• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Psychosis effects lingering a bit too long

SirSpun93

Greenlighter
Hey everybody,

I recently took a four day run smoking meth, and decided not to sleep knowing full well that never ends well for me, before having to stop because of a slight OD. (Best way I can explain it anyway...) The normal side effects came about; paranoia, anxiety, depression, hallucinations, etc. After several days recovering I still feel paranoid, anxious, and depressed. I've been through all of this before, and gone much longer too, but the feelings always faded over time. Not sure what to make of this.
Does anyone know of an at home remedy for this? Or at least something to suppress the symptoms as my mind recovers. I've been talking to my ex, which scares the shit out of me that I fried my brain lol, and I don't want to end up doing something during this lull that I'd regret like taking her back.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Never experienced this long of a mental rebound from the stuff before.

Thanks,
SirSpun

homeless ----> OD

out of those 4days, how many hours have you slept since?

What downers do you have on hand? Benzos? Z-drugs? Antipsychotics?

During the four days - no sleep at all
Past four days since - probably 14-16 hours each day
No downers or antipsych to speak of, best I can do is maybe some 300mg gabapentin.

I had the same thing happen to me from using meth many years ago.

This will pass, you for sure didn't fry your brain. You are in no danger. It's taking a bit longer than usual but you will feel fine soon.

Next time you do this, try to make sure you have some benzos or antipsychotics beforehand - I suspect that would have spared you from much of what you're going through at the moment. One thing to remember, and potentially hold onto at times when you feel truly hopeless, is that however unpleasant stim psychosis can be (and I understand, having had the misfortune of going through it multiple times), in the majority of cases it's temporary and will completely subside after a few days at most.

If you feel your insomnia is significantly worsening things, see a doctor about it. Definitely don't mention the meth; I suggest you up come up with an excuse for your psychological state, such as work (burnout, forced overtime, etc), family issues (I have no specific examples to suggest, but I've yet to encounter a family with no potentially stress-inducing internal conflicts), or relationship problems (you can invent a breakup story, there's absolutely no way they can verify it). Say that whichever scapegoat you've chosen is occupying your mind to the point where you ruminate incessantly when trying to sleep, and emphasise that it's been several nights since you've had any sleep at all.

Most doctors faced with this will script you either Ambien (zolpidem, a fairly typical sleep aid nowadays, although I'd suggest asking for the higher of the two usual starting doses) or Seroquel (quetiapine, an antipsychotic, efficient sleep aid, and probably one of the drugs that's most likely to help you with your current problems, although for some reason certain doctors are fairly averse to prescibing it).

EDIT: And don't bother asking for or even mentioning benzos to any doctor. They have such a universally notorious reputation for abuse that besides you having virtually no chance of obtaining a script for them, there's a good chance that just having asked is enough to make some doctors label you as a potential substance abuser. They aren't even particularly effective sleeping aids, and I've tried a number of them (although admittedly I've never had the opportunity to try some the more infamously strong ones, such as Mogadon, Halcion or Rohypnol).

Last edited: