• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids question about dried poppy pod taste and the use of straws of it.

Soul11

Bluelighter
hey guys, just aquired some dried papaver somniferum pods

As i remember making PST, i remember the taste was horribily bitter to the point where i almost threw up on the halfway chugging the brew.

As for the dried pods, i aquired 15 or so pods, just crushed one pod to be on safeside. crushed em up, and added water and drank the whole thing.

My question is that isn't bitterness is indicator of having much alkaloid? i didnt taste the bitterness at all and all i tasted is somewhat like hay material and im not sure if i used more pods maybe the taste is more bitter?

Or those poppy pod tea has nothing to do with bitterness? im just frustrated maybe i bought non alkaloid pods :(

Plus, does the straws of pods have any use?

Last edited:
From my years of poppy pod used, 1995-2010, I found you can have some mild earthy tea be potent and bitter tea be weak. Most of the time bitter means better but not always. I remember confirming with a batch that had a very mild taste but was very potent. I mean it all is a little bitter, none of it is like water so there are different degrees of bitterness, but found that yes most of the time bitter is better, but not always and not a way to tell potency. Testing a small amount is.

When it comes to some of this natural stuff I have found that color, taste, odor don't completely factor in potency. I have had very potent cannabis that had only a
ver mild odor burnt or unburnt. I have had cannabis where the bag stunk up the room but was not as strong as you would think. I don't think THC has an odor though. But morphine is bitter, but so are other things in poppies so it can be deceiving.

Only testing a small amount is the way to tell potency. Some of the strongest pods I had were these dime sized pods I got from a local farm. (family was in the flower business and could order many boxes) At first glance most people would pass them up. Yet a table spoon of powder equalled a half cup of some other larger pods in terms of potency. And that time these little pods were very bitter. If I had went ahead and assumed they were weak I would have been screwed. Another time I had some tea that was mild, thought about making more to add to what I had and 20 minutes later as I am making more it hits like a truck and didn't need it. So strong that as much of a veteran as I was I vomited a few times while sweating and nodding.

From my years of poppy pod used, 1995-2010, I found you can have some mild earthy tea be potent and bitter tea be weak. Most of the time bitter means better but not always. I remember confirming with a batch that had a very mild taste but was very potent. I mean it all is a little bitter, none of it is like water so there are different degrees of bitterness, but found that yes most of the time bitter is better, but not always and not a way to tell potency. Testing a small amount is.

When it comes to some of this natural stuff I have found that color, taste, odor don't completely factor in potency. I have had very potent cannabis that had only a
ver mild odor burnt or unburnt. I have had cannabis where the bag stunk up the room but was not as strong as you would think. I don't think THC has an odor though. But morphine is bitter, but so are other things in poppies so it can be deceiving.

Only testing a small amount is the way to tell potency. Some of the strongest pods I had were these dime sized pods I got from a local farm. (family was in the flower business and could order many boxes) At first glance most people would pass them up. Yet a table spoon of powder equalled a half cup of some other larger pods in terms of potency. And that time these little pods were very bitter. If I had went ahead and assumed they were weak I would have been screwed. Another time I had some tea that was mild, thought about making more to add to what I had and 20 minutes later as I am making more it hits like a truck and didn't need it. So strong that as much of a veteran as I was I vomited a few times while sweating and nodding.
I agree with you on that, the taste isn't always representative of potency. I too have had pods that were only mildly bitter when made into tea, but were highly potent, and visa versa. In saying that, 90% of the time more bitterness equals more alkaloids. Same goes for the colour, sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's very light, in my experience it makes no difference. Although, my method of consumption is different to the usual dried pod method. I'm in the UK and wild poppies grow EVERYWHERE, so would almost always work with fresh pods rather than dried. I'd blend the pods with hot water, let it sit for 20 mins with regular stirring, and then strain through a t shirt, followed by a finer coffee type filter. The resulting tea is cloudy/opaque, can range from dark brown/almost black, to light green, to milky beige.
I've not had much success with dried pods, the only time I've encountered them are when wild plants mature and dry out. I assume during this stage they have possibly been dried out for several weeks, been rained on etc... As the plant is dead it has no way of recovering the alkaloids lost due to poor weather (it's the UK after all, and it wouldn't be summer without regular rainfall) resulting in a lower final potency when compared to fresh pods.
And then there's pods size. As you've stated it makes no difference to potency by weight. Tiny pods can be just as potent by weight as giant ones. Personally, I would rarely see pods bigger than a golf ball, but around an inch in diameter is average over here for wild plants. 10-20 pods was a standard dose for me, but would always start with 4-5 x 1 inch pods and add more once I knew the potency. However, I've heard some people say that 1-2 pods is a decent dose for them, so starts small and be safe. Poppy pods can be extremely potent, and have caused countless deaths due to overdose.

