View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and Language

Beenhead

Bluelight Crew
I was once a everyday member of Bluelight, for about a decade. Life got in the way, and I found it best to take my leave from moderating and focusing on more important areas of life.

The psychedelic experience has shaped me in many ways throughout my life from my choice of profession to the clothes I wear and music I listen to. Even though I have not tripped in several years, the memories and experiences have never left me.

I recently went out to South Texas for work, and the beautiful Navajo styled patterns, the desert, and the slim possibility of coming upon Peyote in Big Bend got me thinking about my times when time stood still.

I never got the opportunity to try DMT, and have been thinking about doing this very soon. I have started reading a lot of Terrence McKenna, more pointedly, "True Hallucinations".
He speaks of his experiences on DMT and Psilocybin, where language is seen, felt, and heard. Strange words that make no sense have meaning; true Glossolalia. He described it to the plant speaking, or a force beyond his world speaking to him, and he speaking to it. His brother had a similar experience. And in someway, this was very important either existentially or perhaps for the action of the drug on the brain.

I had a very similar experience, and usually do when I trip on tryptamine compounds. I hear the auditory hallucinations, but in the peak of the trip they meld with the visions, and the synesthesia already being experienced to form a language, some thing I felt described the "fabric" , or the essence of the world in my brain unfolding. The words I always found to describe, and look like the hallucinatory realm sounded like this:

Widgims (sounds like widget but u instead of it) &
Wixtracies ( like a matrice... but wiz instead of mate)

It's like these sounds perfectly explained the places... the labyrinth of endless and infinite geometry and cosmic architecture I found my self in.

My question- who has had this type of experience, what are your thoughts on how language, and speech are affected by psychedelia, and what if any, weird words have you better out in the midst of hallucinating that you though either explained it all or described your current feelings?

I had this kind of thing on ETH-LAD.

Nurzlesnurf
Wayamblesquanch

These sounds/words were simultaneously nonsensical and completely encapsulating this realm of inside out possibility that I had experienced. I wasn't aware of the words during the depths of the trip, the kind of popped out with me as I returned to earth, like postcards from the other side.

I have some pretty loosely formed ideas about where this stuff comes from. I guess it's a Logos type of thing, like the sound/word actually is the synaesthetic reflection of the experience/concept/mental space. Sometimes I think the word can actually communicate the thing to another person, when it resonates in a similar way in their mind.

I feel like I have a glimmer of understanding about what "Wixtracies" are, but how can I know if it's the same as for you? How can I know how you perceive the colour red?

I've had exactly what Terence McKenna describes on DMT. It was kind of like a hickup or something, the same sense of urgency and lack of control, of a thing automatically being forced along your throat and out through your mouth. Except it was some kind of weird... Object... That's as close as I can get to describing it.

It happened after I resisted breaking through the "chrysanthemum". It was weird.

Everything has a certain frequency, vibration, and energy to it so it's not surprising that we have these experiences with seemingly nonsensical words while tripping. Many of the chants, incantations, and mantras from early SE Asian religions/philosophies are never translated because they are said to strongly hold certain energies within them, ala Aum and other mantras.

I had this kind of thing on ETH-LAD.

Nurzlesnurf
Wayamblesquanch

These sounds/words were simultaneously nonsensical and completely encapsulating this realm of inside out possibility that I had experienced. I wasn't aware of the words during the depths of the trip, the kind of popped out with me as I returned to earth, like postcards from the other side.

I have some pretty loosely formed ideas about where this stuff comes from. I guess it's a Logos type of thing, like the sound/word actually is the synaesthetic reflection of the experience/concept/mental space. Sometimes I think the word can actually communicate the thing to another person, when it resonates in a similar way in their mind.

I feel like I have a glimmer of understanding about what "Wixtracies" are, but how can I know if it's the same as for you? How can I know how you perceive the colour red?

You sir hit the nail on the head. It is very strange how tryptamine psychedelics not only produces synesthesia in the normal sense of the word, but also, sort of blend them all together into some strange super sense where language become apart of the fabric of space and time. And in some way this is all right in front of you, if not right in your head