• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychoactive, but not psychedelic mushrooms?

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
tell anyone about a psychoactive mushroom and no doubt the hallucinogenic psilocybin containing magic mushrooms come to mind. interestingly, even the muscimol containing hallucinogenic amanita species which may have dominated human history for thousands of years remains quite obscure.
On the other hand, I am hoping we can discuss The possibility of mushroom/other fungi that produce non-hallucinogenic psychotropic substances such as stimulants, opioids, anxiolytics or any other unique drug. i’m aware that some scientists have genetically modified yeast to produce cannabinoids and opioid peptides but this is early-stage research. i’m interested in this because mushrooms are very efficient producers of secondary metabolites and they do so in large quantities. not sure if this is a blessing or a curse, but it seems to be that so far, hallucinogens, more specifically psilocybin is the only drug class known to be produced by mushrooms. if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.
Why am I interested in this?
Well, as you may have seen in other forums, my fragile personality and extreme emotional nature means I don’t really want to try hallucinogens. furthermore, it’s not surprising that hallucinogens including magic mushrooms have such a low abuse potential or recreational value for the average user. on the other hand, more sort after drugs like cocaine, amphetamine/cathinone morphine and even legal drugs, like caffeine and nicotine are generally produced by cash crops in hot climates. labour-intensive conditions, destruction of natural land, use of toxic chemicals from cultivation to extraction of alkaloids amongst many other drawbacks are all part of the process. now, just imagine if the same drugs could be produced in massive quantities Buy mushrooms growing in your backyard. for those like me, who have no interest in psychedelics, The thought of holding a morphine or cathinone containing mushroom generates much more excitement.
I know there are drawbacks to this as well. Of course, these drugs can be highly addictive and can kill. if such mushrooms were able to spread globally, law-enforcement would have no way whatsoever to control these drugs as you could probably grow them under your bed.
The idea of opioid or stimulant mushrooms might seem like it belongs in the world of fantasy rather than reality, but I strongly disagree. Constant new discoveries of natural biological specimens, advanced genetic engineering and crossbreeding means such things are highly possible.

You couldn’t be more wrong about so called magic mushrooms. What do you think 99% of people when they come to NL take them for? For fun. What do you think why so many hippy trance girls and boys munch a bit of shrooms now and than and again but wont take a solid dose of LSD? Cuz shrooms in low dose are great party drug, certainly more suitable as a party drug than even light blotter, hardly approaching 100µ is.

I’m yet to explore shrooms properly (both psylocibe and amanitas). Minimal dose I taken was less than 10g of fresh and a bit less than 1g of dried and maximum dose I have taken was 10g of dried potent stuff. But I’m still to really get them. In lower dose they are simply light recreational drug, nice, but there’s a lot, and I mean a lot of things I would rather take for that reason, but at least they are safe as it gets and in that range many like them a lot more than me, most people I think. In high doses I’m yet to achieve what 4-aco-dmt gave me, maybe extraction will solve this, time will tell.

Don’t buy into bs about shrooms, it’s a potent psychedelic if you take enough but it’s a pleasant drug of abuse just like any other in small doses. Fact that it can be beneficial along being drug of abuse is something else.

Good topic, don't know much about this myself. It's conceivable that most mushroom secondary metabolites are for interactions with plants, other mushrooms and small insects, and thus there's less interplay with the nervous systems of higher mammals, plants on the other hand have co-evolved with herbivores, which have largely similar chemistries to ourselves.

Collybolide, which sparked interest as a potential kOR agonist for a few years, is no longer considered to be psychoactive, or atleast not similar to salvinorin A.

You couldn’t be more wrong about so called magic mushrooms. What do you think 99% of people when they come to NL take them for? For fun. What do you think why so many hippy trance girls and boys munch a bit of shrooms now and than and again but wont take a solid dose of LSD? Cuz shrooms in low dose are great party drug, certainly more suitable as a party drug than even light blotter, hardly approaching 100µ is.

I’m yet to explore shrooms properly (both psylocibe and amanitas). Minimal dose I taken was less than 10g of fresh and a bit less than 1g of dried and maximum dose I have taken was 10g of dried potent stuff. But I’m still to really get them. In lower dose they are simply light recreational drug, nice, but there’s a lot, and I mean a lot of things I would rather take for that reason, but at least they are safe as it gets and in that range many like them a lot more than me, most people I think. In high doses I’m yet to achieve what 4-aco-dmt gave me, maybe extraction will solve this, time will tell.

