Psychological addiction to cannabis

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I have been having a hard time coming to terms with this and it has been an ongoing problem for years. I know some might feel cannabis is benign and it may be for some people but it is definitely not in my case. I smoked basically everyday for 3-4 years, then was off for a while and started up again casually. I soon noticed that the positive effects, or what I viewed to be positive effects were decreasing and the problematic elements increasing. It is now at a point where if I smoke at all, I have terrible rebound depression/anxiety and magnified OCD like thoughts for days and sometimes even weeks afterwards. This may sound ridiculous but it is the case for me. The disturbing thing is, for the last two years I have come to realize I need to give it up period, but I still find myself at the dispensary just to get “one more joint” which always manifests in a nightmare afterwards. It bothers me how I will chase a high that lasts maybe an hour or two tops to then deal with terrible rebound effects afterwards. I was wondering if anyone could provide some input on how to manage the feeling that creeps in that causes me to relapse. I have been to traditional therapy but it doesn’t help a lot of the time because us usually the therapists don’t have experience with drugs. Any input is appreciated.

Cannabis is certainly addictive to a percentage of the population. Being a long time grower that obviously hung out with like minded people that consumed high levels of product for many years I have been witness to different effects on people.

Cannabis addiction is rather unique and nasty as it’s use is not as enjoyable if you occasionally use. In today’s world the product is just to strong to really be that enjoyable taken occasionally once it’s turned on you.

I also noticed as the addiction progresses those that had both an addiction and access to unlimited concentrate have had the hardest time overcoming it. I used heavily and daily for decades. Now I use a few times a year and have had no trouble stopping use. I’d use more as a treatment for inflammation especially instead of NSAI’s but testing for my current profession prohibits this.

What your describing is the nightmare of addiction. People often think that addiction is the inability to stop doing a pleasurable substance. In reality it’s a strong drive that makes us do a substance that makes us insane and miserable.

You have to attack your addiction just like addicts of other drugs do.

Your already at an important point. You realize that there is nothing but misery left.

Crazy how that’s not enough to stop instantly right. It is a good weapon you can use though in your battle. When you get cravings and fantasy about use being pleasurable remind yourself how it really is.

The nice thing about green is it’s physical withdrawal is pretty minor compared to some other substances, but that means you are up against the real battle right away.

Do you have an idea on how your going to treat this?

Cannabis is certainly addictive to a percentage of the population. Being a long time grower that obviously hung out with like minded people that consumed high levels of product for many years I have been witness to different effects on people.

Cannabis addiction is rather unique and nasty as it’s use is not as enjoyable if you occasionally use. In today’s world the product is just to strong to really be that enjoyable taken occasionally once it’s turned on you.

I also noticed as the addiction progresses those that had both an addiction and access to unlimited concentrate have had the hardest time overcoming it. I used heavily and daily for decades. Now I use a few times a year and have had no trouble stopping use. I’d use more as a treatment for inflammation especially instead of NSAI’s but testing for my current profession prohibits this.

What your describing is the nightmare of addiction. People often think that addiction is the inability to stop doing a pleasurable substance. In reality it’s a strong drive that makes us do a substance that makes us insane and miserable.

You have to attack your addiction just like addicts of other drugs do.

Your already at an important point. You realize that there is nothing but misery left.

Crazy how that’s not enough to stop instantly right. It is a good weapon you can use though in your battle. When you get cravings and fantasy about use being pleasurable remind yourself how it really is.

The nice thing about green is it’s physical withdrawal is pretty minor compared to some other substances, but that means you are up against the real battle right away.

Do you have an idea on how your going to treat this?
Great points. I had access to high quality concentrates for a couple years (lived in Seattle), and this was the start of my deterioration. I was using concentrates pretty much daily and it began to really effect my mental health negatively. Yet I still did it even as I observed myself getting into really bad space.

I then continued to smoke for a while after that, and then quit for awhile like I mentioned. But the worst is that it crept up on me with a vengeance and in the last few weeks I spent a ridiculous amount on freaking prerolls from a gas station. Really just pathetic when I look at it. Every time I’d feel like shit the day afterwards and then I’d say: “well another joint will do the trick,” and this went on and on. It disturbs and pisses me the hell off when I observe how nasty my headspace is afterwards, yet I continue to do it.

Right now the best thing I can do is to simply remove myself from it. I am working on moving out of town and getting somewhere that it’s not readily available. Unfortunately that’s what it comes down to. When I see the damn dispensaries I can’t help but cave in. It is a nightmare.

I wish I had a better idea for exercising self control but I think I really need to distance myself from it as mentioned.

Don't beat yourself up.. throw any guilt and shame out the window as its not warranted and drives use. Love yourself<3

So moving away is traditionally called a regional cure.. the problem lies in wherever we go, there we are. So we can put distance in-between accessibility, but we bring our addiction with us. That and we are damn smart and will find a connect as soon as we try.

Last edited:
I smoke bongs around the clock and have been at with some breaks from age 16-50. At age 30 I started having panic attacks after smoking; but even that did not make me quit! once I start; I can't stop. When I stop; staying stopped lasts a year to longer. Easy as pie; I can never remember why I ever start up again; I just wind up on the couch. WTF
I never have any major withdrawal; but somehow being stoned means it just has to be every hour on the hour. Not with friends, not just for surfing/outdoor pursuits, road trips, etc. Not as a social endeavor, not at a party, just straight fiending like I am using crack or something. Only by myself or one other person; sure, at parties, but what stoner is going to a party if the TV is on?

And worse; after a period of abstinence; tolerance drops; and every time I start up again; I get an insane panic attack. How fun is that? Lol but I eventually succomb; and but three hours later I am compulsively smoking it again. Then I stay on the couch for a year or longer/only go out for food and to the dispo. I have tried to limit my intake; but it never works. Most people just laugh at me when I say I am a pot addict. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in 25 years. Don't use nicotine; do use methadone and benzos though.

Best part; I am off the weed right now; and the 75 bucks a week I spend at the dispensary I spend on gardening and growing regular flowers.
So here's what keeps me off;
more motivation
no more coughing up black shit
good dreams
Mo money to spend on frivolous things; if I can afford a half ounce of pot, I can afford to indulge myself on something better.
So fellow pot addict; it's real as any other addiction; I used to have my wife hide my stash; but I would tear up the house until I found it! Now ex-wife! I hope you and me both can stay off the devil's lettuce!
It is certainly harmless or nearly so to most; my best friend smokes as much; but he quits when he feels like it; he uses it recreationally. He thinks of it like advil; for aches and pains. No fascination or addiction.

I saw allot of people get addicted to weed and it fucked some of them up as much as harder drugs imo. This is what people dont get about weed. Its not actually real marijuana ie. the plant that grows in the wild. It's genetically modified to have so much more than the natural amount of anything in it. So its practically a pharmacological super potent drug what people are taking so often. Then who do you know that smokes weed without tobacco ? seriously ? so theres that, its being smoked so there are carcinogens - most people are too careless to even vape it (are are addicted to tobacco). Then also, its become somewhat normal to smoke this stuff all day and every day - but seriously why is this a thing ? would you take shots of vodka all day while at work ? or in college ? (maybe on some occasion but all the time ?).

How did this become normal ? It became normal through the pro marijuana lobby and their propaganda imo. Then whats the main compound people are after in this stuff ? THC, a nasty and vile compound imo. Anxiety and hallucination inducing crap that opens you up to spiritual possession. Many weed smokers are possessed imo, their brains are completely messed up and its not from other drugs, just the vast quantities of ultra powerful weed they are taking constantly. Tell me that you dont know potheads who look like meth addicts ? The difference with pot is that it wont mess with your heart and send you directly to the emergency room/morgue, but if you think heavy or even just frequent use isnt negatively effecting your brain your wrong. The sheer amount of THC in that stuff is wreaking your brain and leaving you open to all kinds of unwanted walk ins and influences. If you want some of the good benefits like mild relaxation and anti anxiety then use CBD or hemp.

I have been having a hard time coming to terms with this and it has been an ongoing problem for years. I know some might feel cannabis is benign and it may be for some people but it is definitely not in my case. I smoked basically everyday for 3-4 years, then was off for a while and started up again casually. I soon noticed that the positive effects, or what I viewed to be positive effects were decreasing and the problematic elements increasing. It is now at a point where if I smoke at all, I have terrible rebound depression/anxiety and magnified OCD like thoughts for days and sometimes even weeks afterwards. This may sound ridiculous but it is the case for me. The disturbing thing is, for the last two years I have come to realize I need to give it up period, but I still find myself at the dispensary just to get “one more joint” which always manifests in a nightmare afterwards. It bothers me how I will chase a high that lasts maybe an hour or two tops to then deal with terrible rebound effects afterwards. I was wondering if anyone could provide some input on how to manage the feeling that creeps in that causes me to relapse. I have been to traditional therapy but it doesn’t help a lot of the time because us usually the therapists don’t have experience with drugs. Any input is appreciated.
My take on this 'my name is emkee_reinvented and I am a Chronic addict' not motivated to stop by any means. Would this be about a drug that has definite devastating consequences on you i would be prepared to taper and quit.

Rebound effects of Cannabis ime are none existant. Its just my mood that plums when i stop smoking Cannabis. And my drive and appetite. When high i function perfectly, no anxiety or other alarming side effect's.

Tried it 2 years, the worst of my live.

i can easily stop, for a few days, its just the fact my mood is negatively affected. Getting less motivated to do anything, to the point of what is the meaning of live. It made me decide smoking Weed is a small offer to combat the problems I encountered when sober. Dr's medication never offered me the benefits THC does, neither did these so called Psychologie and Psychiatry. YMMV.

My take on this 'my name is emkee_reinvented and I am a Chronic addict' not motivated to stop by any means. Would this be about a drug that has definite devastating consequences on you i would be prepared to taper and quit.
Rebound effects of Cannabis ime are none existant. Its just my mood that plums when i stop smoking Cannabis. And my drive and appetite. When high i function perfectly, no anxiety or other alarming side effect's.

Tried it 2 years, the worst of my live.

i can easily stop, for a few days, its just the fact my mood is negatively affected. Getting less motivated to do anything, to the point of what is the meaning of live. It made me decide smoking Weed is a small offer to combat the problems I encountered when sober. Dr's medication never offered me the benefits THC does, neither did these so called Psychologie and Psychiatry. YMMVf I would consider the nasty mood that
I would consider the nasty mood that follows ceasing cannabis a rebound effect. My mood is significantly worse after I smoke than before I started. It gets to the point where it inhibits my functioning. I know the feeling of “well this helps me in the moment so I’d rather use it than be miserable,” but the insidious thing is it makes your default state of mind worse and worse when you don’t have it. So it’s not really solving anything, quite the opposite. I’m aware of this but still have had a very hard time giving it up for good, so I get it.

I smoke bongs around the clock and have been at with some breaks from age 16-50. At age 30 I started having panic attacks after smoking; but even that did not make me quit! once I start; I can't stop. When I stop; staying stopped lasts a year to longer. Easy as pie; I can never remember why I ever start up again; I just wind up on the couch. WTF
I never have any major withdrawal; but somehow being stoned means it just has to be every hour on the hour. Not with friends, not just for surfing/outdoor pursuits, road trips, etc. Not as a social endeavor, not at a party, just straight fiending like I am using crack or something. Only by myself or one other person; sure, at parties, but what stoner is going to a party if the TV is on?

And worse; after a period of abstinence; tolerance drops; and every time I start up again; I get an insane panic attack. How fun is that? Lol but I eventually succomb; and but three hours later I am compulsively smoking it again. Then I stay on the couch for a year or longer/only go out for food and to the dispo. I have tried to limit my intake; but it never works. Most people just laugh at me when I say I am a pot addict. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in 25 years. Don't use nicotine; do use methadone and benzos though.

Best part; I am off the weed right now; and the 75 bucks a week I spend at the dispensary I spend on gardening and growing regular flowers.
So here's what keeps me off;
more motivation
no more coughing up black shit
good dreams
Mo money to spend on frivolous things; if I can afford a half ounce of pot, I can afford to indulge myself on something better.
So fellow pot addict; it's real as any other addiction; I used to have my wife hide my stash; but I would tear up the house until I found it! Now ex-wife! I hope you and me both can stay off the devil's lettuce!
It is certainly harmless or nearly so to most; my best friend smokes as much; but he quits when he feels like it; he uses it recreationally. He thinks of it like advil; for aches and pains. No fascination or
It feels to terrible to stop for a while and then get sucked back in. You mention you’ve stopped for around a year before, in my case the longest has been around 8-9 months. But during that time I thought “I definitely am not doing it again,” and when it arose again it was nasty. Then you start feeling ashamed and that adds to it.

I also have the same dynamic where I sit by myself all day trying to convince myself it’s normal, sometimes not leaving the house whatsoever all day and getting food delivered. I spent hundreds of dollars at the dispensary the last couple weeks telling myself each time: “this is the last.” It scares me watching myself go down the rabbit hole like that.

There seems to be a distinct difference in the perception of Cannabis.

A scale ranging from couch lock, compulsive smoking after the initial effects are thru. Sometimes accompanied by anxiety. At one end.

On the other end of its spectrum its some sort of doping aiding activity, (enduring positively) social activities and improving mood and overal better living.

I find myself on that side of the scale, but admit its merely a crotch. Rather would I feel like this without adding a substance. But as far as substances go Weed does seem pretty safe. Although I doubt that counts for those that experience 'the Cannabis anxiety'. Something I completely lack. Like the compulsive toking, not for me 3 max 4 times a day. Recently I added CBD weed and it seems to get rid of what the OP mention's, the rebound anxiety.

So maybe switch/ taper on such a strain makes stopping some what easier. You can swap over by raising the amount of CBD Weed gradually. Doing that atm.

All that said, i have known complete potheads, who smoke these GM strains all day every day and can still operate at a pretty high level. Iv known people who work in gov offices who do it, who work some fairly high end jobs and they even claim they cant operate without it. These however are a minority, it has a negative overall effect on most people imo (heavy frequent smoking). Iv seen people become very schizoish from it. Allot of it is prob the person, but maybe the type of weed is a big factor aswel. Im personally convinced THC is the devil and maybe more CBD heavy varieties offset and cancel out the negative effects. I really dont know.

I would consider the nasty mood that follows ceasing cannabis a rebound effect. My mood is significantly worse after I smoke than before I started. It gets to the point where it inhibits my functioning. I know the feeling of “well this helps me in the moment so I’d rather use it than be miserable,” but the insidious thing is it makes your default state of mind worse and worse when you don’t have it. So it’s not really solving anything, quite the opposite. I’m aware of this but still have had a very hard time giving it up for good, so I get it.
There is actually study done which shows that consuming THC can actually restore function of cannabinergic system fucked up by STRESS. Fuck stress.

I have had significant afterglows even before any dependence or addiction to weed. Also the trip caused by weed can be therapeutic as experience. Certainly many things going on and afterall I wouldn't go too hasty with assumption it couldn't solve anything.

All that said, i have known complete potheads, who smoke these GM strains all day every day and can still operate at a pretty high level. Iv known people who work in gov offices who do it, who work some fairly high end jobs and they even claim they cant operate without it. These however are a minority, it has a negative overall effect on most people imo (heavy frequent smoking). Iv seen people become very schizoish from it. Allot of it is prob the person, but maybe the type of weed is a big factor aswel. Im personally convinced THC is the devil and maybe more CBD heavy varieties offset and cancel out the negative effects. I really dont know.
while you make some good points, be aware that there is nothing "genetically modified" about even the most potent modern cultivars of cannabis. it's just selective breeding to get to the desired product as with any other crop that has been bred in modern times. GM also isn't really necessary to bring out characteristics a plant already has (ie production if THC) but to add some trait the plant inherently cannot have naturally. and modifying genes is something done by huge agro or pharm corporations, because it is very expensive to develop. I doubt any corporation even in legal states has the means to do that. certainly not when it was illegal everywhere.

sorry for offtopic

while you make some good points, be aware that there is nothing "genetically modified" about even the most potent modern cultivars of cannabis. it's just selective breeding to get to the desired product as with any other crop that has been bred in modern times. GM also isn't really necessary to bring out characteristics a plant already has (ie production if THC) but to add some trait the plant inherently cannot have naturally. and modifying genes is something done by huge agro or pharm corporations, because it is very expensive to develop. I doubt any corporation even in legal states has the means to do that. certainly not when it was illegal everywhere.

sorry for offtopic
right, i just assumed these ultra strong strains where gm or something.

NSFW:
Check out the intro to this. It’s been selectively bread for thousands of years in multiple locations. This has resulted in an amazingly diverse genetic pool that you can. choose from to try and generate almost unlimited desired characteristics.

But hey we are trying to help washingtonbound with a grass addiction.

Last edited:
I
There seems to be a distinct difference in the perception of Cannabis.

A scale ranging from couch lock, compulsive smoking after the initial effects are thru. Sometimes accompanied by anxiety. At one end.

On the other end of its spectrum its some sort of doping aiding activity, (enduring positively) social activities and improving mood and overal better living.

I find myself on that side of the scale, but admit its merely a crotch. Rather would I feel like this without adding a substance. But as far as substances go Weed does seem pretty safe. Although I doubt that counts for those that experience 'the Cannabis anxiety'. Something I completely lack. Like the compulsive toking, not for me 3 max 4 times a day. Recently I added CBD weed and it seems to get rid of what the OP mention's, the rebound anxiety.

So maybe switch/ taper on such a strain makes stopping some what easier. You can swap over by raising the amount of CBD Weed gradually. Doing that atm.
I don’t get anxious when smoking, it’s the nasty rebound effect like you said. The experience of smoking is rarely bad, seems therapeutic at the time, but afterwards I feel awful.

There is actually study done which shows that consuming THC can actually restore function of cannabinergic system fucked up by STRESS. Fuck stress.

I have had significant afterglows even before any dependence or addiction to weed. Also the trip caused by weed can be therapeutic as experience. Certainly many things going on and afterall I wouldn't go too hasty with assumption it couldn't solve anything.
There is rarely anything negative about the cannabis experience itself. I feel like I am working through a lot of issues when I smoke, and my mind is much quieter. The problem is the ugly, ugly after effects I get during which I forget about any “revelations” I had while high, and shitty thoughts come back with a vengeance. This has particularly become a problem for me over the past couple years, after several years of smoking. I consider myself to have an addictive issue with it because I continue to use to achieve an hour or so of a decent high despite the negative effects afterwards.

Someone wrote somewhere about weed that it feels unbelievable how something which makes you feel so content makes so much harm.
I emphasized. Addiction, dependence mechanisms and some side effects initially have a bad habit cutting off the road the high started to make.

I

I don’t get anxious when smoking, it’s the nasty rebound effect like you said. The experience of smoking is rarely bad, seems therapeutic at the time, but afterwards I feel awful.
Your right the effect's on my mood could just as well been seen as a rebound effect. It lasted very long too after 1 and 1/2 years it was still there.

That is when I started toking again.

Last edited: