• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Question about coming off of lyrica

Slow_Mobius

Bluelight Crew
I've been using lyrica for a few months now. Originally it was just at night, but that soon became twice a day and its been three times a day for about three weeks now. I live a busy lifestyle, and the constant tired feeling is just not working for me. Before taking lyrica, I used to consume a lot of caffeine, but now its like I have to constantly drink coffee and energy drinks to get through my days. I don't want to be on this med anymore. aAt least I don't want to have to take it during the day.

My question is if it'll be difficult and/or dangerous to come off of 150 mg/day use? My doctor won't prescribe it as needed, but that's how I would like to take it after I reset (or mostly reset) my tolerance level. I have pain issues that keep me from sleeping, and that's why I was initially prescribed it at night... but now if I don't take my morning or afternoon dose I'll experience minor WD. Should I just talk to my doctor about switching to something else? I don't want to lose out on my lyrica script since it does significantly help with sleep.

Thanks for any replies

Yeah coming off 150mg might be rather unpleasant. I would consider tapering down before you jump off. Also yes, talking to your doctor honestly about your situation and concerns, is always the best course of action! Now I know doctors are hesitant to prescribe opiates, hence they love lyrica.. but given the fact that you want to take it for spot, break through pain, I dont think lyrica is the best choice here. It sounds like hydrocodone, or even oxycodone, would better suite your needs. Just be honest with your doctor, they'll usually work with you. If for some reason he's stubborn and stuck in his ways, maybe even getting paid to write lyrica 'scripts? ( only speculation), you can always switch doctors and get a second opinion.

- Hopeless Soul

Is The Lyrica for nerve pain? I am prescribed 150 mg twice a day for neuropathy. I am prescribed oxycodone IR and morphine ER for my back and hip pains. I've never heard of being prescribed lyrica for anything but nerve pain or fibromyalgia. What are you prescribed Lyrica for? I have to agree with 7nos hydro or Oxy sounds about right for ya.

I have a rare condition so I'll refrain from details for anonymity's sake. I'll get pinched nerves that are bothersome, but the worst of it usually comes from spasms and joint issues. I've also been taking kratom daily which helps a ton (only other pain med I've gotten is tramadol which is a God awful drug)

I'm also young, and most docs think I'm looking to get high or something since they're often not familiar with my condition. Fortunately, my current doc has treated people with the same problem and he's been a big help. I'll be moving in a couple weeks though, so I'm a little disheartened about having to go through the whole process of finding someone good again... this guy was the first helpful doctor I've literally ever had.

The lyrica did help a lot at the start but now l only get the side effects even since increasing my daily intake. I think I'll just call my doc tomorrow and see what he says.

Will doctors even prescribe stronger Opiods as needed though? I've told previous docs in the past that tramadol makes me feel on edge, and since my pain is usually worse in the evenings, I either take tramadol which keeps me up all night or I don't take it and stay up all night in discomfort/pain... and they have always said they don't know what they want me to do. They'll usually try to prescribe muscle relaxers which don't help at all.

Cut out the 25 mg that I added a couple weeks ago np. Still waiting to hear back from my doc

Its not gonna be comfortable. Lyrica and neurontin will give you a similar "crashing back to reality" feeling as benzos in the form of derealization and this subtle but cunning form of depression thats unique to GABA withdrawal. Jumped from 4g of neurontin five days ago and it sucks total dick.

Lowered sex drive, zero sleep for first 96hrs. Painfully void of any form of comfort. Lowered appetite and bitter mood swings. Throw in crippling anxiety and you're gonna wish you had at least some Valium. I always take a benzo once or twice a week during gabapentin or lyrica withdrawal.

Lyrica withdrawal seems to be a little more pronounced for me because it's a little more potent and faster acting. They both leave your system relatively quick however. Best advice is to keep a very small benzo supply for the acute phase. It might not effect you but theres a whole community of people here that can attest to the special kind of hell neurontin and Lyrica withdrawal can be