Jesus. It is not complicated.

It is opium. If you have good pods, the color of the liquid will be golden amber and it will be slightly thick and oily in texture. And it damn well will be bitter. Morphine is bitter.

Also could depend on your preparation method. If you crush a pod, add the crushed material to room temp water and then quickly drink it then I would not expect it to have a strong taste (mostly just a mild straw/woody taste) whereas if you boil it or atleast allow it to steep for awhile in hot water then it would taste very much more nasty/bitter (like satans asshole).

But either method should produce effects assuming
A) the pods are decent quality
B) you took enough compared to your tolerance

When I had a pod habit, I stopped making tea because it was just too nasty. I got in the habit of quickly chewing the pods and then swallowing with a drink.

Pod tea is very bitter. I did it for years.

The straws are useless.
i read some of OP's thread that straw has quite a high content of alkaloid, i might have misread but i believe it has to do with "Compote"(Polish Heorin) or something, correct me if im wrong, i was going to grind all the straw in saperate batch.

[/Q

Thank you for your answers guys, yeah maybe i didn't let it sit on the water for long enough.

So this is my experience report, i crushed 3 pods and it definitely did the trick. . When i cracked the pods open white seeds poured down.

The dried pods had spec of dark spots and i dont know if it is mold but i also remember this OP said when fresh pods starts to have much latex it makes the pod darks, so i decided to think positive sign rather then

think it is mold. unfortunately i didnt have grinder so i crushed up as fine as i could, put it in the bottle shaked it and drank the whole thing. it was quite hard to swallow those chunks and taste was horrible. i can not say it

wasn't bitter at all but it was definitively more on earthy/hay side. after 2 hours effect started to peak. i assume it was due to digestion of those chunks doing its work maybe.

personally i think it is much better than a seed tea IMO.

It was bit speedy i would say, and rather than euphoria, i felt more of body high high and decent nod.

when i shaked the bottle, the color of water looked amber and its been feeling good for hours and now too as i am writing. as JackARose mentioned, i learned that bitter taste doesnt always indicate the potency.

i didnt have a coffe grinder so i basically crushed it as best as i could and it was hard to swallow all the materials of 3 pods, although i ordered coffee grinder and also ordered pods from different source as i will see how it

will go with fine-powder form and maybe seed color of this one will be different too.

Last edited:
... of water looked amber and its been feeling good for hours and now too as i am writing. as JackARose mentioned, i learned that bitter taste doesnt always indicate the potency.s, yeah maybe i didn't let it sit on the water for long enough.

i didnt have a coffe grinder so i basically crushed it as best as i could and it was hard to swallow all the materials of 3 pods, although i ordered coffee grinder and also ordered pods from different source as i will see how it

will go with fine-powder form and maybe seed color of this one will be different too.

Hey there. I think anyone really interested in drugs ought to get some kind of scale to measure down at least to 10ths of a gram because it can be pretty dangerous to just eyeball doses, where 3 pods minus the seeds could be less than 3 grams or it could be 10 grams. And if you can't have a dedicated coffee grinder, like mine cost $4 at a thrift store, there's the blenders with the clear plastic container to make smoothies ... those can work fine for dried pods as long as you don't burn them out from overheating. But white seeds? no, that doesn't sound right maybe the pods were immature because viable poppy seeds are usually from a dark blue to almost black.

Bitterness can be a sign of how much morphine there is and i know morphine is more bitter than codeine, but what about apomorphine or the other alkaloids in there? The speedy feeling you noticed is the reason so many people come to love poppy pod tea. Some of the alkaloids are stimulating.

Jim Hogshire insists in Opium for the Masses that 70 C is the highest temperature a poppy tea should ever reach because of potential decomposition but not everyone agrees with him on that. Maybe some keep it 60 C and others go to 80 C.

But i'd say the biggest improvement besides a gram scale would be a coffee grinder or blender to make a powder. Eating chunks of poppy pods can have them get stuck along your lower intestines so it could be bad for your health because poppy tea and all real opiates cause constipation. The colon can get literally bent out of shape with little pockets of stuff that gets stuck and well, it's not good.

