View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Psychedelics as anti dissociatives

Freeotrope

Bluelighter
First I have very little experience with the dissociative drug class and don't know what those experiences are like. I am referring to my experience and knowledge of trauma related dissociation, and my observations of something similar in the general population in America. I hope my use of the word dissociation isn't confusing or misleading.

I think it is common for people to learn to avoid and suppress aspects of their direct experience, for example fear. By focusing on a conceptual model of the world and ignoring the sensations of fear in our bodies, we can sort of pretend like we don't feel the fear. The exact things that people dissociate from may vary from person to person. Sometimes we are socialized to be a certain way at a young age and dissociate from parts of us that don't fit with that socialization. We can ignore this in the conceptual model, we can conceptualize ourselves to fit with the social expectations, but we can't stop the feelings or impulses or direct experience in the body/emotions.

I've done a lot of meditation, which is a practice that tends to focus on direct perception of sensations. If I have lost track of myself and lost touch with mindfulness of the body and senses, meditation is at first anxiogenic. There is stress and tension and pain in the body that is related to dissociation from the body, from chronic habitual avoidance of things like fear and even the sense of intimacy with the sensory fields. By further paying attention, the tension and pain of avoiding things fades, and the direct experience of the sense fields is left and there is much less reactivity. It can be difficult to go through because there is a period where the pain appears to intensify. After getting through this hump, I can relax into a deeper acceptance of the things I was unconsciously avoiding.

I think psychedelics work much like this, except that rather than directing the mind to the sense fields, psychedelics turn up the volume on the sense fields to a degree where they can no longer be avoided. I experience a similar pattern with psychedelics as with meditation. I take the psychedelic and soon the stuff that has been habitually avoided or ignored gets louder and louder. This is the discomfort of the initial stage of taking a psychedelic. This intensifies until I allow it, and then there is a similar transition to a more grounded, less reactive state. One of the traits of this state, both with psychedelics and mediation, is greater clarity and insight because the avoidance/dissociation creates a lot of confusion and obscures a lot of what is really happening and enables a lot of projection.

Does this resonate with anyone else? Is this completely different than your experience? I'm curious to know if other people experience this, or not. Also please let me know if this just doesn't make any sense at all :rolleyes:;)

Oh yeah, this resonates alright. Next time someone asks me about what psychedelics do to you, I'm showing them this as part of my explanation.

For sure, that's the defining feature of psychedelics. They manifest ("dēleín") what's in the mind/soul ("psyché"). They usually bring to the surface what is repressed. I recently had a very healing experience with a very small dose of mushrooms where I managed to get out a lot of unprocessed emotions regarding recent events.

Interesting and insightful explanation, but the feeling of dissociatives is completely different than what i've as a child experienced ranging from derealization, mental breakdowns, psychotic breaks and dissociative personality disorder; or in general detachment from life - but they can be used to suppress negative thoughts/memories and also physical pain as they're anesthetics.

To think of dissos as another class besides psychedelics would be wrong as they are / can be very psychedelic, its just that most people use them for different reasons (which we have stated). I personally definitely count them as psychedelics. On the other hand all of "your" classic psychs have been nothing but pleasant to me, as i can't trip, but they do make me feel more alive and experience things more deeply and some of them are my all-time favorite drugs.

My experiments with that side of dissos ranged from full-head-on nightmare mode trip with no visuals or hallucinations whatsoever to VERY uncomfortable (but positive) detachments and shifts in perspective whilst deconstructing every negative aspect of my life which were presented fully and completely, there have also been utterly beautiful thinking/dreaming states with fascinating closed-eyes-visuals.

All in all definitely a class of drugs worth trying.

Last edited:
Do beware that the English language breaks down around these topics as the word "dissociation" gets overloaded with multiple meanings indeed.

But yes that's why I sometimes do try and pair up dissociation and meditation, even though bluelight doesn't always like the sitting down doing nothing part of it. Though it's the very crux of the mechanism of addiction to not just be fine with not doing anything and let the thing happen whatever it is.

Miaohm, as the sphynx would have said.

Should have said.

You get me.

@Freeotrope
the title made me avoid this topic, as dissos (except salvia) are not my thing (maybe if I could have tasted MXE that has been highly praised but is no longer a thing...).

but your writing resonated very strongly with me. and I basically concur with your insight in this matter.

I would say sensory signals last longer on psychedelics (and many other drugs as well including dissos) before fading, rather than simply having the volume turned up like Huxley's valve metaphor. And I extend that to all mental forms (eg ideas, memories, feelings) lasting longer than usual - sensory input is just one of the types of mental forms that arise and pass away in the stream of consciousness. When mental formations last longer before fading, the overall effect is that they stack up or layer together, which can feel difficult, and then become amusing or even delightful chimeric hallucinations.

Last edited:
Jumping on to what @pupnik said, it's my observation/belief that the signals do last longer, and the cause of it is that the resonance in our mental circuitry is turned up on psychedelics. If anyone has played around with echo effects, or resonant filters, it's as if the feedback gain/resonance is turned up in our minds. You can see this quite tangibly with tracers, and analogous auditory trippiness. It also occurs with memories, ideas, and all mental phenomena under psychedelics.

They for sure are. In my experience, they offer two different things. Polar opposites in many ways even. On psychedelics I feel deep introspection, question things for what they are, re-evaluate my life for what it is. Am I doing enough for me, the people I care about etc. On dissociatives I also feel deep introspection at times, but from a much different perspective. Its detachment from everything I was knew, reconsidering life for what it is, rather than my life as a whole if that makes sense? Very random, but when I am on Ketamine space is just fascinating to me, I often catch myself staring into the dark skies just... Falling into what I see. It makes me feel so small, very humbling really. I find myself questioning why we wake up and do shit every day, what's the point? In very strange, but not all saddening/depressing way. On psychedelics, at least for me, thoughts like that are very revolting. Everything has a purpose on psychedelics, on dissociatives, I feel inner peace and lack of. Almost like I don't even need it.

I would say sensory signals last longer on psychedelics (and many other drugs as well including dissos) before fading, rather than simply having the volume turned up like Huxley's valve metaphor. And I extend that to all mental forms (eg ideas, memories, feelings) lasting longer than usual - sensory input is just one of the types of mental forms that arise and pass away in the stream of consciousness. When mental formations last longer before fading, the overall effect is that they stack up or layer together, which can feel difficult, and then become amusing or even delightful chimeric hallucinations.
Jumping on to what @pupnik said, it's my observation/belief that the signals do last longer, and the cause of it is that the resonance in our mental circuitry is turned up on psychedelics. If anyone has played around with echo effects, or resonant filters, it's as if the feedback gain/resonance is turned up in our minds. You can see this quite tangibly with tracers, and analogous auditory trippiness. It also occurs with memories, ideas, and all mental phenomena under psychedelics.
I've experienced the lingering frames with tracers, and something like this in the audio field, which might be lingering frames, and something similar in the somatic field. with the auditory and somatic the frame stacking doesn't seem to be evenly spaced so the different frames seem to go in and out of phase with each other