• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

question about dabs / oil pens and rate of intake

bleedingheartcommie

Bluelighter
My question is a simple one. I've noticed that compared to smoking the flower, taking thc oil dabs and using oil pens gets you much higher much faster. So much so that if I do enough, I get a similar feeling to Mda/Mdma. While this is all fun fine and good, my question is about the safety of regular use via oil. I'm worried that the body is taking it in and releasing serotonin at too fast a rate. Are there any studies on this? Is using oil more of a now and then thing? Basically, is this method of intake less healthy in the long run than smoking the plant (concerning brain chemical health)?

Thanks
BHC

Although dabbing is a CRAZY experience especially to new/inexperienced smokers, it is actually really not all that different from normal weed smoking. Inhalation is the fastest method of drug intake, so whenever you smoke weed or take dabs the effects are instant. The initial onset of a weed high occurs right after you smoke it, however because there is such a high level of thc in oil, it may appear to come on much faster because you are getting that huge burst of thc. In other words, when you smoke regular weed, the actual smoke you are inhaling contains a decent amount of thc, although the majority of the smoke is from OTHER non thc combustion. However, upon taking dabs, the smoke you are inhaling has a HUGE amount of thc in it so the moment it hit your lungs it starts to absorb, so you absorb a lot more on your very first hit than regular weed. The rush you feel similar to MDMA will most likely lessen/become more distinguishable as its own feeling over time. DO NOT worry about seratonin replenishment ever with any kind of THC, because unlike MDMA it does not even begin to release the same anount of seratonin as when rolling, and will always be able to replenish itself without legitimate notable damage. In terms of actual brain chemistry, dabs work exactly the same as normal bud, EXCEPT the fact that you are just getting a BUNCH of THC at once and its all absorbing quickly. (this is the rush some experience with dabs)
Hope i helped, have fun dabbing!

Honestly dabs hit hard, but it can also lose effect fast..... The only true good dabs I have had are of a device called vapexhale with high quality live resins. While taking regular oils/wax/crumble from dried bud is still good product it does not really compare in my opinion to the live resin as it's such a clean hit of nothing, but goodness where with crumbles and wax they probably contain lots more useless crap vs the see through pure amber stable solid live resin shatters that depending on strain mainly changes consistency and texture, but not color. With bud and anything with useless crap with the medicine smoked even harmful unflushed nutes that can take away from the health benefits. It may be possible your not damaging yourself as much trying to do waxs so it feels clear, and healthy..... Than again I've had wax that was cleaned with nitrious or something that tasted wrong, felt line my throat, and even just left me feeling dizzy, sick, and quesy.

To conclude just be mindful of what your smoking. While a good balance of cannabinoids can be beneficial possibly healthy just like anything only in moderation. It may be awesome to get rid of the pain in life with help, but sometimes we have to deal with it ourselves.

OP, I think that it is an interesting idea, may be onto something. I suppose if when inhaled the effects are nearly instantaneous then inhaling dense/more pure smoke would result in more and faster stimulation, which would be more akin to a harder drug than just smoking a joint might be. Or it would seem so to me at least. How much so I don't think it is really that big of a difference. Most people don't smoke concentrates like they do weed either, so it might be a bigger initial influx of stimulation it will be much shorter in duration.

I agree, the high is much more pronounced than just smoking a joint but tolerance does build even to wax.

Using oil rigs is a lot different to vaporising since the temperatures involved are lower for the latter. This topic of discussion seems to be a bit of a contentious issue but many say that with an oil rig the vaporisation is only partial (volatilization is a more accurate than vaporisation) and some of the oil will end up being partially combusted and hence possibly creating harmful by-products deposited in the lungs.

At the moment the most popular nails in oil rigs tend to be made from grade 2 titanium. It has been suggested that with repeated exposure to high temperatures from butane torches causes low grade corrosion of the titanium producing titanium oxide/dioxide, a whitish substance you see forming on the edges of the nail. This substance is possibly is a possible carcinogen but I have no idea if it presents any risk whatsoever to humans in real life. Quartz is more durable than glass less so than Ti. Because it is completely safe and inert it's probably a safer bet in the extremely small chance that titanium poses some small health risk.

In terms of the healthy risks of the cannabinoid content of the cannabis concentrate you smoke itself causing any risk to your brain chemistry, this is not really an issue compared to drugs like MDMA which you made the comparison with. Repeated and prolonged cannabis use can change the balance endo-cannabinoids in the brain but this is not particularly harmful as your brain will return to equilibrium if you take a long enough break. For adults even daily cannabis use doesn't really prevent many people from functioning relatively well, particularly if they are partial to the effects of the herb, especially if it they have a high tolerance. Counter-intuitively with regular daily use cognitive impairment to the user slowly starts to fade which is why things like driving start to become safer.

There are ways to vaporise concentrates with some vaporisers. Some types of vape make it easier to smoke hash or oils. One of the reasons I chose the vape I have, the Arizer Solo is because makes vaping hashes like bubble hash really easy as well as oil. Other vapes like the popular Da Vinci Ascent even have special oil bowls for vaping oil. These allow you to make sure you don't exceed a preset temperature and ensure none of the componenets of the oil are combusted.

The advantage of concentrates is as the name implies, they are very potent and far far less is required to safely deliver a given amount of cannabinoid into your system. So on that basis they have to edge over flowers and it's better suited to people with a high tolerance and especially to medical users that need to flood their system with cannabinoids or who don't not want to constantly be using large amounts of flower on a daily basis.

For convenience when you're on the move some of the newer pen oil vapes work quite well but the vast majority are absolute dog shite quality. The heating coil on lots of them is made from cheap nichrome instead of titanium. The good ones are microprocessor-controlled to prevent things like overheating. I'm looking to buy one to smoke some oil on the move and will use my small oil rig with a titanium domeless nail at home. When you buy an oil rig you want them to be small, unlike a bong which is usually much larger.

If you want to smoke oil in a vape you can if you need to dab a bit of the oil onto a piece of organic cotton wool.

Last edited:
It should be safer since it's purer so there's less to inhale & you shouldn't be burning it. The most harmful stuff is the combustion products from burning bud (or other plant material), you shouldn't get any of that if you're vaping oil, it should be near pure cannabinoids. I like to vape hash or oil in a glass oil pipe, not going to get anything harmful coming out of glass, there's no huge bong for all your oil to stick to & it's easier to make sure it doesn't burn. Vaporizers are good for herb & can provide a similar type of hit from plain bud if you get a good vape.

I think the real answer is no one knows. There are no studies showing what happens when you take that much THC into your system for long periods of time. Who knows maybe it is safe but I think a lot of it is wishful thinking from stoners who think weed is like magic.

A related question... Do you get the CBS's when using oil? If not, can that new lack of CBS's be harmful long run? Especially if you benefit from them...?

I think they mean they meant CBx as in CBD, CBG, CBN, and even CBG. There's also THCV/CBxV and even THCA/CBxA. Makes me wonder if there's a THG or THD

I agree with noone1 here. Know one really knows for sure yet. No studies have come out about this. Some people who really know the plant might have a better guess then others but still, its kind of a mystery about long term effects. This industry now is just booming and all these products are coming out but there doesnt seem to be too much regulation on things.

All i know is dont believe any study the u.s. govt comes out with. They still have their ridiculous schedule system that puts weed in the same box has heroin and places meth in a less harmful category then weed.