Psychedelic Effects Profile Project

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
I am recruiting people for a study I am fielding about the subjective effects of the different psychedelic drugs. I call it the Psychedelic Effects Profile project, and for your part it is as simple as following this link to an outside web survey and spending about 5-10 minutes filling it out carefully and honestly.

You should fill this survey out for a specific experience on a specific psychedelic drug - no combinations of psychedelics. I encourage you to fill it out once for each psychedelic you've tried, whether it was a positive or negative experience, or whether it was strong or weak.

The Psychedelic Effects Profile Survey

This survey aims to collect data points for a number of background pieces of information such as dosage, method of administration, set and setting, and so forth. It then collects ratings on a wide variety of subjective effects in a range of categories, allowing you to rate each on a 1 to 5 intensity scale with an option for "do not experience this effect". Finally, some pieces of general demographic information are collected (optionally) at the end.

The purpose of this research is to attempt to provide an ever-growing database of information about the effects of each psychedelic drug as reported by their users. I am working on a web-absed front-end application which will interface this database for anyone to view the results for research or informational purposes. A user of this front end could, for example, look at a broad overview of the percentage of users who experience all of the different listed effects of, say, 2C-E, and the mean intensity level of these reported effects. This user could then apply a filter to view the results for only all users using a dosage of 18mg or less, and to get even more specific, for those who had used it for the first time, or for those who use psychedelics approximately once per month. Or perhaps the user wanted to know the percentage of people who reported feelings of euphoria when using mescaline as a crude cactus extract outdoors, alone, and the intensity level of this. Or to determine the percentage of people experiencing glossolalia from smoked DMT, between the ages of 25 and 34.

To my knowledge, nothing of this scope and complexity has been done before. As the number of responses we get grows, so too will the statistical relevance of the results grow as the base size increases. The applications of this public access database will be endless. So please help to be a part of building this database by following the link above and taking the survey for as many substances as you are able.

There is also a discussion thread in Psychedelic Drugs for this. It's been a community project there for a couple of years now. I came up with the idea in late 2007 and it has gone live in the past few months.

I am not affiliated with a university or any other organization, but I do work in the market research industry as my profession (as a programmer) so I know something about this type of research and its applications.

Thank you for your help with this! Comments welcome - I would like this to remain a community project, as it is motivated by my desire to provide a resource for the community, both here and the world as a whole. A good project should continue to evolve as it lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really excited about this project. It seems to me that it is truly an organic research project arising from the needs identified by the psychedelic community at Bluelight. While it may not be university-affiliated, it appears well-designed and thought through in more detail than many other studies we have seen here at DS.

I especially like the interactive database as a way of presenting this information in a meaningful way to individuals who are researching psychedelics. Rather than just reading through a bunch of trip reports, people will be able to drill down to specific characteristics of the drug, set and setting of other people's experiences.

Very exciting!

Just submitted an entry about my first LSD experience. I'll probably send in another about my latest LSD trip, and maybe one about my LSA experience about a year and a half ago.

Just finished one for our beautiful nc mushrooms, now one for 4-aco-met and i think ill go to bed

Thanks everyone for contributing :) It's especially valuable to take it for any of the rare substances as it will be hard to get large base sizes for those.

I've added a couple of questions to the end about marital/relationship status as well. If anyone has any ideas for additions or changes as they take the survey, please feel free to share them with me.

fatstep - Hickory is nice. :) I moved to Asheville a couple of years ago. Beautiful NC mountains indeed.

just did it, induced flashbacks thinking about all the questions. Based on my last psychedelic experience, which was with shrooms.

Very thoroughly written questionnaire, good job! Just filled out a DOI report, will probably do others at some point.

Thank you for participating. :) If you have any friends who use psychedelics you could point them to it too, perhaps? We're definitely getting a lot of responses but we need a lot more before it can become statistically significant. So also remember that you can fill it out for as many substances as you've taken.

Just finished one for 2c-I(not in the list but i wrote it in) and 2c-E, unknown dosages though sorry

BTW greatest idea, will be very helpful to me as i tend to research the fuck out of what i am about to take, and i am constantly doing long tedious searches for similar settings and dosages on trip reports
thank you

You're welcome. :) I'm glad to see that someone is imagining and desiring the result. :)

And by the way, 2C-I is definitely on the list. ;) I'll go in and change your answer to 2C-I though.

I'm going to have to get started on the database front-end site soon. So far we have the most responses for LSD, 21. Second most is 2C-E with 19. We really need at least 50 to start to have a significant enough base size to draw conclusions, although the more that are added, the better. I'd like to be able to have the first results to reach 50 be able to be viewed by the public.

I've just added NBOMe-2C-C and other 2C-Xs, as well as NBOMe-mescaline, and also 6-APB since it appears to be psychedelic and recently available. I periodically go through the Other responses of the substances to see if there is anything to add to the list. In this case there was. :)

Do you only want us to fill out this survey for recent experiences, or is it OK to delve back in our memories (with all the inaccuracies that may introduce)?

It's okay to delve back if you feel good about your memory. I think if you can only remember bits and pieces you shouldn't bother but if you remember enough to answer the questions, go for it. :)

It might be good to add a question for how long ago the trip was too now that you bring this up.

I did one for every substance I could, and I did several for mushrooms, on which I have had a lot of experience with and have had a lot of conflicting effects as far as the survey is concerned.

Also, I would insert a relationship option where "Short term/casual/new relationship", not everyone is either single or in a committed and long-term relationship but not single, not necessarily because the relationship isn't that; I had to sit for a long time and try to decide which category I fell in, I had just started a relationship two days prior to an experience and it was a little frustration. I picked "Committed but not married" in the end.

Epic survey, Xorkoth. I'm having as many of my friends (who are reliable and intelligent about their experiences, not the exaggerators) fill this out as well. You're doing good in an awesome way :D

Last edited:
Alright, thanks, and thanks for your suggestion. I'll put that in there. :)

And thank you for spreading this to your friends and taking it so many times! :)