• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Psychotropic Drugs & Getting High (Specifically Opiates)

bipolar-sunshine

Bluelighter
Once I started on Celexa 120mg, Abilify 15mg and Seroquel 300mg (I also take Vyvanse 60mg and Adderall 20mg,) I stopped being able to feel my opiates.

At first I thought it was just a tolerance built up (I usually have to take at least 60mg roxy,) but after researching a little more about psychotropic drugs, I've read that it can keep you from getting high or feeling the same.

Now why is this and is there any way that I will be able to enjoy my opiates again? I occasionally dabble with cocaine, and I have noticed a difference with that too, but I also have ADD so I was also wondering if having ADD would hurt a coke high?

Any input is appreciated!

it can keep you from getting high or feeling the same.

What can keep you from getting high? That's a very general statement and you listed three drugs. It also helps if you post the reference where you heard that. What opiates are you using, by what ROA, and at what dose? How long have you been using them and how frequently?

Starting two antipsychotics and a SSRI will certainly change how you feel on a day-to-day basis, because the combination fo the 3 drugs has wide-ranging effects in the brain, logically it will change the effects of some drugs, too.

SSRIs and opioids normally have no negative interaction; opioids and antipsychotics will usually increase the sedative effects if co-administered (esp. Seroquel). I would think the combination of aripiprazole and quetiapine is going to block some of the effects of the amphetamines however, as those drugs act by decreasing the activity of dopamine or norepinephrine at dopamine and adrenergic receptors. For this reason Seroquel can be used to help amphetamine comedowns, but regular dily usage of the combo will make both drugs less effective over time.

I'm using mainly roxycodones 60mg a day. I used to snort it, but I've switched back to oral because of the better BA.

Anecdotally, I've found that Seroquel/quetiapine, taken in the 75mg/day range (without having achieved stable plasma concentrations), will moderately inhibit my ability to derive pleasure from opiates (both codeine and oxycodone)...though it did add substantially to the sedation. Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure taking anything that antagonizes dopamine will decrease drug pleasure. Given that R/oxycodone effects dopamine, I imagine that this is at least partially responsible for the decrease in effects.
For the same reason, you might find cocaine less enjoyable.
As well--- 120mg Celexa a day? The new(ish) maximum safe dose is 40mg, anything above can induce QT interval prolongation and heart arrhythmia; not that it's any of my business, but did your doc not say anything about it?

No, my doctor never said anything about the high dose of celexa.

Shit, I'm sorry, CYMBALTA! I meant cymbalta. I always mix those two up. Does that make any difference?

If anything I would expect duloxetine to increase opioid analgesia; it's an analgesic itself it seems. SNRI drugs are known to be mild/moderate analgesics, see also tramadol.