View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psilocybin trip too short?

The Happy Wanderer

Bluelighter
Last night I wanted to try a low dose of mushrooms for partying. I ingested them at home and waited for them to kick in, because I'm not very experienced with psychedelics (like 6 trips before)
The dose was 0.9 g of McKennaii Mushrooms. The were already ground. I chewed on them for a minute and then flushed them down, using some juice and water.
I then sat down to meditate but quickly changed to lying in bed.
I had pretty nice CEVs and some pain, which I somehow could managed to discuss with myself, so it subsided (at least I believe so...); After some time I even had OEVs, which was pretty nice.
I was pretty surprised how much such a small dose did.

Now, what puzzles me: THe trip was over very soon. Two hours after kick in (T+2,5h), there were not even any CEVs anymore. T+3h my thinking was also almost back to normal and I finally could sleep after T+3,5h.
I had experienced this before: My shroom trips are over very soon. I had experienced, that MDMA somehow ended my trip, like maybe overpowered it, but from what I read here I don't think that's true and now I have an only-shrooms experience and it also ended fast.

Is it just the dosage? Shouldn't there at least be one extra hour of tripping?

Thanks in advance!

^It sounds like it is mainly the dosage here. Mushrooms don't last for a huge length of time- 5-6 hours for me, with some residual effects for a while after. Taking a low dose will still effect you for the same length of time- but, after say 3 hours, the amount of psilocybin still active in your body is going to be a very small amount, to the extent that it may be imperceptible. If it bothers you, or you want it to last for longer but not neccesarily increase the intensity, you could think about taking a second dose at ~2hours after the first. I've done it and have found that I usually need a larger dose, but if you plan to try this, try having the same or slightly less then your initial dose and see how you respond.

Yes well mushroom afterglow can be pretty long in my experience but only when you had a full dose and a full trip. I have no idea if it is the kinetics or if it is a big psychological component that maintains the deep peace but augments it with relief... I guess that the reliability of DMT afterglow feelings kind of shows that it is mostly dose-dependent.
When you do a low dose trip, the levels in your blood drop off relatively more quickly (well not at a higher rate) and none of the above will probably be relevant.

So this is normal, thanks.

I guess I'll try again, but with a really low dose (<0.5) and with a larger dose, maybe 1.5-2g.

Now I have one more question: While I'm awake and can't sleep on shrooms, I'll also get a strange feeling in my head, feeling somehow tired and like there was pressure in my head. I've also noticed that a lot of these moment you get when you drive up to a higher place and your ears "open" somehow (there is a noise in your ear).

Is this normal, too? I kinda think it's because I take Lyrica- It was only 50 mg, but I although have problems enjoying MDMA since I take it.
The roll isn't very intense, but at the same time I experience more unwanted side effects.

I've already searched for it, but while there is something to be found on Lyrica and serotonin, there's nothing about Tryptamines.
As it is said that Lyrica dulls monoaminergic activity, would that be also true for Tryptamines?
Ime Amphetamine still works pretty fine...

OP; here are my experiences with mushrooms

< 1.0g ~45 minutes to peak, plateau of 40-60 minutes and a ~90 minute trail off (a bit more than 3 hours in total)
1.0 - 3.5g ~50-60 minutes to peak, plateau of about 90 minutes and a 2 hour drop off (4 1/2 hours roughly)
3.5 - 6.0g ~70 minutes to peak, plateau of ~ 2 hours and a 2-4 hour drop off (5-7 hours total)
6.0 + g ~70 minutes to peak, plateau of ~2-2 1/2 hours and a 3-5 hour drop off (say 6-8 hours total).

Yeah, basically the more I take, the higher I get and the longer it lasts. For me, CEV's are what I call or perceive as active engagement with the mushroom; this is during the plateau. On the drop off, I still get visual patterning, some tracers and color enhancements, but I can tell I'm coming down. I've never redosed, only ever taken larger initial doses.

With large doses (6+g) I find there is a chance that I won't feel normal the next morning. I can still get wide awake 'sleep startles' for a few hours.

Tom

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Will keep that in mind for the next time.

Anybody got an idea to my last question?

Pregabalin could most certainly attenuate some effects of psychedelics though not in a metabolic sense, but more in a neurological/inhibitory way. Reduced excitation of neurons could plausibly lead to decreased subjective effects of psychedelics.

The symptoms you described are vaguely reminiscent of symptoms often associated with serotonergic imbalance/disruption ie. brain zaps, tinnitus, balance issues, etc. I'd say they are induced by the mushrooms, not the lyrica. Speculative of course, because I don't know...

:)