• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Psychopathy - our responsibility?

infectedmushroom

Bluelighter
What kind of responsibility do we have toward psychopaths, sociopaths, and malignant narcissists - those of whom it could be said feel no responsibility to any one else besides themselves? Is it immoral and unethical to treat such people differently from everyone else on the grounds of a personality which may not be their fault? Do we need to make an exception to protect ourselves and society, even if it is immoral? Are there benefits to such people existing in our midst and do these benefits offset the negatives sufficiently? Can a case be made to rationalize the utility of psychopathy?

I personally swing between quite extreme poles on this - from hardcore, fascistic "expose, shame, castrate and banish them all" attitudes to "it's up to the individual and society to learn how to spot them and take the appropriate personal and collective measures to protect oneself/us from them - they're still human, after all." I have personal experience with such people so i'm quite familiar with how they think and behave.

Last edited:
My day job involves a certain amount of interaction with this population. Ideally, I'd like to see them all institutionalized. For political and economics reasons this isn't quite practicable. So we have to set forth some kind of monitoring in the community to prevent them from doing harm. The sex offender registries coupled with coercive involuntary outpatient psychiatric treatment, while imperfect, may provide a model. But by all models and statistics these people are likely to reoffend. This is a good reason to monitor them. However of course in our criminal justice system we cannot incarcerate people based on risk alone (except for certain sex offender "treatment" programs often run by State offices of mental health &c.) but we should definitely be aware of risk factors in individuals and even if it sounds Orwellian to monitor them closely and assemble them amongst the "usual suspects" should any kind of thing occur that relates to their M.O.

I've met a couple people I would call psychopathic/sociopathic/malignant narcissists/evil

They've ranged from generally unpleasant to wishing they were just dead. The worst of them I've looked up from time to time, to find out if they've been arrested and gone to jail yet for their crimes. One in particular disappeared long ago, I kinda hope one of their other victims killed them. I know I fantasized about it a lot.

Some people like that probably do have a place in the world, one far away from people like us, either alone or with other people like them. The others, well, there's a reason I used to believe in the death penalty.

I couldn't give less of a fuck that they can't help the way they are. That's valid reason not to punish for the purposes of justice, they still need to be kept away from everyone else.

What kind of responsibility do we have toward psychopaths, sociopaths, and malignant narcissists - those of whom it could be said feel no responsibility to any one else besides themselves? Is it immoral and unethical to treat such people differently from everyone else on the grounds of a personality which may not be their fault? Do we need to make an exception to protect ourselves and society, even if it is immoral? Are there benefits to such people existing in our midst and do these benefits offset the negatives sufficiently? Can a case be made to rationalize the utility of psychopathy?

I personally swing between quite extreme poles on this - from hardcore, fascistic "expose, shame, castrate and banish them all" attitudes to "it's up to the individual and society to learn how to spot them and take the appropriate personal and collective measures to protect oneself/us from them - they're still human, after all." I have personal experience with such people so i'm quite familiar with how they think and behave.

When they are born into the upper caste, those sociopaths/psychopaths/malignant narcissists often become the world's leaders. They are often the heads of countries and are corporate CEOs. There was even a Wall Street Journal article about this a couple of years ago. Part of their evil nature makes them want to control others using any means including those that kind and empathic people would never dream of using.

That's a brilliant question. Most countries seem to keep them in special places. In England I think they call them the House of Commons.

If it is people like that then I would say speed bumps!

Just want to say sorry I needed to vent my 'humour' spleen but this is a very good question and as socko says if they are born into the right caste then all is good - for them! I do remember reading that psychopaths tend to gravitate towards professions where they can control - education, politics, policing, etc. We then pay them to keep us under their controls!

Psychology, as a science, is pretty flimsy.. if you can even call it a science. Given that no one can actually define what "normal" is or what "sanity" is I can not agree with the notion that we should monitor or enforce something against people who we label with conditions, conditions that are loosely defined despite the fact that we can see something disagreeable with certain individuals. Opening up that can of worms would be a slippery slope to say the least.

Are there benefits to such people existing in our midst and do these benefits offset the negatives sufficiently?

I was actually thinking about this quite a bit after recently seeing the documentary about Steve Jobs called Jobs (not to be confused by the film Steve Jobs which is just opening now). The film shows the extent of his narcissism and all the harm it caused to people in his life from his children to his employees and "friends". What made him so powerful and his products so successful was his single-minded obsession with those products. He ruined careers, the health (mental and physical due to stress) of many of his employees and damaged many of the people closest to him. I wonder how often one of these charismatic and driven CEOs has sociopathic or narcissistic traits that make the business wildly successful while destroying the lives of untold people along the way.

