Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Pure fentanyl' stamp in PA

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Delco D.A. warns public after Marcus Hook woman dies of Fentanyl overdose
Rose Quinn
Delaware County Daily Times

Pure fentanyl claimed the life of a 30-year-old Marcus Hook woman, authorities said Thursday as they renewed a warning against the powerful synthetic opioid.

“These drugs are manufactured in clandestine labs by criminals, and every single packet has the potential to kill the user,” Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said in a prepared release. “Those who believe they are purchasing heroin end up with a much more dangerous drug that is 100 percent pure and, when ingested, rapidly shuts down the central drive for breathing, resulting in death.”

Whelan was joined by Delaware County Medical Examiner Dr. Fredric Hellman and Marcus Hook Police Chief John Ireland in warning against using the substance branded “Black Dahlia.”

According to the D.A.’s office, Hellman said toxicology results returned on March 19 indicated the recent death of the Marcus Hook woman was “the result of the intravenous administration of pure fentanyl.” Her death marked the first case in 2014 involving pure fentanyl.

The name on the packet is “Black Dahlia,” and the substance was packaged in a blue glassine packet with red lettering. Fentanyl can come in the form of powder, pill or patch and has been known to be snorted or injected into the bloodstream.

“The use of this lethal drug will result in death,” Whelan said.

In June 2013, Whelan issued a similar warning about fentanyl following the deaths of two Delaware County residents the previous month. In both instances, authorities found packaging stamped “Flashback” in red ink.

Whelan said a joint investigation by county detectives and the Marcus Hook Police Department is under way to determine “the facts and circumstances surrounding the (Marcus Hook) woman’s death” earlier this month.

“We are backtracking, looking to develop information on the source, as well as other people who may be involved,” Whelan said.

Ireland reiterated the severity of the situation.

“It’s important to get this life-saving message out,” the chief said.

Thursday morning, Whelan was in Philadelphia for a quarterly meeting of the Philadelphia/Camden High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (PCHIDTA) — a collaborative law enforcement program that according to its website is funded through the Office of National Drug Control Policy, part of the Executive Office of the White House.

The PCHIDTA — one of 28 designated around the U.S. Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands — is comprised of more than 30 participating federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Their goal is to provide a coordinated approach to fight drug trafficking, money laundering, drug-related violent crime and gang threats in the HIDTA-designated counties of Philadelphia, Chester and Delaware in Pennsylvania, and Camden in New Jersey.

The discussion during Thursday’s two-hour meeting focused on the heroin that is flooding Southeastern Pennsylvania, Whelan said.

Citing statistics provided by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Whelan said Pennsylvania has the third-highest rate of heroin users in the nation, behind California and Illinois, but is No. 1 in seizures of pure fentanyl by law enforcement.

“The Southeastern Pennsylvania region is seeing the purest form of heroin, 70 to 90 percent,” Whelan said.

In Delaware County, there’s been a 174 percent increase in deaths related to heroin between 2007 and 2013, and a 680 percent increase in the number of individuals seeking treatment for heroin addiction between 2009 to 2012, he said.

Since January, there have been 12 heroin-related deaths in Delaware County.

In the meantime, Whelan said the Delaware County Heroin Task Force is continuing efforts to educate and prevent the use of heroin and abuse of prescription drugs.

“We are moving forward on many fronts to combat the heroin epidemic that has plagued Delaware County,” said Whelan. “We are determined to do everything possible to protect our children, our families and our communities from the devastating effects of drug addiction.”

Residents who have any information concerning illegal drugs should contact the Marcus Hook Police Department at 610-485-1611 or the Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division at 610-891-4700.

For more information on signs and symptoms of heroin use and recovery resources, visit the Heroin Task Force website.

Link!

Not very clear on what they actually found in the stamp. Is it pharm sourced fent, illictly made fent, an analog?

And if true, it's interesting that it's just fent, and not heroin cut with fent...

Anyway, if you're using, have narcan on hand and use with other people around.

Wow. Been taking some time off but makes me wonder if this shit is going to end up inbmore. I first thought there was a stamp named pure fentanyl, but I gotta say black dahlia is a cool stamp name. If it was pure fent wouldn't it have been pharm? Maybe they meant the stamp was just pure fent. If that was the case that's def enough to drop a tolerant user.

I always wonder when this sort of thing comes up, what dealer in their right mind would want to kill their customers? And why wouldn't they cut it to shit in order to make a profit? Selling "pure fentanyl" just doesn't make any sense.

Wow. Been taking some time off but makes me wonder if this shit is going to end up inbmore. I first thought there was a stamp named pure fentanyl, but I gotta say black dahlia is a cool stamp name. If it was pure fent wouldn't it have been pharm? Maybe they meant the stamp was just pure fent. If that was the case that's def enough to drop a tolerant user.
Yeah, it's a cool name. It is rather esoteric, though. Makes me question who stamped it and how much they knew about what they were putting in the stamp.

