View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

psychedelic nanotechnology

<SpaceHead>

Bluelighter
I was thinking about the future of drugs recently and was wondering about the possibilities of nanotechnology drugs. Since nanotechnology operates at a molecular level, I wondered if it would be someday possible to design a molecular machine that could be a sort of programmable drug, possibly controlled by an outside source. People could design experiences to program into the machine, and maybe two or more people could take the drug and share the same experiences or even have telepathic communication. Does anybody know if someone has wrote about this idea before? Any thoughts on the idea?

Truely, psychedelic drugs are nanotechnology proper. (All drugs, in fact.)

The goal of interfacing the mechanism of drug action to cyborg components so that an experience can be cybernetically controlled externally is something which is already taking place on a very rudimentary level. Search for 'Deep Brain Stimulation'; in neuroscience, electrodes are implanted into particular areas of the brain in order to electronically stimulate various types of neural activity, according to the needs of the patient. In the future, I'm sure we will all have cybernetic implants in our brains and will be permantly connected to a hive mind. Hehe.

I think it'd be more feasible to have some sort of nanomachine that is able to produce different chemicals, either outside or inside the body. Like some outside input signal would make a solution of nanomachines churn out LSD, a different signal would make the same machines pop out 2C-E, etc. If you could get a stable nanomachine population that could survive long-term in the milieu of the body, then theoretically you could have some control panel, set the dose and push the LSD button, and pretty soon by trippin hard. Even that sort of thing, while definitely plausible, is way beyond our capacity today, and would likely require a fundamental revolution in our understanding of protein folding, intermolecular interactions, the body's internal environment, and a slew of other stuff. Definitely possible but probably still quite a ways off.

When you get into programmable/shared experiences or artificial telepathy, you're talking a whole new ballgame though. That would require a HUGE (and again, absolutely revolutionary) leap in our understanding of how the brain and consciousness operate, and an only slightly less gargantuan leap in our ability to manipulate and design molecules. In fact, it's hard to say whether or not this type of thing would even be at all possible, precisely because we have only the slightest, most rudimentary understanding of how the brain/consciousness operate.

Keep in mind though, DBS is usually started through random guess-and-check. As in they implant a whole bunch of electrodes in random areas, and start sending charges down to see what happens. While that is in itself amazing, it's still a whole different game than interfaced/telepathic experiences would be.

Well I bet there is certainly gonna be some place on the market for this. Even now you have many companies providing materials from custom made molecules. Lot of these materials can be used as a better medicine delivery carrier. For example this. Its not quite there yet but even now it is fully possible to make the medicine (and other drugs) to behave the way you want in the body and to increase the efficiency using nano-materials. The point is that with much deeper knowledge of the technology it should be one day possible to tailor molecules the way to avoid negative effects.

Congrats on performing necromancy on your very first post! ;)

Interesting idea in this thread.