I was actually thinking about this quite a bit after recently seeing the documentary about Steve Jobs called Jobs (not to be confused by the film Steve Jobs which is just opening now). The film shows the extent of his narcissism and all the harm it caused to people in his life from his children to his employees and "friends". What made him so powerful and his products so successful was his single-minded obsession with those products. He ruined careers, the health (mental and physical due to stress) of many of his employees and damaged many of the people closest to him. I wonder how often one of these charismatic and driven CEOs has sociopathic or narcissistic traits that make the business wildly successful while destroying the lives of untold people along the way.

I suppose it's almost karma then that he died early because he thought he knew better about medicine than his western doctors.

Psychology, as a science, is pretty flimsy.. if you can even call it a science. Given that no one can actually define what "normal" is or what "sanity" is I can not agree with the notion that we should monitor or enforce something against people who we label with conditions, conditions that are loosely defined despite the fact that we can see something disagreeable with certain individuals. Opening up that can of worms would be a slippery slope to say the least.

This is already happening with sex offenders and also to a lesser extent to various other offenders with psychiatric diagnoses, who, even after expiration of their maximum prison sentence, are transferred to psychiatric facilities for indefinite periods of time.

Steve Jobs

Was a legitimately terrible human being, probably a true sociopath/malignant narcissist but he is idolized by ignorant hipsters. I found it hilarious but kind of unsettling that when the news of his death spread, the Occupy Wall Street crowd held some sort of vigil. Can you imagine? That movement never really had a whit of credibility to me but if it did that would have been when it was lost.

This is already happening with sex offenders and also to a lesser extent to various other offenders with psychiatric diagnoses, who, even after expiration of their maximum prison sentence, are transferred to psychiatric facilities for indefinite periods of time.

I was under the impression we were talking about people who have a personality disorder, which I am still dubious about to be honest (not saying there isn't anything wrong with these people, just that psychology itself is a bit weak).. people who have yet to offend. Correct? I could understand some kind of examination or process once a person is an offender, but if we're talking about people who have yet to commit an offense.. that kind of goes against innocent until proven guilty.. and given psychology isn't a hard science I can see a conflict of compatibility here.

Was a legitimately terrible human being, probably a true sociopath/malignant narcissist but he is idolized by ignorant hipsters.

Seen the size of the $100 million yacht he was having built for himself? No one is interesting enough to warrant something so offensively ridiculous. I like to think he died due to immense psychic pressure from all the young children and workers who suffer/ed and died to produce his shitty overpriced products.

I was under the impression we were talking about people who have a personality disorder, which I am still dubious about to be honest (not saying there isn't anything wrong with these people, just that psychology itself is a bit weak).. people who have yet to offend. Correct? I could understand some kind of examination or process once a person is an offender, but if we're talking about people who have yet to commit an offense.. that kind of goes against innocent until proven guilty.. and given psychology isn't a hard science I can see a conflict of compatibility here.

Well, if psychology (and psychiatry) isn't hard science, then what is it doing adjudicating these people's sentences after the criminal legal system is done with them? What about NGRI sentences? What should be done with those people? I'm playing devils advocate here BTW - this happens to be how I make my living.

Well, if psychology (and psychiatry) isn't hard science, then what is it doing adjudicating these people's sentences after the criminal legal system is done with them? What about NGRI sentences? What should be done with those people? I'm playing devils advocate here BTW - this happens to be how I make my living.

It's a good question to ask. All I can say is for me personally I would not be able to cast judgement on someones sanity or insanity given that I can not actually see it or examine it. If someone has demonstrably killed a person or some other horrific crime, proven beyond doubt, then that stands on its own.. it is self evident. But in order to classify someone as insane we have to first know what sane is.. and the jury is still out on that one!

Personality Disorders are the psychiatric version of going to a Dr with aches and pains and fever and being told its a virus insomuch as we know something is wrong but not sure what label to put on it/you.

The difficulty with these labels is that they have often been used on political dissenters as a means of quieting/disappearing them. It is very useful to have a bunch of poor sociopaths to pick from when the rich sociopaths decide to create a war!

When they are born into the upper caste, those sociopaths/psychopaths/malignant narcissists often become the world's leaders. They are often the heads of countries and are corporate CEOs. There was even a Wall Street Journal article about this a couple of years ago. Part of their evil nature makes them want to control others using any means including those that kind and empathic people would never dream of using.

