Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Off Switch

Pfafffed

Moderator: PD
Staff member
In what possibly looks like a way to shoehorn an LSD trip into an insurance billable time slot (or perhaps provide a backup for a session that's gone iff the rails,) MindMed says it has filed a patent application for, “a neutralizer technology intended to shorten and stop the effects of an LSD trip during a therapy session.”

I'm curious as to what it is. Current bets are on ketanserin as opposed to benzodiazepines, quetiapine, trazodone, mirtazapine, or varied antipsychotics. I'm not sure how they are going to patent it, though, since it's in the public domain. I guess we'd have to look at the patent application to see if it's a novel delivery method or something. The question I have is how an antagonist could kill an LSD trip. A phenethylamine or 4-substituted tryptamine, sure, but LSD's structure locks it into the receptor.

Anybody try aborting a trip with ketanserin?

I think people used to use small/moderate doses of oral Thorazine (chlorpromazine) to help end LSD experiences, back in the days of its initial widespread use in the 1950s and early 60s.

I’ve found quetiapine kills LSD trips efficiently - even heroic doses around 500ug. Does wipe you out the next day though and you lose a lot of the special wonder afterglow from your trip. I’ve relied upon 150-300 mg to do the job.

In my experience, the whole drawn-out comedown/etc of LSD (and any psychedelic) is part of the experience. Using a trip killer cuts short an important part of the experience. I don't know if this is a good idea. I think it isn't.

I've never used any sort of trip kill switch, and don't even know where to get anything of the sort so I'm stuck, but if it really does abort the comedown/afterglow then I have to say I don't think I want any part of it.
That is usually the most beneficial period of the whole experience for me.

Aborting a trip with queatiapine at 500 ug and weed on the peak during a short psychotic break was the most painful thing of my entire life as the drugs thought for control i was in limbo or hell just imbolised inside my own mind with painful body and mind it was hell only ever ever kill a trip if you are acutally fully fully gone psychotic and will most likely kill yourself or others.

In my experience, the whole drawn-out comedown/etc of LSD (and any psychedelic) is part of the experience. Using a trip killer cuts short an important part of the experience. I don't know if this is a good idea. I think it isn't.

Agreed completely, aborting a trip can leave a lot of unresolved problems since they weren’t faced.

All avenues should be attempted first but if someone is in a really bad place, it only takes just a little lorazepam to bring em out. The low dose of benzo calms the anxiety enough to allow the person to conclude the trip with “everything back in order.”

-GC

I've got risperidone, cyproheptadine, and ketanserin in my shit hit's the fan toolbox, but thankfully haven't had many issues a benzo couldn't solve. It just seems a much better approach to turn the intensity down, relieve some anxiety, and have some level of integration.

I'd be interested to read some reports on ketanserin used as an 'off switch', since the research I'm aware of is in blocking the psychedelic effect from occurring, rather than reversing it (but I could be wrong). The headspace of a heavy trip I want to abort doesn't seem like the ideal time to experiment with unproven things.

Ketamine has stopped a trip of mine in its tracks. But I haven't gone past dropping 2 90ug tabs in the same 40 min.

Ketamine has stopped a trip of mine in its tracks. But I haven't gone past dropping 2 90ug tabs in the same 40 min.

I’ve used Ketamine one time when some girl who I ran into had decided to try mushrooms for her first time after spending all day and night snorting cocaine.

Small amount maybe 10-15mg Max.

She quickly relaxed and promptly passed out in my cot which made the misses nun too happy lol. Afterwards she said it killed the anxiety and despair she felt at least and relaxed her, she was grateful I gave it to her.

That said K has the capability to cause even more problems if too much is given. It’s kinda like low dose benzo though in that it doesn’t just abort the trip but smooths out the edges for an easier landing.

-GC

Roots. // thorazine, haldol, risperdol \\ and if you wanna calm down, ativan or even xanax will make you more comfortable.

I was once given an IV shot of valium by a doctor while tripping balls. It was a beautiful experience in the moment but it did nothing to kill the strung out, can’t sleep, teeth grinding tail end of my trip. I was still wide awake and weirded out but chilled and uncomfortable in my skin all at the same time. May have been sketchy acid.

As I see it, these “trip killers” are only appropriate when the person under the influence is at serious risk of physically harming themselves or others. I have been there myself and I see no reason why a someone trying to heal would benefit from going through something like that.

Whaaaa? Ketamine makes trips WAY more intense for me, I'd never recommend ketamine to abort a trip lol.
Really? Crazy. I was tripping balls and tried 2 bumps of K for the first time, and most everything acid related ended!

It's probably not a smart idea to do on a regular basis, but I have found opioids can help manage bad trips...

It's probably not a smart idea to do on a regular basis, but I have found opioids can help manage bad trips...
be very careful with opioids on psychedelics i had a very heavy trip with codeine added into my lsd candyflip. I was at one point convinced i finally figured out what dark matter and energy was and was time travelling and seeing the infinite martix of gods mind. Then it turned super dark once weed was mixed in and was just hell visuals for the rest of the trip til the lsd wore off.