View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics With Schizophrenia

xmas

Greenlighter
So first off, I have a diagnosis of schizo-affective disorder. I wanted to understand the effect of shrooms or any statistics on their affect on people within the schizophrenia spectrum. I don't plan on using shrooms. I saw a few people talking about psychedelic research and benefits for people with the mental illness. I imagine a drug that causes hallucinations would be traumatizing or even have negative long term effects.

Suppose someone randomly handed you a baggy with a gram of shrooms in it, and mumbled something about the type but you don't even remember what type they were. Would you simply throw them away knowing you were at risk, and the fact that you don't even know what type they are and it's not easy to identify them?

Lots of people talk about wonderful experiences on shrooms, and how it changes their lives. Many with schizophrenia freak out even taking Marijuana causes a sort of weird experience. I think they are more intense for people with this illness, more pronounced, and because of taking medication it could also cause a negative reaction...

So basically, are psychedelics harmful to people with schizophrenia? Thanks in advance.

Yes, taking them with schizophrenia is not advisable. No one can say something bad is going to happen for sure, but it is likely, since people with schizophrenia are prone to delusions to begin with.

I wouldn't throw them away, I'd post a picture and have people identify them. They only vary in strength, so one could always take a cautious dose.

Id say 1milion % it would be a bad idea
Interesting thought
But thats just my opinion

I would not recommend it.

Psychedelics can trigger or exacerbate underlying mental illnesses-- and especially with something like shrooms, which can be so dark and intense, I wouldn't want to take the risk.
Also, are you on any medications? There is a good chance that if you are, the psychedelic effects would be blunted.

I have a friend who has schizophernia who took mushrooms a couple times. The first time he almost swallowed a bottle of pills because he thought the lyrics of a song were telling him to kill himself. The other time he took them with a.friend and believed this person raped him (which never happened) and then had terrifying delusions of this person "haunting his mind and molesting him in his sleep" both experiences triggered episodes lasting several months. So in short, and im not trying to be rude but DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! (for you own wellbeing and for those who care about you)

Last edited:
Suppose someone randomly handed you a baggy with a gram of shrooms in it, and mumbled something about the type but you don't even remember what type they were. Would you simply throw them away knowing you were at risk, and the fact that you don't even know what type they are and it's not easy to identify them?

I wouldn't bother taking them - a gram isn't enough to trip on anyway.

Well I changed my mind, I figured it was mild and I was with my roommate. I took the gram. It actually did have an effect, yay. I started having thoughts about my family and remembering things from my childhood vividly that I hadn't quite pieced together. I've read that psychedelics could possibly be helpful in repairing certain cases of mental illness. The problem is my situation doesn't really allow it right now. I'd have to be in study for it or something. But I did notice for a short time that the bed was kinda twisting for a few seconds and colors are still a bit brighter. I didn't have any hallucinations but I felt a little dizzy for awhile.

The most I noticed was I started feeling reaaally good, like a good buzz, and then I closed my eyes and felt like my third eye was suddenly open. But I got really annoyed because my roommate was talking on and on and on to this girl, and all I could think was that he sounds like such a robot, metaphorically speaking. Well, with or without shrooms my roommate is obnoxious.

I'm normally very tensed because of this medication, so it relaxed my nerves a lot. Even though it was my first mushroom trip, I feel like my body was very prepared. I'm starting to realize that shrooms probably have the potential to reach in and fix the broken pieces/ the problem with schizophrenia is that they don't try to cure you. They claim there is no cure, but that's because they stopped looking for one.

Which cases of mental illness are we talking about? Depression? Never heard of it with schizophrenia. I hope you know there's also the much bigger possibility of aggrevating it badly as well. The very nature of hallucinogens does not go well with schizophrenia.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think psychedelics is the right answer. You should be studying neurochemistry or psychology instead :) How bad is your condition?

Wasn't there a study on treating schizophrenic children with LSD? Maybe under certain circumstances it'd be okay, though I'd think in a lot of schizos it'd be bad:(.

A gram of Psilocybe Cubensis isn't usually much, but for some other species it's pretty strong, like Mexcana, Semilanceata, or Cyanescens.

Xmas, what meds are you taking? I too was diagonosed with schizoaffective. I really want to trip but can't risk going off meds. I know that LSD could break through the anti-psychotic blockade and I know I could handle a trip in my case, but all I can get is shrooms and I wasn't sure if they'd be strong enough.

I'm taking Abilify. I wouldn't go off your meds and I wouldn't recommend a high dose if you do plan to try shrooms. I had a pretty good effect for less than a gram of psychedelic mushrooms. Give it lots of time and thought before you take the risk.

Coolzmoker,

Maybe you're right. It just isn't a safe thing to do when you can't monitor the outcomes. I want to steer clear from any sort of self medicating anyways. But I am realizing for quite some time I haven't felt like the person I used to be, not from shrooms, but could be due to stress or the illness wearing on me.

I haven't relapsed since I was a teen and that was due to going off the medications. I don't suffer from symptoms during the day, I have normal health and everything, but I take a medication that works.