I take my poppy powder mixed in apple sauce with either flax oil or cod liver oil for going down easy and some kind of sweetener for the bitterness, and the pods i grind with the seeds and all, but i throw away the very hard bony base because even a coffee grinder won't break that down so stomach won't either. The ground seeds add to the pleasurable taste and i can add some frozen mango or frozen cherries squeezed into a paste with a mashed potato masher the kitchen tool with the little holes. i take about 3 grams of poppy and fruit sauce at a time up to three times a day for pain. Too big a dose and i just pass out asleep.

Making it into a sweet fruit paste means there's no losses from decomposition or the dregs left behind from making tea and filtering it. You get 100% and it can taste pretty good. Filtering tea leaves behind some unknown amount of alkaloids in the solid matter and on any filter material.

But you need to make sure it;s clean and fresh and there's no mold on it. A dark spot from latex is very different from a dark spot from mold growing on the pod. If you eat the poppy powder fresh, make sure it's clean.

Last edited:
Hey there. I think anyone really interested in drugs ought to get some kind of scale to measure down at least to 10ths of a gram because it can be pretty dangerous to just eyeball doses, where 3 pods minus the seeds could be less than 3 grams or it could be 10 grams. And if you can't have a dedicated coffee grinder, like mine cost $4 at a thrift store, there's the blenders with the clear plastic container to make smoothies ... those can work fine for dried pods as long as you don't burn them out from overheating. But white seeds? no, that doesn't sound right maybe the pods were immature because viable poppy seeds are usually from a dark blue to almost black.

Bitterness can be a sign of how much morphine there is and i know morphine is more bitter than codeine, but what about apomorphine or the other alkaloids in there? The speedy feeling you noticed is the reason so many people come to love poppy pod tea. Some of the alkaloids are stimulating.

Jim Hogshire insists in Opium for the Masses that 70 C is the highest temperature a poppy tea should ever reach because of potential decomposition but not everyone agrees with him on that. Maybe some keep it 60 C and others go to 80 C.

But i'd say the biggest improvement besides a gram scale would be a coffee grinder or blender to make a powder. Eating chunks of poppy pods can have them get stuck along your lower intestines so it could be bad for your health because poppy tea and all real opiates cause constipation. The colon can get literally bent out of shape with little pockets of stuff that gets stuck and well, it's not good.

I take my poppy powder mixed in apple sauce with either flax oil or cod liver oil for going down easy and some kind of sweetener for the bitterness, and the pods i grind with the seeds and all, but i throw away the very hard bony base because even a coffee grinder won't break that down so stomach won't either. The ground seeds add to the pleasurable taste and i can add some frozen mango or frozen cherries squeezed into a paste with a mashed potato masher the kitchen tool with the little holes. i take about 3 grams of poppy and fruit sauce at a time up to three times a day for pain. Too big a dose and i just pass out asleep.

Making it into a sweet fruit paste means there's no losses from decomposition or the dregs left behind from making tea and filtering it. You get 100% and it can taste pretty good. Filtering tea leaves behind some unknown amount of alkaloids in the solid matter and on any filter material.

But you need to make sure it;s clean and fresh and there's no mold on it. A dark spot from latex is very different from a dark spot from mold growing on the pod. If you eat the poppy powder fresh, make sure it's clean.
Hello, quick question, so I can mix in like you said 3g into apple sauce and that'll be fine?

Gonna try anyway, got my 9 year old staying tonight and no way I can sneakily just start brewing tea 😅.

Had 45g already and used 4 grapefruit to cook with, plus bit of water and lemon.

Dunno why but not feeling much in last few days. Had a disaster with hot water tap earlier, it came off broken and sprayed me with very hot water for good few minutes.

Need something and Tea is out for tonight!!!! Dunno whether to put another grapefruit in tho.

So use say 10x less than pod tea with it cooked powdered?

Cheers mate

I recently got some pods which were not bitter at all, just tasted earthy. I barely got any effect from them.

Hello, quick question, so I can mix in like you said 3g into apple sauce and that'll be fine?

Gonna try anyway, got my 9 year old staying tonight and no way I can sneakily just start brewing tea 😅.

Had 45g already and used 4 grapefruit to cook with, plus bit of water and lemon.

Dunno why but not feeling much in last few days. Had a disaster with hot water tap earlier, it came off broken and sprayed me with very hot water for good few minutes.

Need something and Tea is out for tonight!!!! Dunno whether to put another grapefruit in tho.

So use say 10x less than pod tea with it cooked powdered?

Cheers mate
Hey there. I've changed my technique since writing that after getting a Vitamix One blender. It's a fancy blender perfect for grinding seeds and making fruit smoothies.

I was adding anywhere from 0.5 to 3 grams of the primo Hens & Chicks poppy pods.

