View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic thought loops/issues

foolsgold25

Bluelighter
Can anyone help with an issue I’ve been having whilst tripping?

I took Mushrooms yesterday (Pan Cyans) and I seem to return to the same place each and every time. Almost 7 years ago, 2 years ago & then today I get this exactly feeling.

After one hour I think of this phrase”wibbledy wobbly” “wibbledy” - I’m not sure if it is that thought or if my brains trying to think and it’s looping and it somehow feels like this sound/thought? There is no vocalisation of it, just the thought. It feels like I am“thinking” this over and over again, I also get the feeling that this thought is burrowing into my head like an insect and audio hallucinations of hearing high pitched screeching? This exact scenario happens each time I take Acid/Mushrooms) and it adds a bad vibe.
It literally appears and then I think “oh no not this again” and it has a feeling of being evil almost like some strange entity is creating it. I only took a light dose yesterday so I enjoyed the majority of the trip, first hour was beautiful & then as soon as these sounds kick in I start to just laugh to myself and think “oh no not this again”

Hour 1 - beautiful
Hour 1-3 frustrating and not good
Hour 3-5 chilled and trippy

I’ve told myself I’ll never take higher doses as this exact issue always comes up.
Is it something to do with my anxious brain? Over thinking? Would meditation help? There was zero fear during this trip and It almost became laughable as I was just riding it out waiting for the trip to be over.

I had that same experience that bloody thought loop sound but mine was a different word/sound it was "exuberance" and it made me have a bad trip, I thought lots of bad shit, I took acid once since then had another bad trip and now I'm scared to try again incase I get this bloody thought loop and bad vibe then anxiety and impending doom

Shrooms have a way of throwing me into thought loops. I remember getting stuck in a bad one my first time with them where I was running up and down the stairs of a friend's house. When I got to the bottom I'd forget why I went down, I'd go back to the top and remember, and I'd do this over and over again until someone finally broke me out. As counter productive as it seems blasting through to a higher dose can solve this problem in my experience. The thought loops seem to come from attempting to control the trip. The old advice of "let go" is the only way out.

A respect for the substance is healthy and you shouldn't feel like you have to go deeper. Just try to enjoy it for what it is. Thought loops are normal especially with mushrooms. Perhaps mushrooms aren't for you or you're attempting to get something out of them that isn't there. That's okay, there are plenty of other substances that may have what you're looking for. Sobriety is nice too.

That's the thing about memory, and thinking, something (pattern) gets associated with something else (a different pattern) and sticks in memory - if either pattern gets energized by some related sensation or thought recollection occurs - repetition strengthens the recall connection - even if the connection is nonsense. Looping gets stronger by looping because it is repetition.

Memory is so amazing, and thinking is also amazing, but it is all about associations of things we experience and bring together. Rhythm is a kind of form (pattern) that we often explore; looping back through a rhythm is a good way to re-examine a complex of patterns. So you may, by looping, learn something new, or not. but the mind is a thing that connects impressions and applies those connections when new impressions arise.

You can break out of that by relaxing, and feeling your breath, and your body position, and remembering that the effect is a natural effect of memory and thinking. This is like a meditation, and the effort of following the in-breath and the out-breath can replace the loop (breathing is a loop - so we are not cheating, just steering).

I have often seen dogs looping as they circle to find what might be a comfortable position before lying down. While looping they check what they see and hear and feel, and then when they get back to the best spot they lie down. Watching nature is a good way to learn things about the self or the mind.

Last edited: