View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and weed anxiety

lieff

Greenlighter
On my first time smoking pot I took a bong hit and had a panic attack. It got from my heart beats going fast to the point where I thought I was going to die, it was terrifying. I was in a bad set and setting, It was shit weed, I smoked a lot for a first time, and the unpleasent feeling in my chest got me in a thought loop that I was sure I was having a heart attack. Smoked a lot of times after that, sometimes it was enjoyable, sometimes it wasn't although nothing even close to what happened in the first time. Even when I had those unpleasent sensations I already knew what it was so I just waited for it to go away. I tried 1/4 tab of LSD (tested with ehrlich and supposedly 120ug) and I could say I felt something but still wasn't even close to a psychedelic experience. Thing is, I don't think I like weed. Does that necessarily means I won't enjoy psychedelics neither? If I get anxiety on weed does that necessarily means psychedelics would be even worse? thanks!

Welcome! Certain people are much, much more sensitive to psychedelics than others, meaning their threshold dose is a small fraction of what others seem to be comfortable taking, so in general, never mind what people say. If you are prone to anxiety, steer clear of psilocybin, and never smoke weed before/during your trip. Start off with 1/2 tab (60ug) of LSD or ALD-52, and do that amount several times to establish your equilibrium. Advance no more than 1/4 tab (30ug) after that, and in general, dose only once in a session. IMHO, the best policy is always START SMALL AND INCH FORWARD. It's a bit like snow skiing, this - better to really take your time working up to those higher, more difficult ski runs.

peace and love

Last edited:
always START SMALL AND INCH FORWARD. It's a bit like snow skiing, this - better to really take your time working up to those higher, more difficult ski runs.

That's what I'm trying to do, but it's hard to find safe places to trip on acid, I wouldn't do it at a party or on the streets. Taking set and setting in consideration, I'm thinking about going to an ayahuasca ceremony. It is legal for religious purpuses here in Brazil and there is a safe, reliable place that promotes ayahuasca rituals just a few miles from where I live. I did a holotropic breathwork session with the guy that leads the xamanic rituals, it was an amazing experience and he invited my for the ayahuasca ceremony next month. thank you for the reply!!

I can?t use either these days without a benzo flowing through the bloodstream.

Too uncomfortable.

which annoys me whilst being on psychs. Always wondering if I?m dampening the experience.

Best cevs for me was a decent dose of psilocybin subs, followed by a couple bowls.

i can only fit good experiences in as a solo run these days. Most drug users in my area just take meth. And whilst tripping on lsd it ain?t that great

Honestly in general weed is much more prone to causing anxiety than psychedelics, except high doses of psychedelics. I get more anxiety from weed than most other drugs. For some people it seems to help with anxiety, and it does with me sometimes, but other times it makes it much worse. However, if a psychedelic trip goes wrong it can produce much more intense anxiety. In general, though, I find psychedelics like LSD to be pretty easygoing until I hit a high dose. Some psychedelics, like mushrooms, cause more anxiety than LSD. It depends on the drug. If you're really curious to trip, just try increasing the dose slowly. Like a half hit next time, then 3/4, then 1, etc. It helps to have a benzo on hand in case you start to panic, just having one on hand gives you peace of mind.

Honestly in general weed is much more prone to causing anxiety than psychedelics, except high doses of psychedelics. I get more anxiety from weed than most other drugs. For some people it seems to help with anxiety, and it does with me sometimes, but other times it makes it much worse. However, if a psychedelic trip goes wrong it can produce much more intense anxiety. In general, though, I find psychedelics like LSD to be pretty easygoing until I hit a high dose. Some psychedelics, like mushrooms, cause more anxiety than LSD. It depends on the drug. If you're really curious to trip, just try increasing the dose slowly. Like a half hit next time, then 3/4, then 1, etc. It helps to have a benzo on hand in case you start to panic, just having one on hand gives you peace of mind.

weed feels, at least for me, VERY anxiogenic most of the times I use it. It's not paranoia or anything like that, it's completely irrational, feels more like an adverse reaction to a medicine. Couple minutes after a few tokes and I start feeling anxiety symptoms. At least I'm able keep myself calm and avoid panic, although the unpleasent sensations are there. I'll try and get my hands on some clonazepam, it would make me feel a lot safer to try psychedelics, maybe I'll go for 1/2 tab next time...

Thing is, I don't think I like weed. Does that necessarily means I won't enjoy psychedelics neither? If I get anxiety on weed does that necessarily means psychedelics would be even worse? thanks!

Alexander Shulgin didn't like marijuana because he thought that while it was a somewhat pleasant high, unlike with classical (serotonergic) psychedelics, there was little potential for learning from the experience.
Ann Shulgin didn't like marijuana because it gave her quasi-psychedelic experiences that were dominated by paranoia.

If you're familiar with the Shulgins, you know they really liked their psychedelics (they wrote PIHKAL and TIHKAL, two books about the preparation and evaluation of literally hundreds of serotonergic drugs).

So no, liking weed is definitely not a prerequisite to enjoying psychedelics. In fact, you do not necessarily have to enjoy all classical psychedelics to enjoy the psychedelic experience in general. The Shulgins also didn't particularly like ayahuasca either, for example.

Weed was my first, (high school) but after LSD (end of high school) I discounted it tremendously.
After speed (university) and coke (after university) I found that weed created anxiety, which suggests that the stimulant high was evoked by the weed high.
But weed was always excellent for listening to music with my eyes closed and never made me nervous in that situation.
Then I got back into acid and shrooms, and only wanted them, but years later, I do find that weed, which is a strong psychedelic with intense physical sensory effects, is excellent for learning to relax and be open.
in fact, a good weed high for me is a challenge to relax that comes with a reward of great pleasure if you do relax, and this takeaway is huge and beneficial. Set Setting and Dose makes all the difference.

Weed causes me great anxiety a lot of the time, not always enough to make it bad but sometimes it's horrible...and I'm a regular, daily smoker. To me, the anxiety that can come with weed is not even comparable to what comes with the come-up of a trip....and on a good trip the come up is usually the most nerve-racking part.
If you don't like weed because of the anxiety that doesn't necessarily you'll dislike psychedelics. As stated above, set and setting are the most important factors in determining the outcome of the experience.

I agree completely. I am trying to quit smoking pot for this reason and having a lot of trouble psychologically. More trouble than with opiates, cognitively speaking, to actually follow through with it (not endure it).

If you are not used to smoking pot on a regular basis then I would avoid taking it with psychedelics, absolutely. It's too unpredictable and can cause anxiety reactions (weed). If you are a pothead and used to it then you won't get anxious unless you are not stoned (if you are anything like me, I feel normal stoned and abnormal without it), by all means smoke your weed on psychs it will enhance the visuals and help with the nausea.

I wish I didn't get addicted to it though, kind of irritating when I can kick heroin cold turkey and never look back but I can't seem to work my way through the psychological mindfuck of a mild plant that is to be honest really holding me back at this point, 15 years later. I'd have liked to grab a gram of DiPt instead of more weed so I need to get a grip on that. I've wanted to try DiPt so bad and finally sourced it. Chose my weed habit instead. Just on sublingual 5-meo-dmt a little at the moment thinking of my life choices.

Your reaction to cannabis in my view has little bearing on how you'll react to psychedelics. I know plenty of happy and stable people who can't smoke pot as they get panic attacks from it. I'd be cautious at first if you are going to give them a try though, and if you don't like weed make sure not to ever smoke it!