View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

pupils don't dilate anymore?

digital_phreedom

Bluelighter
Just wondering if anyone else is like this..

My first few times taking things like mdma or lsd i remember very distinctly being amazing when looking in the mirror at how incredibly huge my pupils had become! you almost couldn't see the iris in my eyes at all, just big black circles about the size of nickels that didn't even seem to constrict in the light.

well fast forward a few years, and now whenever i roll or trip and take a look at my eyes... there's seemingly no dilation anymore. for example, i walk into the bathroom and look in the mirror, and my pupils look like they may be a little bit bigger than normal, but this is in the dark.. so then i turn on the light and they constrict right away and look completely normal. no matter how hard i'm rolling or tripped, they never seem to dilate anymore..

just wondering why, anybody else?

hmm pupil dilation is caused by stimulation of andrenergic receptors. I've always thought that the level of pupil dilation was a gauge as to how hard I was tripping, but I've actually found that it's the other way around; my level of tripping was a gauge as to how big my pupils would be when I looked at them.

When you're tripping do you feel stimulated? Pupils dilate when stimulated and constrict when relaxed, eg. stimulants dilate pupils, depressants constrict pupils. Are you taking any depressant along during your trips that might bring the pupil dilation back to normal?

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about the stimulation aspect. I guess I would say I definately feel stimulated when rolling or tripped, however maybe not as excited as I was the first few times I did it? I don't know, that's a hard comparison to make. It would maybe explain why I don't experience dilation while tripped, but I don't think that would be sufficient to explain it while I'm rolling, because I'm usually excited out of my mind then. Although I do think that when I look in the mirror my pupils seem slightly bigger when rolling than when tripped, but it still just isn't like it used to be.. there used to be absolutely no constriction response to light.. but now, like I said, even when rolling extremely hard, the light will constrict them.

And to answer your question, no, I'm not on or using any type of depressant while rolling or tripped. And I'm also not on any other kind of medications or anything. I use 5-HTP after rolls, and magnesium beforehand, when I remember to. That's about it though.

Yeah, my pupils used to get ridiculously dilated. When you get used to tripping it's not as new and exciting and I think that's what causes the diminished reaction. My pupils still dilate but not like they used to, and they do respond to light.

If you enjoy your trips, what does it matter whether your pupils are ridiculously dilated or not? Heck it could very well be a plus, by the of chance you have to talk to a sober person while tripping you'll look relatively normal instead of having saucers for pupils.

Good point.. It was just something I was curious about. And that's so true about not having saucer eyes. Funny you said that, I actually had an interesting time with that last night. Accidentally ended up meeting my girlfriends grandparents, aunt, and uncle, while tripping pretty hard... haha. They didn't notice though I guess.

I used to get massive pupils on mdma and shrooms. Now i dont get it at all. I used to only take 2 pills in 2002 and my eyes would be massive till the next morning. Nowdays i can eat up to 6-7 pills at not get any big pupils. Same goes with shrooms.

So, I went to an eye doctor yesterday and they had to dilate my pupils. Probably used Cyclopentolate from what the internets tell me. Anyway it was interesting because I got saucer eyes and I realized i haven't had those in years.

I remember years ago going outside and looking at car headlights and thinking "So beautiful!" and driving home some of the green in the park was brighter than usual. This makes sense to me, as I've noticed these things missing from my trips lately.

I think that the bright lights associated with pupil dilation are part of the experience. Breathing walls and morphing patterns are cool and all, but I miss the days of bright colors and pretty lights. Maybe if I just take a REALLY BIG dose...

What do you guys think? Do you miss it?

same here, they dilate but about half of what they used to. I used to take pictures of them they got so large, maybe its an adaptation our bodies have made to the chems. like oh heres this again no need to go haywire here and there etc.

picture106fresco.jpg

third mushroom trip
haven't been that saucer since

Last edited:
That's odd they don't dilate anymore, I pride myself on my dilated eyes (notice the name and avatar ha :)). I can always feel my pupils enlarging, especially when it's happening slowly. I'll always be like "Okay they're dilated now" and I'll check and I'll be right on and I'd have just checked like 5 minutes before and they were fine.

