• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Psychopathy - our responsibility?

But the reason we have the system that we do is that nobody comes up with better answers. Prison of course is the first answer, but what to do with them afterwards? Is there a hope in rehabilitation? Is it psychiatric, psychotherapeutic, spiritual? All of the above are important. But as a society we have to figure out how we can try to rehabilitate the most people, some of whom don't want to be rehabilitated or don't see anything wrong with themselves, these are often the real sociopaths, who can play the system very well and affect the appearance of rehabilitation only to get out and start offending again.

Thanks for your post, I found it really informative. :)

What prompted my question about indigenous societies is that there is the concept of restorative justice. Not sure if you've heard of it. In one version, the community does a round-house where the perp is called before the community to answer for their crime, not with punitive measures per se but through reflection on how everyone who knows them has been affected by their crimes. The victim gets to speak. Then the perp gets to speak. Through communal reconciliation, which includes input from the perp, and weighing the value of the perp's potential, an appropriate punishment is decided. Everyone is present, from elders, to teenagers, to children.

I'm just really curious what the concept of "psychopathy" might look like in other civilizations and how they dealt with it. I mean, there are always the irreparable who get executed or exiled, but I'm trying to look beyond that.

EDIT: I'm also wondering how we would distinguish a Machiavellian leader doing objectively evil things as as a product of their obligation vs. one that is psycho and using excessive violence. We could look at people like Genghis Khan, or Hitler, both of whom had huge ground level support, and their ideology seemed defensible to some, but now history regards them as pretty psycho. Do we just look at their personal lives? Hitler had a pretty normal personal life, well adjusted with his wife, homes in the countryside, etc. I'm just stirring the pot here because I find this fascinating.

Last edited:
Hitlers notion of a thousand year Aryan Reich was grandiose, to say the least. I don't think, for example, the final solution was a Machiavellian product of obligation. If there were an actual, real threat - suppose jews, gypsies and homosexuals had their own country and they were attacking Germany with force - then the holocaust may have had a smaller degree more legitimacy, all though of course it's still ridiculous and immoral to think there's any good or rationalization for wiping out an entire people, culture, or race. Genghis I don't know so much about.

An objectively evil product of obligation might include the mandate for torture for the attainment of information regarding citizens whereabouts or well-being or release...another might be the forceful take over of resources to feed, house and clothe ones citizens...i'm just throwing these out there. A leader has to do what it takes to make sure those in his/her tribe/nation/colony survive, ultimately.

A psycho who likes violence, would probably be someone like Hitler, who used junk science and propaganda to justify the slaughter of people for no real benefit.

Last edited:
^^ Agreed regarding Hitler. I think that sometimes in leadership in this world, people have to make hard decisions that could be easily viewed as evil. The use of torture to extract information in war, which may end up saving the lives of countless people but requires a vicious act, is a great example. If you're on the power stage of affecting the fate of a country full of people, particularly during war times, I imagine that sometimes any course of action is going to cause harm to some people. But contrast that with someone like Hitler who went above and beyond necessary harm by any rational person's measure (in my view anyway).

Regarding Hitler.. say he was successful and transformed the world to conform to his vision, and that this vision actually turned out to be pretty damn good.. what then? If we were to examine him then would we still hold the same judgement? Many died, but a world was born where suffering etc was orders of magnitude lower. Setting aside for a second questions on what this world of his would have really been like.. the point is, if he had succeeded and we looked at him from a third person perspective (not someone inside the system, who is biased) would we still hold him to be as malicious as we judge him? What if he was right and he saw a vision and took us there and it was good?

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.". That's a nice quote which kind of fits the point I'm trying to get at.

I still think a lot of psychology is just about labeling for the convenience of the moment and to keep the system going. We have people dictating what is disordered thinking and all these conditions when the psychologists don't even really understand themselves.

Yes, I suppose because theoretically history is written by the victors, over enough time and generations, the evil acts he did to take us to this better place would indeed be overlooked and perhaps even forgotten.

