• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about half life of a drug

Renald

Bluelighter
Question not about an exact drug, but merely about the pharmacological concept. Half life (T1/2) of a drug is the time needed for half the drug in the organism to be eliminated or the time needed for its blood concentration to decrease twice?

Why you just google the substance name and put half life in with your search?

Once you know the half life, then look up how half life works. I am not going to bother explaining something you can UTFSE for.

Half life: "the time required for any specified property (e.g., the concentration of a substance in the body) to decrease by half."

If the half life is 2 hours then in 2 hours 50% is excreted, in 4 hours 50% of the remaining 50% is excreted leaving 25%, in 8 hours 50% of the remaining 25% is excreted leaving 12.5% and so on...

half life is derived from blood concentration, usually

But blood concentration drop by 50% is not the same as the same drop in concentration (amount) in the body, as the organism is not one-compartment model. If you have a drug with a high Vd, halving the concentration in blood will not mean half the drug is eliminated from a body. This it the moment I dont understand.

But blood concentration drop by 50% is not the same as the same drop in concentration (amount) in the body, as the organism is not one-compartment model. If you have a drug with a high Vd, halving the concentration in blood will not mean half the drug is eliminated from a body. This it the moment I dont understand.

You have found out because HL can be not so important.