• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Over-usage Causing Bad Trips?

Zalo

Bluelighter
Hey BlueLight,

Over the past 2 months I've tripped about 5-6 times. I've noticed that the feeling of 'losing my mind' became more prominent the more I used it. This isn't the first time and as such I'm deciding to take a break until I've integrated all my experiences and feel ready to trip again. My last trip was a candyflip and that got really messy. I seem to lose the ability to influence the direction of my trip, so when a negative thought pops up I lose myself in it despite knowing how to deal with it.

I'm wondering if this is a common phenomenon among psychedelic users or if I'm just prone to these kinds of experiences. It feels like my brain needs to get a firm grasp on reality again before I can trip. My friends seem unaffected by their psychedelic usage though, but then again I do do it more often than them.

The drug will tell you if you're using it too much. You can be in a great frame of mind but if you use it too much you'll have a bad trip. I did acid 3 times in a week a couple weeks back and the third trip was just bad. Take a break.

Hey BlueLight,

Over the past 2 months I've tripped about 5-6 times.

It feels like my brain needs to get a firm grasp on reality again before I can trip. My friends seem unaffected by their psychedelic usage though, but then again I do do it more often than them.
Yep, there are no hard and fast rules about how often/infrequently to trip - but most experienced trippers I know have come to the conclusion that for best results (ie all the magical experiences/insights/perceptual distortions or whatever) the more time between each trip, the better.
Personally I find at least a month (if not 2 or 3) greatly enhances the quality of trips (taking everything else into account; set and setting etc).

Basically you need to give your receptors a rest.
Tripping is fun, but do it too regularly and the returns diminish IME

I'd say that with more experience IMO it gets easier to either just deal with the trip and let go, or to not step in when you have to...

not sure what is making you 'lose it', but yes I think you might want to give it a rest. Get balance in your life and don't try to get the deepest out of your trips so much. Maybe dose lower and learn to relax.

This happened to me too maybe 10 years back when I started doing shrooms on about a weekly basis for a few months... after awhile, it started to get to me. As someone above mentioned, if you look for the signs, the drug(s) will tell you you are using them too much.

• Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen. - Alan Watts

You can go back to it every now and then if you need or want, but if you spend your whole life or too much time looking into the microscope, you will, like you yourself said, start to lose a firm grasp on reality (despite constantly being shown the truth of its subtleties, and the subtleties of its truth).

Take a break. Psyches are meant to be used on an occasional basis. Listen to it, and your own mind/body. Don't abuse it or ignore the signs of overuse.

Last edited:
I don't get bad trips from that, but the trips become a bit boring... not really a tolerance thing, more like a been there done that feeling.

I don't get bad trips from that, but the trips become a bit boring... not really a tolerance thing, more like a been there done that feeling.

I, also, get that BTDT feeling with regular DMT usage even with DMT's relativey low ability to cause a lot of tolerance...
I do DMT ...well...a lot...but sex is sooo fucking good on that shit.
I've never done MDMA but it can't be that much better than IM DMT...could it?

I've never done MDMA but it can't be that much better than IM DMT...could it?

Just try it on DMT or acid. You will step to heaven =)

@topic:
Take a 1 month long break, then you won't have this feeling of "losing your mind".
and you'll also have more fun

I don't think feeling like you're losing your mind is anything to do with the drug. 5-6 times in 2 months isn't particularly heavy anyway. If you need a break, take a break. It's like with any activity - if you're sick of it don't do it for a while.