• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Psychoactive impurity in amphetamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew
I've been wondering about this for a while and I unfortunately forgot the name of a chemical I am looking for.

A while ago I bought good quality amphetamine, that is to say the quantity of amphetamine in the product (as far as I can tell about 50%) was considerably higher than what is average for 'street speed' (10-20%). However there was also an unreacted precursor in the product.

This precursor colored the product dirty brownish yellow / orange. I know this because I washed the stuff with ice-cold anhydrous acetone. This yielded an impeccable white potent product as the retentate and a solution colored as said as the permeate.

There was a difference in psychoactive effect and properties between the unwashed product and the washed product:
- unwashed the effect was rushy, euphoric (which is also to say recreational) as if the serotonergic release was enhanced, but not very functional. Sure it was stimulating, but the intoxication didn't improve task-performance as much as a number of amphetamines can. The dreamy "roll" like quality again suggested considerable serotonergic activity - I think I have enough experience with all sorts of compounds to draw some dissimilarities between dopamine-heavy and serotonin-heavy drugs. Also there was a comedown more typical of a euphoriant. And this form was definitely a lot more addictive to me than the pure form. The impure stuff also reeked to high heaven of what I believe a lot of people think is amphetamine itself.
- washed the effect was not rushy but steady, euphoric but in a way I find typical of racemic and dextrorotatory amphetamine, nootropic rather than intoxicating, and yes that is to say very functional. Also the comedown was typical of amphetamine. None of this should be surprising since I am talking about purified amphetamine.

Without going into synthesis discussion:
I realise there are different routes to amphetamine and probably not all of them could have the mystery compound I am looking for as an impurity.
Hopefully one of you will know what compound I am talking about and mentioning it would not constitute how to use it in a synthesis, I hope...

I expect some of you will call the general validity and subjectivity into question, suggesting that it was probably a difference in dose or set and setting, or a tolerance effect.
However I have used both forms repeatedly with very consistent and noticeably different effects (I am reminded of the 'Dirty Acid FAQ' discussion over at PD and the whole tan MDPV debate...) and I *think* that the existence of this active precursor was confirmed by someone with credibility.

Yes I could be wrong but having acknowledged that it might be illusory I prefer that in the thread we focus on what it could be.

Thanks!

I have no idea what the substance is, but what makes you so sure it's an unreacted precursor and not an unintented byproduct?

Welp...that got me an infraction...probably should of seen that coming tho lol. So I'll try again...

Based off the most common amp synthesis (phenylalanine reduction) it's most likely unreacted hydrochloric acid or some other binder (another infraction is probably a temp ban so I'm not going to say. Use google to find out common amphetamine binders)

These acids are very corrosive. Therefore they cause liver damage, kidney damage, and promote general cell death. HCL specifically, tends to be mutagenic in nature, and therefore is probably carcinogenic. It's definitely a good idea to keep cleaning your amps. Cancer is not something to be taken lightly.

Swampfox... really?

it's most likely unreacted hydrochloric acid or some other binder (another infraction is probably a temp ban so I'm not going to say. Use google to find out common amphetamine binders)

These acids are very corrosive. Therefore they cause liver damage, kidney damage, and promote general cell death. HCL specifically, tends to be mutagenic in nature, and therefore is probably carcinogenic.

HCl is made in your stomach. It's the most common counterion in drugs for forming salts. The presence of HCl does not explain different effects... And moreover, extra HCl in amphetamine would easily be removed by evaporating the crystals to dryness (high vapour pressure at r.t.). Also HCl smells nothing like amphetamine, and isn't yellow.

I'm going to close this - we can't do anything but speculate. There are lots of ways to make amphetamine, plenty of related/precursor compounds that could reasonably be psychoactive, and dealers of course like to use all sorts of cutting agents. Apparently there is sometimes PMA added into "speed".

Test the acetone washes with TLC and Maruqis/Mecke etc, maybe get a GC/MS done if you need to know for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.