View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics + Benzo?

gh0stmAn

Bluelighter
Do you guys think that taking a therapeutic dose of a benzo (xanax, valium, etc) in combination with a Psychedelic (shrooms, LSD, Psychedelic research chems like 5-MeO-DMT, 4-HO-MET, etc) and all those other Psychedelic RC's - which I have never tried but that 4-HO-MET sounds like it would be good, similar to shrooms but cleaner is what I hear.. OR do you think that even a therapeutic dose of a benzo taken in combo with a Psychedelic of your choice would dull the experience too much?

I just wonder b/c I am super sensitive to almost all Psychedelics it seems. ...

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of a waste of the trip to preload with a dose of benzos... You're better of saving them in case you really need them. Feeling moments of anxiety whilst tripping is normal! Usually they are only momentarily. With more experience you'll recognize what things trigger those anxiety moments and you can distract yourself accordingly. It's all about paying attention to your thoughts... If you notice they become negative or stressful, try to identify what is the cause and then simply focus on something else! Look out of the window and try and find visual patterns or put on some music and really listen to it! You can also simply mention to a friend you're feeling a bit anxious, any of these things made my anxiety fade instantly. If you feel your anxiety has spiralled out of control and you are getting into a bit of a bad trip you can always pop a benzo or two then... Just knowing that this is an option can help ease the anxiety if it pops up!

Also finding the triggers for trip anxiety can be very helpful for life in general. Trip anxiety tends to be caused by the same things that daily anxiety is, but it's a bit easier to pinpoint while tripping.

^ this is very true! It's as if a trip is a sort of catalyst for maturing faster!

I really enjoy doing shrooms by myself or with just one or two close friends in a safe and comfortable setting - preferably my own home. But I think its always a good idea to have some kind of benzo on deck while tripping just in case it turns into a bad trip or at to take at the end of the trip just to relax and go to sleep.. I still haven't done shrooms sense my 1st time actually tripping but I kinda wanna do it again now that I know what to expect and really need to explore my mind and figure some shit out.

Last edited:
If I had to suggest a benzo to use to mellow out a trip and quell some of the nervousness and restlessness, if you want to take one off the bat from the beginning, with regard to avoiding too much dulling of the experience, I'd probably say Valium (diazepam), Librium (chlordiazepoxide), or Serax (oxazepam) would be the best, but most other benzo's would be able to be used for this purpose. Assuming you have no or very little benzo tolerance, I would suggest maybe 2.5 mg to 5 mg diazepam, equipotent to 6.25 mg to 12.5 mg chlordiazepoxide or 5 mg to 10 mg oxazepam, taken an hour prior to taking the psychedelic. I am writing this, if you want the whole trip to be a bit mellowed out - if you were to take them at the same time, I would guess there would be more dulling of the experience, even if the psychedelic took some time to take effect. If you were using Ativan (lorazepam) or Klonopin (clonazepam), I would try 0.5 mg Ativan or 0.125 mg to 0.25 mg Klonopin; the Klonopin dose I suggest might seem very low, but it is very potent in its anti-panic and anti-anxiety properties. If you were to use Xanax (alprazolam) for this purpose, I would suggest the same dose of 0.125 mg to 0.25 mg, and give the same reasoning and rationale.

If you want a benzo to calm you down during a trip, while still keeping the trip well-alive, that might be very hard to do, because a benzo will just fade it out in a certain way and the whole remainder or the trip will not be as intense. But, if you want a benzo to have just in case the trip is too anxious, and you are willing to sacrifice it, I'd say 10 mg Valium, 0.5 mg Xanax, 1 mg Ativan, or 0.5 mg Klonopin would do the job in wiping away nearly all of the anxiety, but then a good deal of the trip, too. That would be to, really, kill the trip. And, those are solid therapeutic doses for someone with no benzo tolerance.

I think in your case a low dose of the usually considered gentle psychedelics (al-lad, 4-ho-met, 2c-c, ...) would work best. Sure have some benzos just in case but no need to take them unless it really gets bad.

I love doing this with mxe...never tried with normal psychs though, but it makes the mxe experience much better and doesn't dull the psychedelica for me

Benzos deaden trips for most people. Anxiety is part of the trip.

This 100%.
Most of the time anxiety while tripping is caused by a real life issue that you need to work through, and as such facing that anxiety is much more rewarding than trying to avoid it.
If anything save the benzo until and unless things get so intense that you can't handle it, then pop it. A buddy of mine did this once during a very rough trip and not even an hour later regretted taking it instead of sticking it out.

The only times I've taken xanax during trips, it basically ended them. There have been a couple of occasions when I was on mushrooms and was suddenly thrown into lame social situations (I have social anxiety as it is) that made me want to not be tripping anymore. The last time I only took 0.5 mg xanax and it pretty much brought me to baseline mentally, but I still continued to experience some light visuals for a while after that. I definitely think that taking a benzo at the beginning of a trip would pretty much overpower whatever else it is that you've taken, unless it was a super high dose. Just try to trip in a setting where your anxiety won't be so much of an issue. Determine the things that trigger your anxiety while sober and do whatever you can to avoid those things while tripping, that's my advice.