Don’t buy into bs about shrooms, it’s a potent psychedelic if you take enough but it’s a pleasant drug of abuse just like any other in small doses. Fact that it can be beneficial along being drug of abuse is something else.
It can definitely be a pleasant recreational experience in lower doses. But what I really like about it among other things is that it isn’t a drug of abuse in the way we think of drugs of abuse.

I have tried taking potent mushrooms two days in a row and I even doubled my dose from the previous day and I got absolutely zero effects. Same was true for my girl. And these are lab tested psilocybin mushrooms. Very potent.

This makes the abuse potential very low and there’s no compulsive drive to redose the same day ime.

Pretty safe drug in most circumstances.

Some scientists have gotten a tobacco plant to grow cocaine.

Pretty interesting. I wish seeds were available. I know I can grow tobacco where I live. I'm not so sure about coca plants.

Bacteria used to be used to ferment alcohols other than ethanol (butanol and acetone).

Yeast can supposedly produce GHB from MSG.

Other mushrooms and fungus could already hold chemicals that are interesting to medicine. Check out lion's mane.

I think it would be interesting if scientists would study the khat plant enough to encode another plant to produce cathinone. That should be doable.

Sooo. Some might say cordyceps fruiting bodies are mildly psychoactive... as a stimulant. They're certainly bioactive, in a way that slightly alters my conciousness.

Also I had taken kanna several times with zero effect, but one morning I took kanna and cordyceps together. And while driving to work I starting rolling balls very similar to MDMA.

lowest trip dose of shrooms is relatively benign as psychedelic experience but I have experienced distressing emotional turbulence that way. nothing that would ask for sedatives tho.
Some shrooms, p. semilanceata at least, actually produce core form phenethylamine (PEA)-the measured amounts are ridiculously low tho so I think it has no significance, at least without MAO-b-i. But route for that exists. Haha I think now if it would be possible to breed more specific forms, but how does go manipulating genes of fungi?
PEA is not too far tho our bodies and cocoa also produces that, it is rather simple as stimulant and many consider it underwhelming, some get nasty bodyload and some consider it very euphoric. I think it is nice but haven't taken it pure.

I tried both lions mane and cordyceps and can’t say I noticed anything but they are healthy mushrooms, that’s sure. But apparently many people cured some conditions with them.

lowest trip dose of shrooms is relatively benign as psychedelic experience but I have experienced distressing emotional turbulence that way.
That’s why some take less than a trip dose. At that level they can be less intense but more fun than weed and with less chance to induce bad experience than weed.

Interesting, I didn’t know low-dose mushrooms were recreational, but now you’ve said it, I can definitely see how. If I’m not mistaken, psilocybin has a rather short half life and is considerably weaker than most semisynthetic/synthetic psychedelics. I also remember reading that psilocybin has mild but broad range activity across many receptor types. though I’ve never tried any psychedelic, I definitely understand how low-dose mushrooms could provide youngsters with a novel, Dreamy and exciting psychoactive experience as opposed to LSD, which might smash their ego to pieces whilst sending them on a terrifying 12 hour mindbending trip.

However, I didn’t actually mean to say mushrooms, had no recreational value, just that the fact they contain psychedelics has garnered far less human attention as opposed to if they were too contain other substances. Just imagine if A new species of wild mushroom was discovered and the main active ingredient was morphine or cathinone. i’m sure that mushroom would reach every neighbourhood of every City, in every country across every continent in the blink of an eye. even if they only contain nicotine, i’m sure a large number of people would have gone for them.
I don’t say this to discard psychedelics, I just feel that the psychedelic properties of magic mushrooms have limited The number of potential new and regular users alike.

Interesting, I didn’t know low-dose mushrooms were recreational, but now you’ve said it, I can definitely see how. If I’m not mistaken, psilocybin has a rather short half life and is considerably weaker than most semisynthetic/synthetic psychedelics. I also remember reading that psilocybin has mild but broad range activity across many receptor types. though I’ve never tried any psychedelic, I definitely understand how low-dose mushrooms could provide youngsters with a novel, Dreamy and exciting psychoactive experience as opposed to LSD, which might smash their ego to pieces whilst sending them on a terrifying 12 hour mindbending trip.

