and end up redosing a dozen times but if that's what it takes to keep be safe I guess it's worth it...thanks everyone!

I was on benzodiazepines while on a similar MMT dose but I had been taking the benzos for 10 years daily so won't give you info regarding my dosage. I'd recommend that you take 0.5mg of Xanax your first try and if it doesn't do anything than DON'T RE-DOSE. Just a failed attempt at a high. The next day give 1mg a go and see what happens. Again don't re-dose. If neither doses gives you the desired effect than....since this is a harm reduction site, give up.

yeah probably the safest way to go about it, does the interaction between the xanax and methadone feel a lot like heroin? I've heard of a lot of people doing it and od'ing so i'm assuming it must be pretty good but that documentary "methadonia" everyone on there says it's "like a bag of dope" I just miss the black tar and to quit because my dealers driver got busted and he didn't call me back with a new number i've had to quit on someone elses terms and it just sucks so..hopefully this will be something similar that will hold me over, but I must say without the methadone I would have already hit the streets and found a new source it's just at this point I can't see myself doing that.

I have a question please. I am a heroine/opiate addict for about 8 years. I was put on 35mg of methadone 2 days ago. It actually gives me a pretty decent buzz. My question is would taking a 2mg xanax be all that dangerous since i got my methadone dose 13 hours ago?