• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Push to use psychedelic plant, San Pedro cactus, to treat anxiety, depression, PTSD

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hi everyone. I'm posting this news piece published today for two reasons - (1) interesting content regarding upcoming legislation change in Australia on psychedelics as medicine and (2) Bluelight got a mention - Liam has published a few papers based on his PhD done in collaboration with Bluelight and is a friend of us :)

Push to use psychedelic plant, San Pedro cactus, to treat anxiety, depression, PTSD
Declan Bowring
ABC News (Australia)
21 June 2023

Excerpt:
Dr Engel's PhD on harm reduction analysed more than 260,000 anecdotal reports of drug use on an online forum hosted by BlueLight, an international harm-reduction community website.

"There's all these interesting community experts, people that aren't formal researchers, but still have some really amazing knowledge behind them," Mr Engel said.

"My kind of drive … was to try to connect some of these really interesting psychoactive knowledges with the science literature."

Powderized dried cactus is as easy to toss and wash as kratom for me. I can get it down in 20 minutes, then if I eat something bready like a bagel right after it kicks in and I do not even get nausea. Especially if I have some cannabis. Not sure why anyone would ever want to make a tea from the dried powder but that’s just me.

Very happy to see psychedelics coming to the forefront in healing, mental and physical health. When I was growing up as a kid, all this stuff was very taboo. How the times change. I can now buy cannabis right next to my deli.

Yes to cacti 👍 👍 👍 they could treat all this for real...without to have negative side effects and eventual toxicity of other ad meds

I feel like the majority of psychedelics would not only make a lot of the mental health issues more tolerable if not completely cure the patient. It's just so terribly sad that instead of healing the sick and educating the people, they (big brother & company) keep the good shit for themselves. If they keep the majority sick and/or addicted then population control works and all the knowledge is locked away from all!

Powderized dried cactus is as easy to toss and wash as kratom for me. I can get it down in 20 minutes, then if I eat something bready like a bagel right after it kicks in and I do not even get nausea. Especially if I have some cannabis. Not sure why anyone would ever want to make a tea from the dried powder but that’s just me.

Very happy to see psychedelics coming to the forefront in healing, mental and physical health. When I was growing up as a kid, all this stuff was very taboo. How the times change. I can now buy cannabis right next to my deli.
How many grams do you generally need?

How many grams do you generally need?
Depends on the cactus. Anywhere from 20 to 40 g. Some of the Peruvianus I had was full at 20 g. But then you read sometimes with regular Pedro, which I have not had, needing about 40 g. This is all dried outer skin.

As I type that I can hear the cactus saying I haven’t visited in a while.

Last edited:
Depends on the cactus. Anywhere from 20 to 40 g. Some of the. Peruvianus I had was full at 20 g. But then you read sometimes with regular Pedro, which I have not had, needing about 40 g. This is all dried outer skin.

As I type that I can hear the cactus saying I haven’t visited in a while.
I got about 15 grams of dried Dan Pedro chips on my dresser and another half a foot of cactus that I was gonna plant. I don't want to touch the other 2 growths(2.5ft) I have till the stub of the cut grows some. It's the wrong season in Florida anyways. It's been raining everyday which I heard makes the cactus weaker. I need to transfer them into rockier soil.

Last edited:
So there is a distictive effect vs Psylocybin or LSD. Also used for that purpose even MDMA.

But this specific effect only Mescaline produces this moment I am to high. but I would love to see where you got it from. Overal sounds positiv. And San Pedro's are available and pretty easy.

There is a lot of potential when looking at Mescaline. Besides the form its delivered in.

Not to psychedelic akin to Psilocybin or LSD. Deeper and longer lasting and less aimed at euphoria then MDMA and to a lesser degree MDA.

Without ever having a experience with it is it akin to 2-CT-2? The only Phenethylamine I found usefull in a therapeutic way. All the other's were lacking in that aspect in my experiences, to much side effect's or distracting effect's. So buying a San Pedro is as of now on my to do list. Maybe I'll even tempt a extraction when its grown large enough. Thanks for the tip as I probably have PTSD.

Hi everyone. I'm posting this news piece published today for two reasons - (1) interesting content regarding upcoming legislation change in Australia on psychedelics as medicine and (2) Bluelight got a mention - Liam has published a few papers based on his PhD done in collaboration with Bluelight and is a friend of us :)

Push to use psychedelic plant, San Pedro cactus, to treat anxiety, depression, PTSD
Declan Bowring
ABC News (Australia)
21 June 2023

Excerpt:
How bout:

Push to use plant medicin, psychedelic plant's, nootropic's and amino acid's for treatment's of modern age diseases.

Just discovered what Mulungu, Curcuma and Acetyl-l-Carnitine do on certain disorder's. On paper (NCBI) they beat our medication's by a long shot. Or positively modify my medication Valproic Acid, Curcuma and Acetyl-l-Carnitine, do that according to research.

One problem Epilepsy. They rate the risk (random site) of an seizure for an epileptic at 2%. using the classic psychedelic's Mescaline being one of em. So basickly when I take LSD or Mescaline risk wise is the same. Wasn't Mescaline not a bit different then the classical's. Being a Phenethylamine, a monamine releaser.

Maybe I should prepare a dose of Mulungu, a anti-convulsent, just in case. And check for interaction with Valproic Acid, but sounds promising to me: Mescaline then LSD and last Psylocybin. Without even having taken it my ecpectations are maybe playing parts on me.

Chronic stress, cortisol nor-adrenaline, are proven to shrink the Hypocampus. PTSD seems like the bigger brother. During research (NCBI) Acetyl-l-Carnitine stimulated neurogenesis in that area.

Is neurogenesis the cause psychedelic's help.

A shrunken hippocampus is called a hypocampus 🤔
No its a typo, we also use the term Hippocampus. Shrunken or not.

Thanks for the pointer SomeGuy :) Guess the same goes for Hippothalamus and Hippofyse.

They made an MRI of my head and next to my Hippofyse are two benign cyst's, interesting. But I am also curious if my Hippocampus show's shrinkage. So I'll have my Neuro dr. to ask up the pic's of the MRI.

Last edited: