View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Drunk

vortech

Bluelighter
Alcohol is a big problem in our society. For that matter, opiate addiction is also a growing concern world-wide. People are dying. The Alcohol and pharmaceutical narcotics cartels have made a mess of our culture. But there is hope. I believe we are at the cusp of a new age where we increasingly see the recreational use of these toxic substances being displaced by a growing movement that emphasizes the informed use of classical psychedelics, cannabis, empathogens and other classes of drugs such as dissociative hallucinogens as primary drugs of choice for recreational use. I am calling upon all psychonauts, researchers and explorers to rise up from the underground and take on our enemy in full force using the collaborative powers of social media, to come together in praise of the virtues of informed, responsible, and safe use of these relatively non-toxic drugs in place of alcohol and physically addicting pharmaceutical narcotics which have become the enemy of a free, empowered and enlightened population. We have the tools. We simply need to spread the word and make it comprehensive. By informing the masses that there is another way to have fun with augmented states of consciousness, we can collectively shift public perception and ultimately the public policy of these suppressed drugs. Alcohol isn't the only choice anymore, and it's definitely not the best choice. Furthermore, opiates and other pharmaceuticals are a horrible choice too as recreational drugs, compared to promise of classical alternatives such as psilocybin, ketamine, MDMA, and LSD, as well as the many promising novel psychoactives such as MXE, the 2Cs, and 4-subbed tryptamines to name a few of the shining stars of the underground research scene.
Anyway, this is a rant, but this is the line of thinking that is inspiring me to write a comprehensive guide book informing the safe use of alcohol and FDA-approved pharmaceutical alternatives. To me, psychedelic drunk is way more fun, safe, and empowering than intoxicated drunk. I think a lot of other people would agree with me, but the problem is that 99% of drunks don't even know what the hell MXE is, and until they feel like they are informed about it, they will be scared to try it. We need to get the word out before the mainstream media addresses the subject through their distorted lense corrupted by government and pharmaceutical/alcohol big-business lobbyists.

Empathogens and dissociatives, as well as some psychedelics can cause just as much...if not more damage than the drugs your comparing them to. I'm probably gonna get shit for this post but it's true. An MXE addict who is constantly in the "hole" is of less use than an alcoholic. Someone who abuses MDMA on a regular basis in place of meth is gonna be in for one hell of a wake up call. IMO the last thing we need is to get "the word" out, it's then that these chemicals will be banned. I think things are fine the way they are, going after certain types if people or drugs will solve nothing. There's always gonna be someone who prefers to justget drunk, or just take their prescription painkillers, or just smoke meth... that's just MY 2¢. Let the people do whatever drug they like, I fucking despise alcohol but I'll still take that shit over MXE, not ketamine though.

Social media can be an effective tool in bringing change, but the OP seems to want to go the route of Timothy Leary which has been proven to hinder the progress of understanding these drugs. Research into psychedelics is just starting to begin again after being abruptly halted in the 1960's, and another strong push by a group that can be portrayed/perceived as counter-cultural would only further slow the process.

Yeah It's a conundrum. The point of this post is that there are ways to responsibly use these drugs, and if they are presented in the right way, they could sufficiently displace the role of alcohol and pharmaceuticals to the overall benefit of society. I Understand that the approach must be considered carefully lest we risk another Leary-esque propaganda debacle.

^There IS responsible alcohol use too. Some of us enjoy our booze. As a general drug user, I enjoy all drug classes save for stimulants. I see no reason that people would ever replace booze with psychs; they are simply used for different situations. I'm not gonna take mushies and go out on a bar filled street and shout at people like a moron, I need alcohol for that. Sure booze encourages poor decisions, but I personally have never regretted drinking ever before.

You must also take into account that cannabis, booze, meth and opiates force a sense of well being in a sense, or more so offer high recreational potential; LSD, mushies, etc. are not entirely recreational. Yes they can be used as rec. drugs, but they don't always force the same good feelings that popular recreational drugs have. The reason people get addicted to rec. drugs is because they're almost always pleasant. You can't say that about many psychs. Don't get me wrong, I love psychs; however, I don't consider them recreational in nearly the same capacity as booze, pot and opiates.

The world isn't ready for psychs to burst onto the scene again. Things haven't changed much since the 60's. We don't need a new Tim Leary as others have stated.

I'm a psychedelic drunk. I enjoy both.

Here's to psychedelics, here's to alcohol, here's to *all* drugs when used responsibly
<3 :)

(except a few scary exceptions like 4-Chloroamphetamine with their nasty horrible neurotoxicity)

Don't get me wrong, a society without alcohol would be a society a lot better than a society without most other drugs, and a society based around cannabis or psychedelics would be a lot more peaceful, open-minded, there'd be less war, less problems - but do you think making a few social media posts is going to make someone who's anti-illegal-drugs go "Well hey they must be right I'll throw out my vodka and go grab some acid! Woohoo!" - it doesn't work like that. People are free to make their own choices and trying to encourage them to stop drinking is just like them trying to encourage you to stop tripping. Don't be a hypocrite, let people do the things they enjoy - and when that enjoyment turns into a problem, do your best to help them out. :)

I should have expanded upon the part about social media. What I meant is that we, the people who have a lot of experience in using these drugs safely, should be helping to inform the people who don't have this experience so that they can at least know that there are other ways to get inebriated safely without the use of alcohol. There is a whole other UNIVERSE going on, and I just see all these people who go about their lives thinking the only way to temporarily escape the hardships of life is to buy some alcohol and get intoxicated.

vortech I feel you, I really do. The reason I would be trepidatious, however, to have a publicized psychedelic renaissance is that everyone is different and as such psychedelics are not for everyone. I am not saying those of us who use are better than, I am simply saying that certain dispositions are more congruous with psychedelic drugs and others with alcohol or some other drug. Given this, I think it is best we avoid an "everyone should try it" approach as I am sure many of us have tripped with someone who was clearly not mentally/existentially/spiritually compatible with psychedelics and it was an unpleasant experience. I tripped with a friend once who was one such person and the trip affected him negatively for a few months after; he gets along swimmingly with alcohol. We certainly need to reform drug policy: less severe punitive measures for using; accurate and unbiased information about effects--especially from our own community, some of whom trumpet these drugs as a panacea for all existence's woes; and of course places and ways to use these drugs safely. I support bringing psychedelic drug use (and all drug use) to the fore of societal discussion but it cannot be mired in an arrogant "holier than thou" discourse that denigrates all other non-sober behavior. Of course I am not saying you champion this, I am just adding my opinion for what its worth.

Great post, it gets everyone thinking.

Thanks for the feedback Out_front. It is harsh and overgeneralizing to call alcohol and pharmaceutical narcotic abuse as the outright enemy of an empowered and enlightened population. I am not discounting the responsible and legitimate uses of both of these classes of drugs. Alcohol is fine in moderation and pharmaceutical opioids have their place in medicine, but we all know their abuse have also become a hindrance to collective progressive of humanity as a whole. Psychedelic medicines have the potential to become the antidote to this problem if we can successfully realize their corrective capacities.

The problem is that society stigmatizes and can ruin the lives or carreers of those that dare, "come out of the closet" as drug users.

I know it makes so much sense to us, but to the uninformed, you just sound like a pothead or junkie that doesn't know what they are saying because they are wacked out on drugs. People have been so brainwashed by the time they are middle aged adults that there is pretty much no undoing it....we are better off just waiting till that generation dies off. New generations will accept psychedelics more and more with each generation i think ...but trying to force it on society and speed up the process is just going to backfire in your face and ruin your own life and make others think poorly of you. I speak from experience, i would just keep it to yourself.