Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Psychedelics and Chemotherapy

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I’d like to discuss my experience with chemotherapy and psychedelics. Before starting I’ll mention I won’t get too specific on my cancer as it could be used to ID me I suppose.

I’ve been dealing with cancer for about 8yrs, started as some lumps and I knew almost immediately what it was but couldn’t accept the reality of the situation. I despise traditional western medicine after watching them fuck my dad over, as well as myself in times previous. I tried everything over those years to get rid of it, and for awhile it seemed like it was working. (It’s a faster growing cancer so was unbelievable to the doctors I’d had it so long.)

But life is life and times got tough where I began slipping on my health habits, and before I knew it I needed to get it addressed ASAP. I was in a lot of pain. First a surgery which is what it is, not here to get into that. But then came chemo...

Idk if anyone here has had done chemotherapy of any kind before, but I don’t wish that on my worst enemy truly. 3mos of daily puking, barely any sleep, couldn’t handle loud noise, couldn’t watch TV, many days I just sat in darkness trapped in my own mind.

I had to use odansetron and cannabis for nausea, and lorazepam just to relax my stomach and mind enough just to get my ass in for treatments. It wasn’t a day to day process, it was minute to minute. I prayed constantly, to anyone willing to listen.

When it was all said and done I was left a physical and emotional mess. I threw up every day for a month after my last my treatment my body was still so fucked. Anxiety so bad I couldn’t talk to anyone but my wife. Depression that felt endless. I had just survived but for this?

The best way to describe the feeling is like a couple of times where I was in bad opiate withdrawal and decided to spend a night drinking and doing crack. The combined withdrawal/hangover is similar to how it feels on chemo but never ending. Day in, day out. About the only comfort I got was laying in the hot shower. It was horrible.

That’s where the psychedelics came in.. Before starting treatments I did a Mescaline experience which helped ready me for what was to come.

Then after I started to use them to rebuild myself as a person. These chemo drugs “attenuate neurogenesis, particularly the hippocampus” aka they’re neurotoxic. Well funny thing is these amazing medicines cause neurogenesis in that very brain region. I figured they’ve brought me out of deep dark mindstates before they could do it again.

Unlike my past use I kind of scheduled it a bit more, I kept it in my mind I might need to get a few experiences in before things solidify back to the way they used to be. I averaged once a week or so, mostly with LSD, DMT, and low dose Ketamine.

My first experience was LSD I believe, I ate half a dose which is fairly strong experience with what I get. I’d had this dose plenty before and was familiar with it. I barely felt a thing.

It was like my brain was broken, but towards the end of the “trip” I started to feel a breakthrough, a brief fleeting feeling that told me I was on the right track.

I had a slight afterglow after that one but quite quickly descended back into that horrible anxious/depressed state. (Lorazepam WD wasn’t helping I’m sure.)

About once a week I made sure to have an experience and sure enough with each one I felt more and more myself, with longer afterglow and feeling of normalcy.

About 2mo after my last treatment I had two experiences which together seemed to be the final death blows to my detached/off mental state.

A DMT experience where once again was feeling little. I cried out in my mind, “please just let me feel something!!” As soon as I said that my ears began to ring with the carrier wave and an insectoid looking device with 8 arms came through a portal. It could be best described as an arachnid looking dentist light that they use to hover over your face.

The 8 arms went to work, just like my trip report years ago where aliens worked on my brain, this was very similar. Last time though was a single beam directed in a specific location, while these 8 arms seemed to be moving at lightning speed shooting lasers into my head making what appeared to be minor fixes. (Makes sense with the nature of chemo toxicity.)

After that experience I felt like most of the anxiety had left but still had the depression.

A couple weeks later I had a candyflip with my family, the roll was amazing, the conversations were great, it was nice being with family after everything going on.

That was it, the afterglow from that experience never really dipped back into “bad” levels. I’ve been pretty damn happy and motivated ever since. Pretty much right after that experience I started working again, and besides memory issues still feel happy.

Just saw my doctor and they were all beaming with smiles at how good I’m doing, shocking considering they said it might take me 6-12mos to fully recover. When I told him I’d been working he kinda told me I should slow my roll, which I take as a compliment lol.

I was able to get my mental state back, which allowed proper habits to return like good meals and exercise. Even after all the atrophy of no movement for 3mos I’m nearlt back to where I was before with my body. Exercise was hell in the beginning, especially with no veins left, but with the help of psychedelics found it in me to push through

I can’t say enough about how much I appreciate having these substances in my life. They add so much richness and seem to guide me in the right direction every time I am in need. Maybe they just connect with something higher?

I’m definitely skimming over a lot of things so any questions I’ll do my best to answer. But I would definitely recommend psychedelic use for people in all stages of cancer.

My buddy has been fighting leukemia and finds mushrooms helps a lot with his PTSD associated with this shit. This disease is damaging in so many ways, these drugs allow us to accept wherever we may be at with it.

-GC

Wonderful post. Sure would love to see you on PM :

I'm sorry to hear your situation GC, but it's cool to read what you've made of it. I've personally seen a cancer patient on standard protocol slowly wither away before my eyes, I'm glad you've been able to empower yourself instead because you sure as hell could use it no doubt about that. Hell is a bold perma-nauseous person behind a glass wall.

I'm not sure about recommending psychedelic use for "all stages of cancer", though. Growth hormones like the psychedelically induced BDNF boost immune function as well as the tumors themselves, so the net effects could conceivably vary from cancer to cancer. I haven't looked deeply into it, but until we know more it's worth noting that it's probably best that people remain considerate of specific circumstances when deciding to take matters into their own hands. I approve of medical autonomy in general, but it's complicated stuff we should never underestimate.

This was great to read! Keep fighting the good fight! It's wonderful to know that you've been able to so profoundly heal yourself by using psychedelics as medicine. And equally wonderful to know that we are finally allowing research on them to continue after so many decades of complete prohibition. It is clear that for treatment of mental/emotional afflictions, they can be miraculously healing. The results of research studies as well as anecdotal accounts like yours show it quite clearly.

I wish very much that my dad hadn't been so against drugs of any kind that aren't prescribed. He had ALS and had a long, slow 7 years of regressing from a vibrant, wonderful man who was the backbone of our family and an inspiration to a great many people, to a fully paralyzed, anxious, bitter shell of a man. The first 3 years, he could still be pretty independent and was in good spirits and had some really beautiful emotional growth and perspective, but once he became a burden to others, his nature didn't allow him to accept that and he became utterly miserable. The last 2-3 years of his life were hell for him, he literally told me he feels like he's in hell 100% of the time. It was very traumatic for all of us, especially him. He wouldn't even try weed/CBD to slow it down, despite quite a few reports of people slowing down their ALS progression, even when it became legal in his state. My brother and I tried to talk to him about it but it was just a flat no, absolutely not. The worst part was seeing his faith destroyed and anxiety and anger/bitterness just totally destroy him. I keep thinking that psychedelics could have helped him to come to terms with what was happening. I don't know if it's true, but certainly what his doctors did was not anywhere remotely approaching a holistic approach... they prescribed him benzos for anxiety, various things for sleep, and morphine for pain. meanwhile, they completely ignored the deep existential crisis he was experiencing, didn't even address it.

Last edited:
I don't have cancer, but I take methotrexate, which I understand is also used to treat cancer patients. I also take psychedelics, and I would say that both your experience and mine are testament to the value of combining conventional and natural medicine. I would say that they not only create a synergy, but an alchemy which is impressive to witness its effects in my life.

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the support this forum has given me, this is truly a special place and kinda pissed at myself I didn’t see it sooner!

I'm sorry to hear your situation GC, but it's cool to read what you've made of it. I've personally seen a cancer patient on standard protocol slowly wither away before my eyes, I'm glad you've been able to empower yourself instead because you sure as hell could use it no doubt about that. Hell is a bold perma-nauseous person behind a glass wall.

