• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Quaaludes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metropolisforever

Bluelighter
Qualuudes were one of the most commonly used drugs in the 1970s. Everyone had done them - especially college kids. They were probably used more than weed.

In the early 1980s, production of it stopped. In 1984, it was made a Schedule I Drug in the United States, making possession of it a felony.

According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
After the legal manufacture of the drug ended in the United States in 1982, underground laboratories in Mexico continued illegal manufacture of methaqualone all through the 1980s, continuing the use of the "714" stamp, until their popularity waned in the early 1990s.

Nowadays, Quaalude is a mystical, legendary sort of thing. People who claim to have used it are looked upon as some sort of God by fellow stoners. Only a select few can still find Quaaludes today.

Has Bluelight ever used Quaalude? Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited:
my dad has popped some ludes before and he said it was kinda like taking a bar. he also mentioned taking a "tree" which i think he said contained 3 substances in one pill, possibly 3 barbituates

IIRC, the only place where quaaludes are still prescribed is around the South Africa region under the name Mandrax.

And all of this info is getting old. But I'm not throwing the stone, I'm posting old info too (about benzos for instance).

I always heard that when the quaaludes were made illegal that a lot of clandestine labs were producing the 714 lemmons or whatever, but they were actually just high doses of diazepam per pill.

and I thought the ones in south africa were also made in clandestine labs, but were actual methaqualone.

i have a quaalude hook up. i live in Los Angeles, CA in an affluent area were money is no issue so the dealers usually have quality suppliers, and whatever drug you want is yours for the right price. where i live, my dealer who is reliable and i've known for years sells authentic quaaludes diverted from legitamite sources(methaqualone is still Rx'ed in some countries, notably South Africa). ludes are expensive(remember its the real deal, not diazepam sold as ludes), and are generally in the price range of quality XTC pills.

now, fake quaaludes are common. they usually contain around 50-90mg. diazepam(valium) and considering that methaqualone and benzos have pretty similar effects(both act on GABA-a; produce CNS depression inducing intoxication, euphoria, feeling drunk, lowered inhibitions, sedation) buyers of these fakes often think they are getting "ludes". but i have used downers extensively and can easily tell the difference, plus i have a good source.

also i've heard pills of phenobarbital(most common barbiturate perscribed these days), xanax, ativan, and even some opiate painkillers(i've heard vicodin, codeine, and percocet; but this is not common as narcotics like oxycodone are higher in demand and more expensive, but vicodin and percs could be due to the fillers and therefore lower demand than oxycontin).

as for the effects of quaaludes: they are the best GABAergic downer imo. better than any benzo or barb. they are more like barbiturates and alcohol than benzos as they cause more clumbsiness and "drunken intoxication". in short, they feel like a good strong alcohol intoxication with generally more euphoria and a nice body feeling. there is also no nasuea or hangovers like alcohol, and the high just feels "smoother".

i'm lucky enough to have the money and hook ups for such a more uncommon drug. however quaaludes like barbiturates can be very dangerous. there is(unlike benzos) a big risk for overdose, high toxicity if overdosed, risk for severe and dangerous physical dependence as well as psychological dependence and tolerance, risks for blackouts(esp. when combined with booze or other depressants), clumbsiness, and other dangers.

methaqualone is a fun drug. if you ever are lucky enough to find a reliable source or hook up, have fun but be safe, ludes aren't "safe" like benzos.

What exactly were quaaludes? I mean what were the prescribed for? What kind of high were they?

i would assume for anti-anxiety or for panic attacks

they are downers.. barbs from what i understand are short-acting instead of benzos like kpins and xanax that last for a few hours or more

What exactly were quaaludes? I mean what were the prescribed for? What kind of high were they?

methaqualone is a powerful GABAergic sedative/hypnotic that was perscribed for insomnia and anxiety. the high was an intoxication similar to barbiturates, alcohol, and strong benzos, but generally were more euphoric. they soom became popular recreational drugs, notably the disco club scene(they were called "disco biscuit"). as abuse started to become common and ludes were becoming popular recreational drugs, they were put in schedule 1 and therefore became less and less common/available and popular on the street with the increased use and perscription of benzos. now authentic ludes are uncommon and other drugs replaced them as "club drugs".

they are still perscribed in South Africa(were they're a problem) and Canada, as well as a few other countries. the real ludes my dealer has comes from these countries, other "quaaludes" in the U.S. are usually fake containing diazepam.

*Notice: some think that methaqualone is a barbiturate, and even though it has a very similar mechanism of action and depressant effects, methaqualone is not a barbiturate.

it is in it's own class of drugs along with others that are similar in structure.

i would assume for anti-anxiety or for panic attacks

they are downers.. barbs from what i understand are short-acting instead of benzos like kpins and xanax that last for a few hours or more

It's medical use was as a sleeping pill. It's not actually a barbiturate, it's a sedative/hypnotic which has similar effects to barbiturates - it's big claim to fame when it was first marketed was being "non-addictive" (it's amazing how many drugs marketed on this basis turn out to be just as addictive than the drugs they're replacing).

South Africa removed Mandrax (a combination of methaqualone and diphenhydramine hydrochloride) from legal sale in 1971.

I think one of the reasons that Quaaludes have such a mythology attached to them is that they were legally available for such a short time (they were only approved for use in 1966 and UN countries started restricting their use in 1971).

Quaaludes and barbituates are more addictive than benzos? Really?

I didn't think ANYTHING was more addictive than benzos.

They're all highly addictive but the window between therapeutic dose and lethal dose gets small very quickly with barbiturates. Nobody's going to accidentally overdose on benzos unless they combine them with other drugs whereas unintended barbiturate overdoses were common.

Every generation seems to have its wonder drug which is marketed as less addictive than its predecessors only to prove just as addictive once it's out of trials and in the wild- heroin is the ultimate example of this, developed as a "non-addictive" alternative to morphine.

Quaaludes and barbituates are more addictive than benzos? Really?

I didn't think ANYTHING was more addictive than benzos.

Yes, they are more addictive. They have higher binding to the GABA-a receptor site than benzodiazepines do, in turn making the withdrawals worse.

he also mentioned taking a "tree" which i think he said contained 3 substances in one pill, possibly 3 barbituates

What you're referring to Dexamyl, which I'm more sorry I missed out on than Quaaludes (although I'm sure I would have adored them!). The term "christmas trees" was due to their red and clear capsule with green balls inside. Dexamp and amobarbital on the same pill?? no idea how THAT pill passed clearance (well, it was probably due to the comparatively weak standards of practice and unimposing societal presence of the FDA then) but DAMN that musta been one hell of a great time, combining a few of those. Believe production was stopped in the '70s sometime, tho.

Shucks.
:(
~ vaya

Last edited:
Last manufactured and sold in U. S. in 1984. Last country to produce them was South Africa under the name of Mandrake. No longer legally manufactured anywhere in the world. More info at website: http://www.quaaludebottle.com/Q/History.html[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.