• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Psychological addiction

KittyKet

Greenlighter
Hello there. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Bit of an introduction: I've discovered drugs 10 years ago and since then I always liked being high, I have an addictive personality, little self control and a predisposition to feel shitty in general. So the perfect recipe for disaster was always there. But despite having drugs regularly, like at least once a month in my most chill periods, I didn't develop any addictions (except for a couple of months of a mental, psychotic mephedrone addiction back in highschool).

So, let's cut to chase. Adulthood and responsibility arrived and I felt shittier then ever until I discovered ketamine. Everything started about a year ago. I was occasionally having fun with this drug and this fun soon became a daily habit up to a point where a day without it would be something to celebrate myself for. The tolerance became so high that sometimes I would need to snort 2 milligrams and barely feel something.

Now, couple of days have passed and I haven't touched a bit. I know I won't ever become abstinent, but I want to do everything with moderation. The point is I just don't know how to it. It's hard af, psychologically speaking. These last days I've been sleepless and depressive. I feel as if I have a shitty comedown from amphetamines.
I remember that at the beginning, when I was doing it occasionally, I noticed how good I felt even 2 or 3 days after. It made me happier and I was feeling happier even 3 days after not touching it. After that I read about it, so from what I understood ketamine is a good antidepressant. But I guess that like every antidepressant, the more you abuse it, the more depressed you'll became when you don't.
And anyways even when taking it daily, it started to make rather angry. I have these anger bursts that I've never had before (I'm a chill person). I also have these paranoish thoughts about how everybody will leave me.

My question would be, how do you guys or how do people you know deal with this psychological addiction?

The most annoying part of all this is not even the insomnia, it's just the way I'm constantly thinking about it. I do it like non stop. It's always in the back of my head. Sometimes, while at my job, I realize I'm not even concentrating on what I'm doing and I'm thinking about it. I just think at the next time I will allow myself to have some, or at how much money I will be able to spend on it, or any insignificant shit related to it. When I'm not thinking about it it's even worse. I'm just thinking at how lonely I am, at how I'm not doing well at my job, at how ugly I feel or whatever, it's all just negative shit. It makes me depressed af and when thinking about ketamine I actually find myself smiling like some dumb shit.

How should I become like I was before? I mean, still with negative thoughts and stuff (like every human on earth), but just better overall, still able to find that joy in regular things, still able to think about other stuff or simply still able to go out for a drink (just a drink).

Hope this is readable and not too pathetic.

Have a nice weekend ! =D

KittyKet, first off, let me welcome you to our little den of iniquity! We are always happy to have fresh blood injected into the forums. I'm sure you don't mind my humor, as your avatar would imply that you too are a fan of advanced wordplay.

First off, let's make one thing abundantly clear: While Ketamine has shown a lot of promise due to its seemingly miraculous and more importantly, instantaneous relief of depression when used in a controlled clinical setting. You will not elicit the same benefits as you would had you done a slow intravenous infusion of the drug at sub/low-psychoactive levels. Apparently, while there is probably still some shred of benefit from recreational usage, the data seems to imply the mechanism is actually quite different. You basically are abusing Ketamine and you're not the first and won't be the last.

Ketamine seems to "click" for certain people in a way that causes them to crave the drug in a similar way to how one does Cocaine, while another portion of users consider their usage to be similar to other psychedelic/dissociative drugs, in that it's a trip and the trip is finite.

I'll be short, because I don't want to bullshit or sugarcoat here. Typically, when someone develops a true compulsion for a drug in the way that you have, the loss of control is permanent. It sucks, but you will be statistically unlikely to ever use this drug in a responsible way again. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it is far from the norm for someone to go from compulsive to responsible usage.

People often relapse not out of sheer desire to repeat the experience, but also because they feel "low" following usage and want to get back up just to feel normal. The first few days after stopping are going to be difficult. Cravings will be more severe. Your emotions will be a little bit skewed, but, if you manage to get over that first hump, it will become successively easier.

You are not pathetic in any way. You're a human being and you're entitled to happiness. It's in our constitution in fact. Sometimes, we pursue happiness in ways that ultimately invite negativity into our lives. Basically, abstinence from Ketamine sounds like a must at this point. I'm sure you could experiment with a more bold maneuver like tapering yourself with small dosages? If you want help with that, send me a note or post back here.

I think that covers it?

Thank you for the unexpectedly nice reply. (love your humor btw)

I think you're right, it's like an alcoholic saying he'll only have a drink, pretty unrealistic. But at this point I'll just keep fooling myself because I'm really not ready quit forever. I can't even imagine a completely sober life for now.
So now, my goal is to do it on 31 and the thought of that day keeps me somewhat motivated to work and you know, just try to live like a decent human being. I can't just imagine going at work knowing that nothing expects me back home. I mean, I imagine I could do it for 5 days, but for life?

Also, another thing that makes me hoping for the best is my mephedrone period I had back in highschool. I managed to quit it (way easier than I manage now) and I still tried it couple of times after without ever relapsing. But then I get realistic and I realize I quit mephedrone because I started to hate it in a way I will never hate ketamine. I had horrible paranoia from sleep deprivation, I had psychotic episodes, hallucinations, and the BMI of an anorexic person. I think I was not very far from death. Ketamine is way milder, it allows you to be functional and it's just so much better than everything else.

The small dosages thing would be a good idea basically, but I would need to buy that small dosage every time, as I couldn't really have enough to know I can get high, but only snort a tiny bit.

I think the most helpful thing would be to solve my issues, but damn, spending 80% of your income on drugs is way easier. As you said, the way some people pursue happiness is fucked up. I always wanted to be happy, but I've always been so bad at becoming happy.

Thanks again !!

I see. So it sounds like you are indeed at the stage where "saving" drugs for later usage is not likely to occur. Are you aware of the correlation between chronic Ketamine abuse and damage to your body's urological systems? If I'm not mistaken, it seems to erode the tissue of the bladder? Here is a nice article from PubMed that lays out the information, but there is a lot of medical jargon, so if you're still not sure what they are trying to imply in the article, we can try to decode it together.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18680495

Aside from this issue, Ketamine would seem to be a drug with a pretty decent safety profile. Where are you located? Is it any possibility whatsoever that you could get involved with a Ketamine Infusion program. They seem to be popping up here in New England all over the place. You say that you're already spending all your dough on drugs anyway, so why not put that money toward a safe and responsible usage of your drug of choice?

This is a completely wild guess, but wouldn't it be something if the slow infusion of Ketamine improved your innate symptomology while also curbing your craving for the drug in the process?