Hey there. I've changed my technique since writing that after getting a Vitamix One blender. It's a fancy blender perfect for grinding seeds and making fruit smoothies.

I was adding anywhere from 0.5 to 3 grams of the primo Hens & Chicks poppy pods.
Nice, I'm being forced to cut down by hospital or the Cardiologist said I have under 50% chance turning 50, I'm 43 😕

I've tried with posh smoothie makers etc. My tolerance is absurd, I'd been told to reduce my Oramorph, I drank 2x 500ml bottles and only felt slightly.

The espresso maker method is much better for me, been using pretty decent pods and running the tea through with next batch. I had about a week ago, 7x Bialetti 9 cup size, 1 cup is 30g, woke up and think I'd gone for 2 days. Not good.

Anyway cheers mate. Its the most innocent sounding drug out there but its killing me

Nice, I'm being forced to cut down by hospital or the Cardiologist said I have under 50% chance turning 50, I'm 43 😕

I've tried with posh smoothie makers etc. My tolerance is absurd, I'd been told to reduce my Oramorph, I drank 2x 500ml bottles and only felt slightly.

The espresso maker method is much better for me, been using pretty decent pods and running the tea through with next batch. I had about a week ago, 7x Bialetti 9 cup size, 1 cup is 30g, woke up and think I'd gone for 2 days. Not good.

Anyway cheers mate. Its the most innocent sounding drug out there but its killing me
A posh blender that can grind whole chia and flax seeds into a fruit smoothie is my new go-to morning ritual. Poppy pods first get broken down dry to powder in a regular Hamilton Beech 6 or 7 speed blender. Then I measure out a gram or so each of poppy straw + kratom on a gram scale on aluminum foil.

The Vitamix One was a lifesaver of better nutrition when dental work made chewing impossible. The advantage of grinding up the pods with seeds and stems is nothing is wasted and extra plant fiber helps with the elimination process so I take a minimal pod dose in a fruit smoothie.

Your expresso maker holds 9 x 30 grams of dried poppy straw? Poppy straw is about half as dense than ground coffee.

Any part of the plant except roots and seeds is C-2 controlled substance in USA. Ever since 1970 Controlled Substances Act.

Last edited:
My typical daily is
3-4 filled levelled cups, plus between 50-150ml of Oramorph, so 100-300mg. The way I'm doing it is by constantly recycling the tea. So I let cool, by then the espresso maker isn't to hot open, I throw the waste, fill the bottom section with 1st lot, top up usually about a cm inside and then use fresh pods n start again. My average is 4 cups though, even that tastes like chewing a ecstasy tablet 🤣, add sugar and lemon juice.

Trying to reduce other bits too. I try and just take 30mg diazepam around 6-8pm

Opiate usage on a daily basis often becomes a ritual or fetish even. Think of the Chinese opium den with smoking pipe prepared just so by expert attendant.

Everyone seems to take poppy tea hot, the opposite of cold smoothie.

Well, most, or all of the morphine is free base, not water-soluble salt like morphine sulphate or chlorhydrate (my favorite).

There's many recipes for industrial chemical extraction of morphine or codeine or thebaine from poppy straw; the ones I've seen aren't using 200+ F steam in first step. UN Office of Drug Control UNODC published them. Haha.

Cold smoothie every morning as a methadone alternative has five advantages over poppy tea or espresso:

1- less constipation from extra fiber;
2- nothing wasted as sludge;
3- insoluble free base opiates digested and absorbed by human bioreactor on daily cycle;
4- zero heat-related chemical decomposition;
5- better health from improved nutrition of ground seeds, protein powder, carrots, spinach, fruits make it very palatable.

Jim Hogshire says don't ever go above 70 centigrade.

P.S. This isn't for getting high. It's to improve health and happiness without methadone klinik.

Last edited:
Ok cheers mate 👍🏻..... I heat very slowly, portable hob that goes to 5 and I use about ½ way to 1, then ⅔ near end to push last bit out of bottom. As I have 1 cup a day. Start around 8-9am, like to make it so it literally takes 1½-2 hours, usually repeat once or twice, depending on desperation.

I know it isn't what you mean or why you mean but I stir sugar n lemon juice in, then wait until I can drink in a gulp always comes out around 500ml.

The 1 I made the other day I iterally felt it almost instantly, so took my time...... I woke up and was in my 2x2x4 metre Chilli tunnel, dunno if just gouching though.

Gotta slow down massively the cardiologist saw me and said he's not sure I'll get to 50, I'm 43. He only knows the 500ml weekly bottle though and Diazepam