Indeed. Low "caste" sociopaths/psychopaths are feared and despised, and high "caste" ones are often among the most successful. In my mind you'd have to be a sociopath to run a typical corporation in this day and age.

Indeed. Low "caste" sociopaths/psychopaths are feared and despised, and high "caste" ones are often among the most successful. In my mind you'd have to be a sociopath to run a typical corporation in this day and age.

You don't have to be mad to work here........!

A lot of modern armchair students of psychology throw around these terms but they have a very specific range of application. Narcissism on a sociopathic level means you are so into yourself, your goals, your ambitions, that you don't care if you're hurting people around you to get what you want. And in fact you hurt people in order to get validation.

I don't think we can rely on psychology to form law but it's definitely a useful guideline, kind of like polygraph tests. The reason why psychology isn't terribly effective is because it's predicated upon baseline societal norms as being true. Conditions become pathologized when it affects a person's function within the status quo, and that's really the only frame of reference that it has for singling out people as being diseased. Having dealt with sociopathic narcissists and psychopaths in my life, I can safely say they are a real phenomenon, but people in the mainstream abuse these terms. They call every day selfish people narcissists, or when someone doesn't want to hear another person's side of the story (like fighting in relationships). Can't count the number of times I've heard people get out of a bad relationship and call their partner a psycho, or a narcissist, when it wasn't true. They were just an asshole.

Sociopathic narcissists specifically target empaths because they want the attention and the energy, and compassionate people will always provide it while apologizing for bad behavior. They reel people in with charm, use them to feel better about themselves, and transfer their baggage to the victim through guilt, shaming, and gaslighting (which is a method of making the victim doubt their own memories and perceptions of what happened). Their empathy index is low and it's always about them, whether good or bad. They also might not know that they're doing it, which makes it hard to detect. They can also be very dangerous. It becomes an, "I hate you, don't leave me", kind of situation.

I'd be interested to find out how traditional societies dealt with what we would call psychos. If I was in a society that was at war with another society, I might want a psycho on my side. I guess what I'm getting at is, in nature, such people would probably be strong survivors, otherwise these traits would not have survived evolution. To be unemotional, unempathizing, and ruthless even to the point of taking pleasure in it... that's pretty hardcore. It's my understanding though that a lot of these social pathologies develop in adolescence or adulthood, they're not genetically linked per se. So it might be a symptom of a shitty society, and not the cause of it... which means, yeah, we are collectively responsible.

Most artists and highly creative people are narcissists. I've dated and been friends with enough to know. You kind of have to be if you want your vision to succeed as an artist. Almost all artists I've met are also perfectionists. They'll chose their work over partners, health, better jobs, money, etc. Our society also rewards narcissism because it fuels consumer capitalism. If you're not thinking about how you look or your self-concept all the time then it affects the way you can participate. I mean, look at Facebook. heh

Having worked in the corporate world and mingled with many execs and seen so many fucking slimy behaviors, it's my firm opinion that you have to be at least partly sociopathic to do what most of these companies are doing. People with strong empathy don't last long in the corporate world beyond lower rung positions, IMO.

^What separates you from an armchair psychologist (a degree, work experience?)

Also, if we can recognize that psychopaths often find their way into high positions, how (or should we try) changing it? Is there a part of us which might even desire such people to be our leaders despite the damage they cause? Is it because empaths are to "nice" to get angry enough, or perhaps enough people are fooled and docile enough that they just aren't aware?

Foreigner is pretty much spot on TBH and yes and I have a degree and work experience. Although there is some confusion on the personality disorder spectrum which is pretty much part and parcel with the diagnostic category itself. "I hate you, don't leave me", or Stay Far Away/So Close is the cry of the borderline, if from a woman--which is a very problematic diagnosis as it is almost entirely gendered female (there is a lot of critique of this dx from a feminist perspective--but from a man it is the howl of a domestic abuser. So on from there antisocial personality disorder (the closest actual DSM category to psychopath/sociopath) is similarly gendered but in the other direction, to cover overall unpleasantness, defiance, and criminality. I don't know about that, having spent some of my wayward youth in the illicit drug business and other shadiness I can tell you that there were some legit psychopaths in the field but also some surprisingly well adjusted people. But as for the gender issue, I have seen the occasional male borderline who gets a pro forma antisocial PD dx because stereotypes and first impressions. On to other issues schizophrenia also has been far more often with Blacks (and recent immigrants) to a degree that is hard to understand: there is probably a genetic/biological component such as elevated testosterone levels in Blacks, but so too certainly cultural alienation plays a role, especially with immigrant populations, but also historically the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia has been utilized as a tool of repression against Black activists and communities. One could go on, anorexia is pretty much a upper-middle-class and above White culture-bounded syndrome, etc. There's not a lot of universals. Different people could present different ways in different settings. Psychiatric assessment is not, or should not be, about fitting our patients and their characteristics into neat little diagnostic boxes. That shit is only for insurance companies and lazy doctors.

