• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Question About Amphetamine Tolerance

TheCollegeTweaker

Greenlighter
My specific question: I am prescribed 87.5mg of "Mydayis", which is basically Adderall XR with three sets of beads so that the amphetamine will last longer. Since the medication has three sets of beads it only releases one-third of the amphetamine at any given point. If I was to take the pill normally, it would dose me with 29.8mg of Adderall at any one point, but I have been crushing the beads inside of the capsules. I've been crushing up the beads for only three weeks or so, and intaking a full 87.5mg at one time. My question is, has my three weeks of misuse made my tolerance too high to get any benefits from my normal dose? Would taking 87.5mg every day for three weeks make a 30mg dose negligible?

If anyone has any information that can be shared with me I'm all ears.

Is your dose of 87.5mg taken only once per day? If so the peak of the intact spansule will be mitigated, but it's overall duration will be superior. There's also the building of sustained levels over time that might be more tolerance inducing than a once a day peak with more time for clearance. You're going to have a flatter sine wave of drug levels with the return of extended release.

So considering the total daily intake is still the same, I wouldn't expect a wild fluctuation in tolerance, maybe just a psychological desire for the greater rush the higher dose provides. In essence you might feel like your tolerance has been spiked but physiologically it hasn't. Although an adjustment period most likely will still be required.

By comparison probably. But, I think crushing them will just send you on a hedonic treadmill to nowhere. You already have a script for 90 mg of amphetamine a day why push it? I take it 55 mg of adderall xr a day and just take it daily as prescribed. Does it feel like I am gunna clean the house then read a novel no. But, do i feel like my focus and alertness is strongly improved and mood moderately so? Yes.

I think if you start skipping days chasing that crazy feeling youll end up with excess pills. Then, being crazy tweaked some days and a zombie other days.

It's all about what you're after. Taking 90mg at once for three weeks will make taking 30mg at once seem disappointing, yeah. That's if you're looking for a high. But that 90mg will crap out on you come evening study-time, and a third 30mg may be just right.

There's nothing about abusing it for three weeks of Christmas break that would nullify any slow-release, back in school, study-enhancing, as-prescribed use, if that's what you're wondering. But if you were used to getting a boost in the morning on your 30mg x 3 regimen, a little feeling like a happy shot of espresso, you probably won't notice it now. But it'll still be working for you in the evening. You might notice your stamina is a little improved.

Is your dose of 87.5mg taken only once per day? If so the peak of the intact spansule will be mitigated, but it's overall duration will be superior. There's also the building of sustained levels over time that might be more tolerance inducing than a once a day peak with more time for clearance. You're going to have a flatter sine wave of drug levels with the return of extended release.

So considering the total daily intake is still the same, I wouldn't expect a wild fluctuation in tolerance, maybe just a psychological desire for the greater rush the higher dose provides. In essence you might feel like your tolerance has been spiked but physiologically it hasn't. Although an adjustment period most likely will still be required.

I'm prescribed a 50mg pill and a 37.5mg pill, both to be taken in the morning. For the past three weeks, instead of taking the spansules whole, I've been dumping out the beads into a pill crusher and eating the crushed powder.

And, let me try to understand this properly. Even though I'm breaking the time release and I'm getting all three of my daily doses at once, it won't matter because I'm still taking the same dose everyday?

If I start taking my medication as prescribed again, and there is a tolerance to the point where the medication isn't helping me with my ADD symptoms; how long should I abstain to make my tolerance go down?

There's a myriad of variables at work that would effect that equation, but if you feel your meds have lost all their 'magic' knock the 37.5 off for a weekend or over a break from school for a few days. The point we've been getting at is you need to decide if you want that rocketship blast for a few hours or a steady hum for the whole day. I don't know which symptoms effect you the most with your ADD but I would imagine the steady state dosing is still going to help even if it dosen't feel like the few hours at full throttle. This one might benefit from some trial and error to determine just how much altering your dosing regimen effects you. I don't think it's going to be that huge of a difference in my opinion.

It's all about what you're after. Taking 90mg at once for three weeks will make taking 30mg at once seem disappointing, yeah. That's if you're looking for a high. But that 90mg will crap out on you come evening study-time, and a third 30mg may be just right.

There's nothing about abusing it for three weeks of Christmas break that would nullify any slow-release, back in school, study-enhancing, as-prescribed use, if that's what you're wondering. But if you were used to getting a boost in the morning on your 30mg x 3 regimen, a little feeling like a happy shot of espresso, you probably won't notice it now. But it'll still be working for you in the evening. You might notice your stamina is a little improved.

That's really the main thing that I wanted to know. My classes are too important for me to not pay attention.

Your meds will still work, you just won't feel as chipper in the morning for a while.

There's a myriad of variables at work that would effect that equation, but if you feel your meds have lost all their 'magic' knock the 37.5 off for a weekend or over a break from school for a few days. The point we've been getting at is you need to decide if you want that rocketship blast for a few hours or a steady hum for the whole day. I don't know which symptoms effect you the most with your ADD but I would imagine the steady state dosing is still going to help even if it dosen't feel like the few hours at full throttle. This one might benefit from some trial and error to determine just how much altering your dosing regimen effects you. I don't think it's going to be that huge of a difference in my opinion.

Since it's the beginning of the semester I'll be able to take a tolerance break if it's needed. Both of you have basically told me that I will most likely receive benefit from my normal dose, but in comparison to the dose I was taking, it might feel 'disappointing'. As long as it helps me with my basic issues like listening and reading comprehension, I'll be fine; and if it doesn't, like I mentioned before I can just take a tolerance break for two weeks and see how that goes.

Bingo! With all seriousness though, I do hope that it seems like a bigger deal than it really turns out to be.

This is pretty simple. Yes, you have most likely increased your tolerance, and yes, this will make taking a smaller dose of Amphetamine less apparent in terms of effect. There is no way to chart or describe this in definitive terms. Your body and what it tells you will be the best resource to glean information from. Every person is different and will ultimately experience different subjective effects. For this reason it's near impossible to give someone an answer in absolute terms.

At any rate, if you desire to get a positive effect from the smaller dose, it will require using less Amphetamine for a time to reduce your tolerance.