• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pupils still small a long time after coming down?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
I had 600mg codeine w/ some prometh 22 hours ago and my pupils are still pinpoint. Have I got some brain damage or did I just get suuuuper high? As far as symptoms, I have a mild headache and feel really sick

Why would constricted pupils be a sign of brain damage? Did you stop breathing for a few minutes? If not I really really doubt that you have brain damage.
And only you can answer if you got super high or not as we weren't there...
Did you do a CWE? If not you might have overdosed on apap and should go to the ER asap. If you did a CWE you might have an opioid hangover.

Maybe some of the codeine is still metabolized, or some morphine or other metabolites are still in your system

I know, lyrica really works for my wrist pain. My dad gets it for his diabetes pain, y'know in his fingertips and stuff. I sometimes use it for the pain I get from tendon damage in my wrist and elbow, but he's not about sharing his meds so I have to be in really bad pain, otherwise he just tells me to take tylenol, even though I can't fucking use a spoon because my hand hurts so bad

I thought that opiate overdoses could cause brain damage, you know how you're receptors get over stimulated or something, like Edie Sedgwick got brain damage when she overdosed on heroin. I know that's probably very different as it's all going into your system at on with the IV.
I did catch myself not breathing for a while a couple of time but although it felt like forever it was probably only about 30 seconds. I didn't do a CWE, they were pure codeine pills 30mg each. I feel like maybe they didn't digest properly or something because I threw up around 8 hours in and found one of the promethazine pills while cleaning it up (sorry if that was gross)

This seems to be a common point of confusion. Overstimulating opioid receptors causes receptor desensitization which you perceive as increased tolerance. Brain damage occurs when you take so much that you're unable to breathe, so asphyxiation causes hypoxic brain damage.

I have experienced this too, it just seems that sometimes my pupils just want to stay dilated/contracted until given other stimulus. For example, after one DXM trip, my eyes were dilated for about a week even much after any of the hangover had passed, and another time when I had taken CWE'd Vicodin and my eyes had stayed pin-pointed for a good few days. It might be whatever caused that in me, whatever it may be.

oh right gotcha sorry to go back to Edie Sedgwick again but it was found that a lot of blood wasn't getting to certain parts of her brain, is that caused by a lack of oxygen or something else? Because that doesn't really sound like regular brain damage, or does it? I wouldn't really know

It's quite strange...

I know X opiate addicts who are clean now that developed chronic miosis (constricted pupils)

I probably got it too now. I'm a hardcore opiate addict so my pupils are always constricted.

Opiate withdrawal dialates your pupils though.

oh right gotcha sorry to go back to Edie Sedgwick again but it was found that a lot of blood wasn't getting to certain parts of her brain, is that caused by a lack of oxygen or something else? Because that doesn't really sound like regular brain damage, or does it? I wouldn't really know
Opioids decrease blood pressure and if your BP drops under a certain point your organs don't get enough blood, thus not enough oxygen, without enough oxygen your cells die - > damage

It's quite strange...

I know X opiate addicts who are clean now that developed chronic miosis (constricted pupils)

I probably got it too now. I'm a hardcore opiate addict so my pupils are always constricted.

Opiate withdrawal dialates your pupils though.

That's so odd....I was a HUGE opiate addict for years, and now I have been opiate dependent for the past ~7 years...and one thing I have noticed is that my pupils almost never noticeably constrict no matter how large a dose of opioids I take. I have taken(buccaly) up to 4 100mcg/hr fentanyl patches in a 12 hour period without any miosis.

Does this mean there could be something wrong with me? I have noticed my eyesight going slowly but noticeably downhill the past couple years, but that could be me simply getting older(although I'm still under 30). Now I'm wondering if something is wrong with my eyes.

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with someone completely lacking miosis even when taking MASSIVE amounts of opioids?

Could my tolerance have anything to do with it?

That's so odd....I was a HUGE opiate addict for years, and now I have been opiate dependent for the past ~7 years...and one thing I have noticed is that my pupils almost never noticeably constrict no matter how large a dose of opioids I take. I have taken(buccaly) up to 4 100mcg/hr fentanyl patches in a 12 hour period without any miosis.

Does this mean there could be something wrong with me? I have noticed my eyesight going slowly but noticeably downhill the past couple years, but that could be me simply getting older(although I'm still under 30). Now I'm wondering if something is wrong with my eyes.

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with someone completely lacking miosis even when taking MASSIVE amounts of opioids?

Could my tolerance have anything to do with it?

I think some people just have this effect less than others. My pupils are huge anyway - like I'm on shrooms 24/7 - so the effects of meiosis are less noticeable on me, but they definitely constrict by more than 10mm.

I read on pubmed about a study where x people where given x mg of different opiates. I forget the exact numbers but it was done with around thirty people and four of them had no noticeable pupil constriction, except with tramadol, where meiosis was less severe consistently. I couldn't find the article, but it seems that perhaps around 1/6 people don't suffer from opiate induced meiosis as severely as most other users do. Combine that with a high opiate tolerance like yours and you may find your pupils barely constrict.

Thanks for clearing the brain damage thing up kleinerkiffer, I'm now pretty sure I DIDN'T get brain damage, although I did get dangerously low blood pressure from opiates once before. I think I went blind for about 10 minutes, does that sound like low blood pressure to you? I collapsed and threw up but after lying down for a bit I felt better, and after another half hour I was still able to enjoy the high, so no harm done I guess

Humans are surprisingly resilient. Even after actual brain damage neuronal plasticity allows some to regain a lot of function back. Or if caught early enough, a stroke victim can bounce back amazingly well after TPA for example. Not that I suggest putting yourself in a position to test this observation though.

Opioids decrease blood pressure and if your BP drops under a certain point your organs don't get enough blood, thus not enough oxygen, without enough oxygen your cells die - > damage
benzo cause that also ??

imo not contious brain damage and can correct by low dose naltrexone
make up regulation of mu receptor

iam correct or not???

Thanks for clearing the brain damage thing up kleinerkiffer, I'm now pretty sure I DIDN'T get brain damage, although I did get dangerously low blood pressure from opiates once before. I think I went blind for about 10 minutes, does that sound like low blood pressure to you? I collapsed and threw up but after lying down for a bit I felt better, and after another half hour I was still able to enjoy the high, so no harm done I guess

No problem, I forgot to add that opioids decrease breathing and I think this is the more likely way to get brain damage, you don't breath enough -> not enough oxygen for your organs -> damage

Sounds like it could have been an overdose and low BP, but there's a line between low and extremely low BP and I don't think you crossed it, so there shouldn't be any long term damage.
Some salt water can help with low BP as sodium increases BP

Idk man try using google translate and yes, benzo overdoses can cause low blood pressure, a withdrawal symptom of benzos is high blood pressure as a result of that

imo not contious brain damage and can correct by low dose naltrexone
make up regulation of mu receptor

iam correct or not???
Brain damage and receptor downregulation are different things.
Brain damage -> cell death
Receptor downregulation -> internalization/desensitisation of receptors