Which cases of mental illness are we talking about? Depression? Never heard of it with schizophrenia. I hope you know there's also the much bigger possibility of aggrevating it badly as well. The very nature of hallucinogens does not go well with schizophrenia.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think psychedelics is the right answer. You should be studying neurochemistry or psychology instead :) How bad is your condition?

There were a number of studies focusing on giving schizophrenic children LSD, I can't search for it now but it's on the psychedelic dictionary website.

I wouldn't define these substances as mere "hallucinogens" tho.

As for the OP, be careful man. I hope the plants treat you well, good luck.

i have schizophrenia and i tripped dozens of wonderful times before i was diagnosed.. i have been assured by my various doctors that my drug use did not bring on or worsen my condition - the worry in my mind is that it can indeed intensify the symptoms of schizo-typal during the trip and make you do embarrassing or dangerous things as pointed out.. i have done things like hurt myself, cause vandalism and once i was even taken forcibly by cops to the hospital when i ran into a supermarket yelling about the end of the world.. but, when things were in a good trip setting with friends nothing bad happened besides my ruined love life haunting my teenage years..

it sucks being on anti-psyches.. i haven't tripped properly in 11 years.. i ate a hit of good LSD - was not enough to 'break through' anything - i just felt excited at having my first trip in years then nothing at all...

You have to be in a cool place...not listening to your wack roommate...like out in nature, in the woods of a safe nice place you feel comfortable...I have schizo-affective too, and have tripped 3 times, amazing and worth it...though it might have furthered my abstract thinking...it's amazing how the detail of nature is revealed to you, the beauty your mind tarnished with its en-grained perspective...reveals what your mind's eye, your thoughts and attitudes get in the way of seeing. Pot makes me paranoid, shrooms are a body high more comfortable, just meditate and be at peace. I'm looking into the same thing you are, I just bought a bunch of books on amazon and am looking for a cure, cleanse the door of perception message me anything you think I should look at. As for the last time though, fear and loathing in an unfinished basement with a rabid dog outside the door...not good...but it wasn't shrooms don't know what it was will ask find out, but the strangest thing happened I would think to pick up the coke can at my feet and have a sip--then I'd bend over and pick it up...without even thinking consciously of doing it...like a separation within my mind, scary, I dry heaved in the garbage and relaxed and thought this too will pass...and it did...but maybe I have to take them again and have a positive experience so I could delve deep and replace that negative one is still en-grained deep within my subconscious and possibly still affecting my perspective on the world. I just saw a this documentary on DMT the spirit molecule on netflix streaming...maybe it would help...I know too, like with shrooms, it increase my sense of spirituality and gave me peace of mind and belief in something much bigger than myself...im grateful for that...and last they say in that film that you have to realize what you don't know, to get on the path to knowing...others remain ignorant and stubborn and hopeless their whole lives, yet its a fine line I don't know about you but for me my delusions are very seductive and real to me like living in a movie plot, exciting...I miss them...but you can't believe in them

Good luck. I have noticed that recently I've felt more like myself since tripping. Like exactly what I needed to happen. When I came back from an open mic and brought some friends, the whole apartment seemed cleared. I've also prayed a lot and asked God for a second chance. I think God is helping me. I can't seem to enjoy taking the medication either, it's too hard on my mental state, like it's been making it all worse. I am going to start taking smaller doses working with doctor on this. The problem is to simply get meds, I have to analyze my life into miniscule pieces, and nothing seems to feel whole anymore for me. I don't know why they seem to exaggerate all my symptoms constantly, becausee I haven't had many serious hallucinations compared to most people, I realized. I've hardly hallucinated in my entire life.

Recently it's been coming to my attention that my life-long social anxiety is basically a mild form of paranoid schizophrenia.

Psychedelics help me deal with it by bringing it to my attention, or helping me understand it.

For instance, when I'm sober, the paranoid delusions are so slight, that they're believable, so I'm not hip to them, and just assume that people are being passive aggressive toward me for whatever reason, and feel continuously awkward and shitty around other people. However, on LSD, the paranoid delusions get massively exaggerated, to the point that the world appears to be one massive conspiracy against ME, in which case it becomes totally obvious that I'm delusional, because it's absurd and logically-impossible. The way I described it to a friend, was that LSD caricatured my psychosis. Now, it's much easier for me to recognize subtle psychotic delusions, and shrug them off by reminding myself that they're illogical.

I can't recommend a schizophrenic to take mind-altering drugs, but I will say that there were no negative consequences in my (relatively minor) case, that I am aware of.

i took mushrooms once and i had a very good trip and nothing went wrong but the second time i took psycadelics was lsd and i thought i was being lewered into a dark dungeon where clowns would eat me alive, slowly by my "friends" who new about it all and were waiting my whole life for me to take a tab so that they could get me killed and feed the clowns, i do not recommend taking psycadelics they are alot more intense when you have schitzophrenia and it will go bad if taken enough. i now have drug induced psycosis and have been on five differnet meds over 9 months and the symptons have only just gone away im lucky it was not schitzophrenia this was all from taking lsd once.