I'm not sure about recommending psychedelic use for "all stages of cancer", though. Growth hormones like the psychedelically induced BDNF boost immune function as well as the tumors themselves, so the net effects could conceivably vary from cancer to cancer. I haven't looked deeply into it, but until we know more it's worth noting that it's probably best that people remain considerate of specific circumstances when deciding to take matters into their own hands. I approve of medical autonomy in general, but it's complicated stuff we should never underestimate.

Yea your right I thought about that comment after and probably should have edited it. It can be difficult to take psychedelics in the throes of it too, I’m not sure it’s evrn possible to stomach them when your in the deep of chemo. And as you said, they may negatively interact with the chemotherapy.

But they were a blessing on the before end to prepare myself for what’s to come. I remember my last experience before my surgery in 2019, while the thought of surgery up until then had made me sick, this experience showed me I wasn’t removing a part of myself because it was no longer me.

That experience was interesting too because during that one I just straightvup decided “I’m getting this addressed now!” It seemed so obvious and simple in that state of mind. I called that same week and got in to the doctor.

The only worry I have in regards to psychedelics and cancer is what correlation may there be between neurogenesis properties and possibly inducing and speeding up tumor growth. While I’m fairly certain any connections are minimal I do worry about it.

That said I did have a faster growing form and it progressed amazingly slow so maybe my psychedelic use wasn’t too bad on it? Who knows.

This was great to read! Keep fighting the good fight! It's wonderful to know that you've been able to so profoundly heal yourself by using psychedelics as medicine. And equally wonderful to know that we are finally allowing research on them to continue after so many decades of complete prohibition. It is clear that for treatment of mental/emotional afflictions, they can be miraculously healing. The results of research studies as well as anecdotal accounts like yours show it quite clearly.

I wish very much that my dad hadn't been so against drugs of any kind that aren't prescribed. He had ALS and had a long, slow 7 years of regressing from a vibrant, wonderful man who was the backbone of our family and an inspiration to a great many people, to a fully paralyzed, anxious, bitter shell of a man. The first 3 years, he could still be pretty independent and was in good spirits and had some really beautiful emotional growth and perspective, but once he became a burden to others, his nature didn't allow him to accept that and he became utterly miserable. The last 2-3 years of his life were hell for him, he literally told me he feels like he's in hell 100% of the time. It was very traumatic for all of us, especially him. He wouldn't even try weed/CBD to slow it down, despite quite a few reports of people slowing down their ALS progression, even when it became legal in his state. My brother and I tried to talk to him about it but it was just a flat no, absolutely not. The worst part was seeing his faith destroyed and anxiety and anger/bitterness just totally destroy him. I keep thinking that psychedelics could have helped him to come to terms with what was happening. I don't know if it's true, but certainly what his doctors did was not anywhere remotely approaching a holistic approach... they prescribed him benzos for anxiety, various things for sleep, and morphine for pain. meanwhile, they completely ignored the deep existential crisis he was experiencing, didn't even address it.

Much appreciated man! And really sorry to hear about your dad.

Around the same time my cancer was getting to painful levels my wife got a call that her dad had brain cancer. Glioblastoma. One of the worst diagnoses in terms of survival rate, less than 5% make it 5yrs.

He’d never even heard of CBD before, good ol Christian man who still believed cannabis was wrong.

I came at him with all the research, especially the stuff showing CBDs possible effect on Glio’s and how it’s particularly good at fighting that type of cancer. Thank god he actually was open and receptive, seeing it as the lord sending him help.

He and his wife went out and got a bunch of CBD, and long story short the man is still alive today. He’s 2yrs in now, 75% die within the first year, only 9% make it 2yrs. So he’s one lucky dude, and he’s in that camp of long term survivors.

If you ask him what saved him he’ll tell you Jesus and his faith but part of me feels his CBD use might have something to do with it too.

It kills me to know this drug war ideology has taken loved ones from us that we can’t get back. My heart goes out you..

-GC

Wonderful post. Sure would love to see you on PM

Agreed. Excellent thread. I just wanted to say much respect to you @G_Chem. Threads like this are what make facts and figures on how psychedelics can help. Before this thread you had mentioned these issues and I had a lot of respect for you there too. This thread knocks it out of the park. This deserves to be documented in any literature on psychedelics.