Whenever a stamp like this comes around theres a rush (ha) to purchase said stamp. I can't imagine an experienced dealer selling fent to his clientele.
All the more reason to keep narcan at hand and also as already said don't use alone.

I apologize if as my first posting on bluelight I was supposed to do some sort of newbie intro, but I've been lurking the site for the better part of a decade and love it.....in anycase after reading this article and some of the reponses, I too wondered the absurdity of a dealer knowingly selling a bag of pure fent, but as someone else pointed out; what great advertising LEO and the media can make in instances like this.

I could easily see some unscrupulous dealers selling a stamp like that to someone who owed em or was an incessant hassel or something like that.....or am I way out of left field here? hah, obviously it's super fucked up, tantamount to homicide if it was knowingly done, but beyond the realm of some dealers.....I think not. :/

Sorry again for any typos or formatting errors, on my iphone.

These talking heads tend to have a weak grasp on the term "purity." I highly doubt that this was pure fentanyl without any sort of filler.

Well, yeah, I took pure as meaning no adulterant, not no diluteant.

Welcome, zygote. You did it alright
These media people need to get a fucking dictionary - nobody in their right mind would sell "pure fentanyl".
Might have been the only active substnace in the mix, but this is blurring the line between urgent public health warning and misinformation.
Warnings of this nature need to at least make an effort to be accurate - saying people are selling bags of "pure fentanyl" is just misleading.

At least "black dahlia" isn't too far from the truth - it is practically fucking murder.
You might not end up carved up like a surrealist sex death ritual, dumped naked and dismembered in a public street, but I guess you never know. If you drop - what's the difference?

Fucking sick, people selling this shit as heroin; and fucking terrible how many people are dying because of it.

It's difficult not to be suspicious of the motives behind this - greed? Easy availability of fentanyl (or some analogue/s)?
Or something more sinister? Isn't there a large amount of H in the states at the moment anyway - as opposed to a shortage, where people have to resort to this sort of shit?

I don't mean to be conspiratorial, but its a pretty dark game to be playing, and as opi8 said; it's never in a dealer's best interest to kill all their customers.
Call me paranoid, but there are enough historic instances of political interests being tied to - or calling the shots - in the US drug market...epidemics that serve the purposes of propaganda and target the vulnerable. I really hope this isn't the case here - rather, a random series of fucked up events....

please stateside BL users, be safe.

If you can't test your stuff, at least have a really, really small taste before you go rushing in (no pun intended).
Fentanyl doing the rounds as dope is like Russian roulette. At least inspect the thing before you fire away.

It's difficult not to be suspicious of the motives behind this - greed? Easy availability of fentanyl (or some analogue/s)?
Or something more sinister? Isn't there a large amount of H in the states at the moment anyway - as opposed to a shortage, where people have to resort to this sort of shit?

I would imagine it's due to the fact that (a) fentanyl has a relatively simple synthesis and (b) it is approximately 50 times as potent as heroin. If you can synthesize a gram - or have a gram sent to you in the mail, which could easily be done discreetly - you will have approximately 10,000 doses. The profit margin is astronomical.

True.
The incredibly difficult process of evenly diluting it would be the cause of so many deaths then...
And Ive never taken fentanyl or any of its analogues, but my understanding is that the remaining - surviving customers would probably realise that something isnt right about the stuff, right?
Or is it so strong that the decreased half-life and different effects profile get swept away by the imtensity of the experience?

On paper it seems like good business sense (high profits in the very least) - and I guess if you totally don't give a fuck - maybe it is?

I'm not from the states, so i don't really know how the 'stamp' thing works - it's a large-ish scale, fairly anonymous distribution network of street-size deals right?

Fentanyl is a completely different drug, people would know what's up when after they shoot, they don't feel that H rush at all, which would be the first tell. The second tell would be it takes a good 10 seconds or so to feel it come on, I'd imagine that's about the time people would stop breathing.. Going out thinking their shit is bunk. Not a great way to go.... Plus if they didn't die, they'd be sick in a few hours instead of 8-12.

Iv fent is almost a cold feeling, the few times I've had it that way, once it comes on you nod super hard and your head can drop to your chest. Makes it easy for someone with shallow breathing to suffocate. Its scary this stuff is being sold as dope. Plus it feels totally different and isn't that much fun...seems like enough ppl think strongest equals the better high but anyone who is a heavy user knows its not.

im not saying this guy deserved to duy, but seriously.... ODing on something clearly stamped "pure fentanyl".... i mean come on

That's what I thought as well og, but the stamp was called black dahlia. I could see ppl that didn't know better being oh shit pure fent! That's gotta be awesome!