View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psycadelic auditory changes

kyehatton

Greenlighter
When listening to some of my favorite edm, particularly noisia, on psychedelic drugs, i can perceive the engineering in the songs much clearer. I am a producer myself, but i know that even non producers experience these improvements in how comprehend-able the music can become. When you reach a spiritual highpoint in the psychedelic experience, where you are conscious of the reality being of your own creation and your body feels completely different like you are watching it instead of being it, the perception of sound in music becomes so transparent and clear that it can lead to insights into its creation. My question is, if the psychedelic spiritual state, leads to these improvements in hearing, and the state is well known to be, if not resemble, normal say, Buddhist or Taoist perspectives of non duality, does this mean that when you are sober, and you achieve a state of non duality, or as i like to say, drop the mind and move behind it, will your hearing improve?
there is no way that the drug can be responsible for some of the changes in perception of sound. whereas the visual hallucinations are just distortions of what is already there, the hearing most definitely improves in all aspects.
In my experience of non dualistic states, even my eyesight improves.
i just want to hear someone elses input. I dont have alot of friends that experience these things to ask them. I havent fully realized the state yet, but i would like to know if there is some hearing improvement and visual improvement that is permanent if not indefinetle
so, what happens to you guys?

For me the effect is related to the sense of time passing combined with moments of thought and sensation as layers:
each moment fades more slowly so that it overlaps the previous (still fading) moments:
for sound it is a bit like extra reverb, but also extra clarity.
for vision it is a bit like slide transparencies but also each layer is still distinct
and for time itself, depending on how stoned or how many layers, well it will slow down, stop, speed up, or jump stop jump to moments that are still on the conscious stack.

As the layering effect sets in - elements of association - from memory as it were - become as clear as any other layer, and it is not possible to distinguish if a mental form or perception is all there from sensation, or is there because of "improvements" from the drug.

This begins to speak to your question, does it affect vision, yes very much.
Does it persist after the psychedelic has worn off, not quite, but, having found a way to see more from a short stack of visual moments, even when not on drugs, by concentration (meditation) or from emotional triggers, we can re-experience this alacrity.

If you're an audio engineer, you might appreciate this model of how psychedelics work:

PDs stimulate your neurons' serotonin receptors, which essentially turns up the gain knob on neurons and neural circuits involved in sensory processing, imagination, memory.. etc. This is why colours become more saturated, sound more vivid, feelings are stronger and so on. All these signals are literally turned up in your brain, and there is also some feedback going on. A lot of your brains circuits have feedback pathways, so when the gain goes up these circuits start to resonate, or even go into self-resonance, a bit like when you turn up the resonance on a filter, or turn up the feedback on a delay or reverb. This explains some of the geometric patterning, CEVs, aural hallucinations - these phenomena are an echo of how your brain is wired up.

IMO accomplished meditators do see/hear the world in HD. The meditation high, if you want to call it that, is achieved in a different way than drugs though; it turns down the useless chatter that distracts us from being present. In my own limited meditation practice, I've definitely noticed that after meditation, colours seem richer, conversations more profound, sounds more clear etc. This usually fades after a bit, it's not a permanent change. Meditators usually say that meditation is a practice, rather than something you are trying to achieve, so an accomplished meditator really might be living in HD because of continual meditation practice. Continually retraining the monkey mind to not race around.

Its like psychedelics make the music better by turning the volume up, meditation makes it better by stripping out the background noise. Either way the sensory field can become clearer.

I don't believe that a single drug experience, or a spiritual experience, or meditation experience will permanently put your brain into a mode where the sensory field is permanently switched into a richer mode. However, any one of this could be the initial spark that inspires a lifetime of effort that could lead to the kind of thing I think you're talking about. I don't think any monk would say that they dedicated their life to meditation so that shit would look cooler, but it's probably a handy side effect.