Maybe your body has become accustomed to the drugs you take and the dilation of your pupils has ceased to exist anymore. I don't quite know, but I know this has happened to me before, especially on weaker drugs and/or certain particular psychs... don't know if it's like what you're experiencing though.

Who cares though anyway? Dilated pupils just mean you're fucked up, better to not look fucked up for the most part - especially when out and about and messed up.

-dp

Depression & Anxiety MEGA Thread - Depression/Anxiety Talk + Over 100 Links of Info

if you're taking 6-7 pills of ecstasy, you might wanna find better pills haha.

Unless you are dosing over 4-5 hours that's a ridiculous amount.

if they're good you shouldn't need more than 3 on the first drop, and maybe 1 or 2 an hour or so into it. anymore is just overkill and bad for you. Possibly 4 if you have a high tolerance....Careful with tabs though, as you don't know what adulterants are in them, you can end up in the hospital if you're not careful.

if you're taking 6-7 pills of ecstasy, you might wanna find better pills haha.

Unless you are dosing over 4-5 hours that's a ridiculous amount.

if they're good you shouldn't need more than 3 on the first drop, and maybe 1 or 2 an hour or so into it. anymore is just overkill and bad for you. Possibly 4 if you have a high tolerance....Careful with tabs though, as you don't know what adulterants are in them, you can end up in the hospital if you're not careful.

What are you talking about? This is a harm reduction website we don't advocate taking large amounts of anything. And I think your post pretty much says it's okay to take many pills through out the night.

If anything, find a good connection and take as little as possible to reach the high you want. I never take more than 3 tabs, but I also have a natural tolerance to amphetamines so I need more. MDMA is nothing to mess around with on a constant basis, let alone taking many pills in one night, even if it is spaced out that means nothing. All the extra bullshit put in the tabs are now in your system as well. Not to mention your liver has to process all of that and well it's just not too healthy, and it's not good for your brain either.

You do want normal serotonin levels eventually right? Well stop taking large amounts of ecstasy and you should be fine over time.

-dp

Depression & Anxiety MEGA Thread - Depression/Anxiety Talk + Over 100 Links of Info

Last edited:
Well I only recently did MDMA for the first time,
my pupils were still massive up until around 1pm the next day, considering i dropped at around 10pm the previous night.

i have actually never checked out my pupils while on shrooms, will do :)

I love having dialated pupuls while rolling or tripping. It makes me feel great when I see them for some reason. I also have noticed that my pupils are bigger then anyone have I have ever seen on any drug. The same goes for anyone that has blue eyes. They just seem to be bigger then anyone with any other color of eyes. I wonder what the reason for this is.

my eyes do not dilate at all on acid?

I have taken LSD in various doses from moderate/large doses to intentionally taking very low microdoses and my eyes do not dilate at all on it.

However, they do on mushrooms and even while on shrooms I will be coming down or sober for a few hours after coming down and my eyes will still be dilated, does this happen to anyone else?

I have taken LSD in various doses from moderate/large doses to intentionally taking very low microdoses and my eyes do not dilate at all on it.

However, they do on mushrooms and even while on shrooms I will be coming down or sober for a few hours after coming down and my eyes will still be dilated, does this happen to anyone else?

You didn't have LSD.

You probably got DOxed.

There are DOX's that even with larger doses don't dialate your pupils. I've tripped a few times on them and my eyes pupils weren't huge like with LSD.

^ Any andrenergic stimulant usually causes pupil dilation. DOx's clearly fall under that category.

Merging in a good thread on the subject.

Mine only really dilate if I am tripping ridiculously hard in low to medium light settings. These days I can trip outdoors just about as hard as I want and not have to worry about it. Its actually quite nice not to have to be concerned about it...

You didn't have LSD.

You probably got DOxed.

There are DOX's that even with larger doses don't dialate your pupils. I've tripped a few times on them and my eyes pupils weren't huge like with LSD.

Nope I had LSD.

I took it years/decades before DOx was being put on blotter or sold as "acid".

Also other people took the same windowpane/blotter I did and it was indeed LSD.