• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Psychedelics replace pot as the new favourite edgy and 'get-rich-quick' investment

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Psychedelics replace pot as the new favourite edgy and 'get-rich-quick' investment
Tiffany Kary
Financial Post
December 11th, 2020
Cannabis is only on the cusp of many investors’ comfort zones, but the family offices and high-net-worth individuals hungry for early stage, edgy investments have already moved on to psychedelics.

Marijuana’s legal headway in recent years has paved the way for new interest in remedies typically relegated to the black market. Companies that work with drugs like psilocybin, an ingredient in magic mushrooms, or Ibogaine, used in ayahuasca-style ceremonies, are proliferating, with early-stage investors predicting such substances have an even better shot than cannabis at disrupting the US$70-billion market for mental health. The question now is whether such aims bear out —and in time to catch up with all the money flowing in.

“People see this potentially as a get-rich-quick mechanism, just like you saw in the early stages of cannabis,” said Sa’ad Shah, who runs Grey House Partners GP Inc.’s Noetic Fund, which has invested in more than a dozen psychedelics companies. While Shah’s background is in asset management, he said lots of VCs in the psychedelics space have recently come from marijuana. “They feel they don’t want to have another FOMO situation here,” he said, referring to a “fear of missing out,” like they did with early-stage cannabis plays.

The overlap between the two sectors is clear. Both involve substances that are federally illegal in the U.S. and in many other countries around the world, putting off most institutional investors and leaving the playing field to high-net worth individuals and family offices.

Yet there are also huge differences. Psychedelics, which can involve intense, side-effect-plagued trips, aren’t predicted to have the widespread recreational appeal of marijuana. And with all the talk about micro-dosing as a productivity-booster or mood-hack — which has little to do with the narrow regulatory pathways these psychedelics startups are treading — there’s a fear the market could see a bubble just like cannabis did.
Read the full story here.

I've been dreading this as I think it will cheapen psychedelics in some ways.

Personally, I give mushrooms away to all and sundry for free because I think they're great and everyone should have access to them. They're also my answer to all my friends' problems. Involving VCs and rando tax dodgers in the whole enterprise? Feels kind of off for me...and I'm no enemy of capitalism.

I think this will be a bubble. In Canada, the run on cannabis stocks ended up being a bubble and that was for the legalization of the most popular illicit drug in the world. Psychedelics are a niche category of recreational drugs which may have some medical potential for individuals with particular mental health needs, sure, but these drugs are never going to replace Prozac. Unlike the cannabis markets, a lot of these new startups have no realistic plan to ever make a profit. Of course, a lot of people will get rich on the hype in the meantime.

Psychedelics are a niche category of recreational drugs which may have some medical potential for individuals with particular mental health needs, sure, but these drugs are never going to replace Prozac.

Why do you think so? If efficacy is proven to be high enough....

Do you think it might be because of the intrinsic value of mating psychedelics with therapy as opposed to popping pills on one's own at home?

Why do you think so? If efficacy is proven to be high enough....

Do you think it might be because of the intrinsic value of mating psychedelics with therapy as opposed to popping pills on one's own at home?
Psychedelics are primarily anxiogenic, not anxiolytic. They have acutely powerful psychoactive effects that can often be overwhelming. They would require careful monitoring by a professional during use and a personalized approach. I just don't think most people are looking for that. I can see it being used in some cases of treatment-resistant major depression or end-of-life dread, among those who are adventurous, but I don't see it replacing the drugs currently used to treat the everyday anxiety, stress, and depression that the Xanaxes and Prozacs of the world are so massively prescribed for.

Also, we don't know that efficacy will be outstanding. Ketamine was touted as a miracle drug for years but, in the end, J&J's esketamine got approved based on trial results that were borderline at best.

Last edited:
Yeah, I reckon as well.....the need to control doses so as to avoid overwhelming experiences and to have therapy sessions in tandem will probably make it prohibitively time-consuming for a lot of people.

I'ma just keep self-medicating with my tea over here though. ;)

I’d argue more people find them anxiolytic than not. And Ketamine has always been overrated..

I kind of agree besides that though, the regulations surrounding their use alone will keep many using them illicitly. I’m not going to pay to go to some facility or persons house I may not feel completely comfortable with when I can spend a lot less and get a lot more out of the experience at home.

-GC

I've been dreading this as I think it will cheapen psychedelics in some ways.

Personally, I give mushrooms away to all and sundry for free because I think they're great and everyone should have access to them. They're also my answer to all my friends' problems. Involving VCs and rando tax dodgers in the whole enterprise? Feels kind of off for me...and I'm no enemy of capitalism.
Perhaps the capitalist within you needs to flood the market with these practically free mushrooms ;)

I dont see it becoming a booming business. Psychs just dont get used with in the volume weed does.

Lots of people are curious enough to try weed, lots of people smoke it all day every day

Nobody booms all day every day. Not too many squares actually want to mack down a bunch of woodchip tasting fungus.

This would be my bet. Itll be a small niche industry.

Yeah I saw people on ig selling info on how to grow your own mushrooms and selling the set ups etc.

Something to consider is that these drugs have serious medical potential in non psychiatric contexts.

many of these compounds have serious anti inflammatory effects. Which means up the use pattern could be much more frequent. Eleusis is one company exploring this path

@mr peabody has posted a lot of great articles on this over in PM

It won't become a booming business because they are relatively cheap to manufacture and the demand isn't that high. For example a quarter gram of LSD would last most people for years if not their whole life. There's definitely money to be made selling psychedelics, but the market would become saturated very quickly.

Related reading.

could be money in it, but that would be through traditional market manipulation with strict restriction and regulation