Now, in pop psychology there is a lot about sociopaths and narcissists going around these days and alot of it is crap and talking about stuff that is rather on the normal spectrum of personalities, i.e. the asshole. A true sociopath is categorically different. Since we were speaking of Steve Jobs, he certainly had the Machiavellian side but apparently from his interpersonal interactions he had the charisma/'glib and superficial charm' as it is stated in the DSM ASPD criteria and from afar, and diagnosis of historical or popular figures is a problematic thing, not to mention that sociopathy is not even a diagnosis, but yeah, I'd rate him one, probably. A psychopath is a more extreme version typically associated with criminal/forensic populations, there are rating scales for this, etc. and they involve some really troubling things like torturing animals as a little kid. Keep in mind that neither sociopath nor psychopath is a valid condition under the DSM, we have "antisocial PD," which is not really the same thing. But psychiatry does have rating scales and assessments for psychopathy which will play a role in the outcomes of psychiatrically incarcerated persons in a forensic context committed for "ongoing treatment" after prison. But the truth is that yes, this is taking clinical work into a somewhat more subjective area of morality. This is for all the Szaszian reasons troubling but as far as my own experience working with this population rather intimately, a necessity given that we don't really have anything better to do with this population.

Foreigner said:
I'd be interested to find out how traditional societies dealt with what we would call psychos. If I was in a society that was at war with another society, I might want a psycho on my side. I guess what I'm getting at is, in nature, such people would probably be strong survivors, otherwise these traits would not have survived evolution. To be unemotional, unempathizing, and ruthless even to the point of taking pleasure in it... that's pretty hardcore

Definitely. Violent men are and have been integral to the making of history and many of our great military, political, and even religious leaders especially in ages past might be considered sociopathic to a degree, or rather, had priorities at their level that are not the same as our ordinary interpersonal values. This is more Machiavellian than sociopathic, i.e. Machiavelli's distinciton between private morality and the obligations of the prince to protect his state, even by doing objectively evil acts. The same might be said for CEOs, etc. The sociopathy may not manifest itself in the person's ordinary interpersonal life but in the professional life. These are definitely the people who I would want to be with in a foxhole, to advise a political campaign, to plan an invasion, to traffic drugs, or whatever.

That's why the utility of clinical labels on stuff like this is limited. I'm of the opinion that labels are of at best secondary use in psychiatry anyway, psychopathology always exists on a continuum, and the psychiatric/biomedical/biopsychosocial model often winds up being about doing what works empirically. When faced with psychopathic, pedophilic, or dangerous forensic individuals, then our task is a little bit different (see: the lack of confidentiality in an NGRI assessment), more carceral (not just brief psychiatric holds on physician assessment but holds for many years until non-dangerousness can be proved which can come uncomfortably close to inverting 'innocent until proven guilty'), it is about containment and yes, this is a blurry line to the clinician and the Hippocratic primum ... all of these are difficult questions. But the reason we have the system that we do is that nobody comes up with better answers. Prison of course is the first answer, but what to do with them afterwards? Is there a hope in rehabilitation? Is it psychiatric, psychotherapeutic, spiritual? All of the above are important. But as a society we have to figure out how we can try to rehabilitate the most people, some of whom don't want to be rehabilitated or don't see anything wrong with themselves, these are often the real sociopaths, who can play the system very well and affect the appearance of rehabilitation only to get out and start offending again.

Last edited:
^What separates you from an armchair psychologist (a degree, work experience?)

Also, if we can recognize that psychopaths often find their way into high positions, how (or should we try) changing it? Is there a part of us which might even desire such people to be our leaders despite the damage they cause? Is it because empaths are to "nice" to get angry enough, or perhaps enough people are fooled and docile enough that they just aren't aware?
By definition, they are more manipulative, scheming, backstabbing, lying, and ambitious/greedy for power over others. They think of themselves and are pushy and selfish. When questioned are challenged, they are like viscous animals. Nice people simply get pushed aside when it comes to finding high positions.