Regarding Hitler.. say he was successful and transformed the world to conform to his vision, and that this vision actually turned out to be pretty damn good.. what then? If we were to examine him then would we still hold the same judgement? Many died, but a world was born where suffering etc was orders of magnitude lower. Setting aside for a second questions on what this world of his would have really been like.. the point is, if he had succeeded and we looked at him from a third person perspective (not someone inside the system, who is biased) would we still hold him to be as malicious as we judge him? What if he was right and he saw a vision and took us there and it was good?

These hypothetical questions don't matter. Humans generally don't tolerate outright psychos like Hitler or Stalin. They're always a temporary feature in history. Even in pre-modern times, the dynasties of rule which lasted the longest were the ones with the most even handed rule, and who provided materially for their people. Hitler rose to power because he provided... he spat in the face of the European powers and the Treaty of Versaille and brought Germany out of a hyperinflated economy. He used a benevolent, powerful face to get the vote, then the mask came off. You think even all Germans supported the Third Reich? Hitler would have had to enslave or kill most of the human race to "succeed" and by then whether or not his grand plan was a good thing would be a moot point because there'd be no opposition left.

Yes, there is a "systems" element to modern psychology that's insidious. It has a dark side. But we have no other method available for dealing with the dangerous element. It's either kill them, lock them away forever, or try to reintegrate them into society somehow. Those are really the only options. Prior to modern psychology we just executed them, along with anyone we would now consider to be a mental health patient. That, or people would do exorcisms and all kinds of crap on them. Psychology isn't perfect but it's a step up, trust me.

FWIW I've seen psychological problems resolved with other systems of medicine, but I've also seen them do absolutely nothing.

These hypothetical questions don't matter. Humans generally don't tolerate outright psychos like Hitler or Stalin. They're always a temporary feature in history. Even in pre-modern times, the dynasties of rule which lasted the longest were the ones with the most even handed rule, and who provided materially for their people. Hitler rose to power because he provided... he spat in the face of the European powers and the Treaty of Versaille and brought Germany out of a hyperinflated economy. He used a benevolent, powerful face to get the vote, then the mask came off. You think even all Germans supported the Third Reich? Hitler would have had to enslave or kill most of the human race to "succeed" and by then whether or not his grand plan was a good thing would be a moot point because there'd be no opposition left.

His methods were overt, but is he really any different to any other leader in history or at present? Nations still exist by taking a chunk out of someone else.. a classic example being all our consumer goods that come from China. How many people have died directly, indirectly or are suffering through the manufacturing process that allows us to have what we have? Sure we're not directly sanctioning the death and suffering using a flimsy pretext but you have to be ignorant to not understand how things work these days. We're still killing each other. What's the difference? As far as I can see none, just differing degrees of covertness about the psychopathy.. but I know as soon as that position is taken it becomes easy to say "Well, Hitler was a nasty man who believed in nonsense.. our leaders are just making tough decisions.".

We like to moan about our leaders and how we live, but how many actually change their way of being to circumvent the psychopathy? Not many. It just shows what a flimsy concept psychopathy is and how it shifts to suit the mood of the era. Such a transitory concept with no hard reference point is a subjective concept in my opinion.

Yes, there is a "systems" element to modern psychology that's insidious. It has a dark side. But we have no other method available for dealing with the dangerous element. It's either kill them, lock them away forever, or try to reintegrate them into society somehow. Those are really the only options. Prior to modern psychology we just executed them, along with anyone we would now consider to be a mental health patient. That, or people would do exorcisms and all kinds of crap on them. Psychology isn't perfect but it's a step up, trust me.

I would say its a sideways step, not a step up. Again its more about shifting concepts, definitions and practices.. the understanding of the mind yesterday was both as equally valid and absurd as the understanding modern psychology puts forward today. We still have not actually defined our reference point. An attempt has been made to posit that the mind is the brain, confined to the inside of our skulls, and that a lot of hocus pocus of the past does not exist.. but nothing has actually been proven in either of those arenas.. it has just been assumed for the sake of attempting to make a reference point.