However, I didn’t actually mean to say mushrooms, had no recreational value, just that the fact they contain psychedelics has garnered far less human attention as opposed to if they were too contain other substances. Just imagine if A new species of wild mushroom was discovered and the main active ingredient was morphine or cathinone. i’m sure that mushroom would reach every neighbourhood of every City, in every country across every continent in the blink of an eye. even if they only contain nicotine, i’m sure a large number of people would have gone for them.
I don’t say this to discard psychedelics, I just feel that the psychedelic properties of magic mushrooms have limited The number of potential new and regular users alike.
You are right but consider that really low dose of magic mushrooms has more fans with purely recreational, light users than a lot of drugs seen as feel good by default. With opiates you might end up with bad nausea and noding and how they make you feel at proper dose isn’t really everyone’s thing. With stimulants you can end up with bad insomnia, some get paranoid with just a little too much and many really don’t like body stimulation that’s almost unavoidable at proper recreational dose. So all in all, magic mushrooms in low dose are as abusable as weed is. They might not be really as euphoric as some “hard drugs” but effects they produce in low dose is something most people find fun and really pleasant, easy to handle experience. Ofc as you increase dose things change a lot.

And don’t forget magic mushrooms were not (re)discovered before LSD! And Hofmann and many found them to be sub-par compared to acid. But for capitalist consumerist society their giggly, sexy effects at doses most people use will turn out huge cash crop wherever they get legalized and they’ll be (ab)used in manner no different then other currently easy to get mass production goodies.

And don’t forget magic mushrooms were not (re)discovered before LSD! And Hofmann and many found them to be sub-par compared to acid. But for capitalist consumerist society their giggly, sexy effects at doses most people use will turn out huge cash crop wherever they get legalized and they’ll be (ab)used in manner no different then other currently easy to get mass production goodies.

Thanks for that informative explanation.

On the point of psychedelic effect's that differs from person to person. And even age seems to have influence on it.

Mushrooms give me a very uncomfertable flooring trip. Even at low doses it seems to pull me down a bit. LSD on the other hand at a normal dose floors me but I retain the ability to move. And the trip fits me. A lighter dose could be nice on a party, maybe with a bit of some dextro-Amphetamine or 2-FA.

Psylocibine always gives me this sort of bad trip. As do most tryptamines, but strangely the 4-HO subtitution's like 4-HO-MIPT are nice trips. If you are in for a shorter some what different then a Lysergic trip I would advise these rather then Psilocybine Truffles.

Sooo. Some might say cordyceps fruiting bodies are mildly psychoactive... as a stimulant. They're certainly bioactive, in a way that slightly alters my conciousness.

Also I had taken kanna several times with zero effect, but one morning I took kanna and cordyceps together. And while driving to work I starting rolling balls very similar to MDMA.

Have you experimented much with Lions Mane combined with psychedelics? It adds a whole new depth to the experience. That said, some of those experiences were mushroom mixtures that contained cordyceps too.. 🤔 I’ve been meaning to try it alone.

Mud Water when combined with psychedelics or MDMA adds a ton of stimulation and makes it all so much more intense, but with that comes increased comedown as well.

-GC

On the point of psychedelic effect's that differs from person to person. And even age seems to have influence on it.

Mushrooms give me a very uncomfertable flooring trip. Even at low doses it seems to pull me down a bit. LSD on the other hand at a normal dose floors me but I retain the ability to move. And the trip fits me. A lighter dose could be nice on a party, maybe with a bit of some dextro-Amphetamine or 2-FA.

Psylocibine always gives me this sort of bad trip. As do most tryptamines, but strangely the 4-HO subtitution's like 4-HO-MIPT are nice trips. If you are in for a shorter some what different then a Lysergic trip I would advise these rather then Psilocybine Truffles.
Not too unlike my experience. But I mean really low doses. Where you feel effects but hardly can tell there’s any psychedelia to it and definitely not that you are really tripping.

Like about 1 gram (or even just 0.5g for a small person) of some medium potency shrooms is cool for hanging out with friends, for sex or party where atmosphere is ok for being high on tripy/relaxing stuff.