We may not be executing people for having minor mental health conditions, but we've exchanged that for manufacturing a lot more mental illness through excessive diagnosis and weak guidance for people, who a lot of the time just need a hug and a push in the right direction. We've exchanged the chopping block for group therapy, medication, and other systems that are still really flimsy.. the sheer volume of people who go through these systems allows us to say it works x% of the time and therefore is effective when in reality we don't have the slightest clue what the fuck we're doing. How can we when we don't have a defined reference point? We have also exchanged the 'possessed' or witches of the past, for psychopaths, sociopaths and other assorted labels of the modern era.. we still have our hated, despised and feared segment of the population. So what's new? We've just shifted around the wording and processing a bit.. but we still don't actually have a solid reference point/we're shooting in the dark.

Coming back to the original question, I don't think our society would function without psychopathy, because to me the concept itself is half defined in the first place.. what one person defines as psychopathy I may define simply as someone who had the drive and motivation to make something happen. The actions may have been questionable, but shit got done. Keeping all the engines of nations, economies and all the rest chugging along requires the ability of drive and determination without having a moral conniption fit over how many people may get hurt or killed as you engage your objective. On a more personal level.. remove psychopathy and the system would collapse from that angle too.. our entire mode of life is based around lying, lying to ourselves and to other people, on a daily basis.

I really object to the term psychopathy.. people do some dark stuff I'll grant you that, but it just appears to me to be a label of convenience. To try and institute laws against people who we deem to be disagreeable in terms of thought process, before we even have a reference point defined on what sanity actually is.. well that to me is no different that Hitler and his methods. You might not be killing anyone, but you're still casting judgement over people before actually knowing the truth. That is a dangerous road to go down.

Found this from an article:

So who are psychopaths? Broadly speaking, they are people who use manipulation, violence and intimidation to control others and satisfy selfish needs. They can be intelligent and highly charismatic, but display a chronic inability to feel guilt, remorse or anxiety about any of their actions.

Sounds like every 5 year old to me..

Last edited:
His methods were overt, but is he really any different to any other leader in history or at present? Nations still exist by taking a chunk out of someone else.. a classic example being all our consumer goods that come from China. How many people have died directly, indirectly or are suffering through the manufacturing process that allows us to have what we have? Sure we're not directly sanctioning the death and suffering using a flimsy pretext but you have to be ignorant to not understand how things work these days. We're still killing each other. What's the difference? As far as I can see none, just differing degrees of covertness about the psychopathy.. but I know as soon as that position is taken it becomes easy to say "Well, Hitler was a nasty man who believed in nonsense.. our leaders are just making tough decisions.".

Well it's all relative. Historical evidence shows that Europe didn't care too much about the reports of what was happening to the Jews at any stage of the War, until it became a pretext to bomb Berlin and launch the full invasion of Germany. Then people cared as part of manufacturing consent, and also because the very real possibility existed that Hitler would deem them a lesser species and they'd end up being exterminated. If you ask me, Hitler was just the extreme version of the Social Darwinism that was already happening in most of Europe for the better part of the previous century, he was just the natural conclusion of that philosophy which we now deem unPC to talk about but is still a social force to this day. If anything it shows that people will care about the human element if it ends up being discussed in a wider context, otherwise it will be a footnote or something overlooked, vis a vis China. I find the whole Nazi/Jew thing overdone now. The European Court recently found a 100 year old SS person guilty of giving support at the camps, and everyone gave themselves a good self-righteous pat on the back... I find the whole thing laughable because governments are doing stuff now way worse than that on a global scale, but it makes for a nice bait and switch I guess. The line between civilization and barbarity is a fine one... perhaps one that doesn't exist at all.

About China... having lived there and studied its politics for years, I can tell you that most of its society welcomes it. Despite what the western media would have us believe, the Chinese people are perfectly capable of overthrowing their government at any time. The Communist Party are just the new emperors, and like any emperor they will be destroyed if they don't provide. Part of Mao's rise to power was a national distaste for why China had fallen behind, become so backward (in their words), and so poor. People there are enjoying the status quo that capitalism has brought them. There's little reform coming from the inside, in terms of better conditions for the rural people, or those working in factories. Their society is just as selfish as ours, if not more so because beyond people's families no one gives a shit about one another -- no really, the concept of social agency is bunk there. Everything defers to the family. If your family isn't helping you then you're SOL because no one else will. It's all about family duty. They don't give two shits about anyone else, when it comes down to it.

As for us benefiting from it... that's just colonialism, which is indeed psycho. Always has been. What I feel you are trying to describe but are vaguely pinpointing is that nature itself has a psycho element. I see that you are pointing out a hypocrisy, but what I can't tell is if you're arguing for more humanism, or arguing for us to just admit our true nature already. On a systems level, I think humans are totally psycho. The system is violent. Wars are always fought over resources, markets, etc... but now we package them in false pretenses to act like we're not trying to provide for the tribe. But what should we do with this information? If we're all indeed a bit psycho, then what? I doubt it changes much.

IMO our primary relationship, which is to that of nature, has to change. If humanity, as a whole, is psycho, then psychos only respond to their well-being being threatened. That means our collective behavior won't change until the destruction of nature threatens us in a very real way, which it's beginning to do. Beyond that, I don't think anything will change the cycle. Science and technology have provided some hopes but in other ways they have only further enabled the behavior. Maybe we're just fucked.

We like to moan about our leaders and how we live, but how many actually change their way of being to circumvent the psychopathy? Not many.

Not many can. The government generally forces people to participate. There are some people living off the grid but they do so are the leisure of the government, who could make a law anytime saying that it's illegal for them to live a detached lifestyle.

It just shows what a flimsy concept psychopathy is and how it shifts to suit the mood of the era. Such a transitory concept with no hard reference point is a subjective concept in my opinion.

Well psychopathy isn't even a DSM term, so you'll have to refer to something more specific in your critique.

I would say its a sideways step, not a step up. Again its more about shifting concepts, definitions and practices.. the understanding of the mind yesterday was both as equally valid and absurd as the understanding modern psychology puts forward today. We still have not actually defined our reference point. An attempt has been made to posit that the mind is the brain, confined to the inside of our skulls, and that a lot of hocus pocus of the past does not exist.. but nothing has actually been proven in either of those arenas.. it has just been assumed for the sake of attempting to make a reference point.

It's my understanding that the reference point is functionality and how well we can get on with others, or understand society as is. As most people with mental health issues or developmental disabilities will tell you, normalcy is a narrow margin. And as most clinical psychologists will tell you, the system is far from perfect, but it's all we've got. Do you have a proposed alternative?

Going back to China for a sec... their culture does not believe in psychology or psychiatry. It's a very new thing there. When someone has a mental health issue the general disposition of the public is that the person should just get a grip and deal with their problems, or it becomes a private family matter. China's interesting like that. That same mechanism made Christianity an abysmal failure there during the colonial period. But on the flipside, traditional practitioners dealt with mental illness, called by other names.

I used to live in an apartment there and in the building across the street from me there would be a woman screaming to her self all day and night at someone who wasn't there. Eventually the cops got called and they took her away, but they didn't take her to a mental hospital, they took her to her parent's place and then gave her apartment to someone else (they can do this in China). Who knows what happened to her after that, she was obviously schizophrenic. People would gather in adjacent apartments to just watch her (kan re nao, a phenomenon in China where people enjoy staring but won't help, ever), some with amusement. Can't lie, I was one of them. In China they call people like her shenzhenbing, someone who is troubled but it's synonymous with someone who makes trouble / a troublemaker. They see people there who are crazy as simply acting out, like they should just get a grip already. In North America such a person would be carted away a.s.a.p, and she eventually was but it took months. The most horrifying factor for me was eventually learning that there had been a 5 year old living with her the entire time and he would just go sit in the stairwell when his mother had one of her fits. She would toss things out the window at invisible specters. One time she tossed a pot of boiling water out the window narrowly missing people on the street.

Diagnosis aside, should she just be left there to scream into the night, in terror and in suffering? Who should be responsible for it, if anyone? I'm sure there are millions of people like her around in that country. I'm just saying, it becomes a social burden eventually, even in a country like that where there is less social empathy beyond the family. Even in a place like that, eventually they came and took her. Eventually.

Coming back to the original question, I don't think our society would function without psychopathy, because to me the concept itself is half defined in the first place.. what one person defines as psychopathy I may define simply as someone who had the drive and motivation to make something happen. The actions may have been questionable, but shit got done. Keeping all the engines of nations, economies and all the rest chugging along requires the ability of drive and determination without having a moral conniption fit over how many people may get hurt or killed as you engage your objective. On a more personal level.. remove psychopathy and the system would collapse from that angle too.. our entire mode of life is based around lying, lying to ourselves and to other people, on a daily basis.

Well there's the Machiavellian side to the system and to government. But that's not psychopathy. Neither is lying to ourselves and others.

I really object to the term psychopathy.. people do some dark stuff I'll grant you that, but it just appears to me to be a label of convenience. To try and institute laws against people who we deem to be disagreeable in terms of thought process, before we even have a reference point defined on what sanity actually is.. well that to me is no different that Hitler and his methods. You might not be killing anyone, but you're still casting judgement over people before actually knowing the truth. That is a dangerous road to go down.

Psychopathy isn't a DSM term though, it's a social one, and fraught with problems in what it implies -- as you have already elaborated.

Sounds like every 5 year old to me..

Try living with a borderline person or one who has anti-social personality disorder and you'll quickly realize you're not dealing with a 5 year old.

The labels aren't perfect, they are a subjective spectrum, but they have their uses. You're also overlooking that for some people, the diagnoses really helps them. They have suffered for years under the mistaken conclusion that they are completely alone and so abnormal that nobody can help them. The diagnosis can be instructive, even if the body of knowledge relating to it is subjective or incomplete.

I think we should ask the deeper question that you've been dancing around: if we lived in a more benevolent, compassionate, well-adjusted and empathetic society, would we have fever psychopaths?

Last edited:
Hitler was different from many other world leaders because most world leaders don't commit mass genocide. Plenty of them do and they're in the same boat, though Hitler happened to be the most powerful on a world scale in recent history. I mean our leaders in the US are fucked up and cause pain and suffering and death, but it's not at the same level.

And I was trying to paint a hypothetical picture in my description anyway, and used Hitler as an example of the converse. I think anyone in a world leader position is going to have to end up deciding who to harm, but in some cases it could be a decision made with the minimum suffering in mind, ie, kill these 100 people or they'll kill tens of thousands. Invade this country who is innocent of anything or someone else will, gain more power, and cause much greater harm. Stuff like that. To try to suggest that Hitler's plan to enslave and eradicate the non-aryan race would result in a better world, with less pain and suffering, is ludicrous IMO. It's also the very definition of racist, because to think it would really work, you'd have to think the aryan race is superior and thus the resulting society would be better with no other type of humans present.

Foreigner said:
Try living with a borderline person or one who has anti-social personality disorder and you'll quickly realize you're not dealing with a 5 year old.

Indeed. My ex-wife is borderline. I lived with her for 12 years, and it was, in retrospect, quite horrible. I sometimes felt like she was a child in the way she conceptualized the world but she certain;y was not a child. Just an extremely difficult person who was not functioning very well in life.

Last edited:
I agree with you Xorkoth. I think that all though psychology is an imperfect and often highly debatable field, certain human traits (or lack thereof - for example empathy) are consistent throughout history. The desire to do harm and garner power from doing so is just human nature - obviously it exists to differing degrees in different human beings.

Also my first girlfriend and love was borderline, too. She was difficult indeed, and at times, it definitely seemed like she was little more than a child zipped up in an adults body suit.

Last edited: